It Can't be Normal

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Re: It Can't be Normal

Post by CaplockHunter »

I see most hunters go there. It kind of proves my point that RFF is not that good for elk hunting. I did go to Whitehart a couple of times but it's not my type of terrain. I like the mountains. ;)

With that said i'm considering hunting for moose and that sure isn't the mountains but they are up there too. Not too crazy about the swampy areas. However, with my crummy vision I can see the moose pretty good. :mrgreen:

Moose aren't the hardest animal to hunt but they aren't hard for everybody. The competition is with the other hunters not how hard the animal is to hunt or some silly rules. So, I might try moose hunting for a while. I can use my .340 for it. I need to get my percentages up for it. I didn't realize every shot we take is considered a shot at an animal. Even if we shoot it into the ground. Everytime a bear bluff charged me and ran away I shot a couple of shots over it's head to scare it. Those all counted as missed shots. So, I need to get out and shoot some moose.

Ever have moose meat? Man, it's good. As good as elk meat. Bison is another good one. Deer venison I can do without. Black bear is good depending on what it's been eating. Pronghorn taste like sage. Mule deer does too. I hate sage.

There I go again rambling on and on. That comes from living alone and not talking to anybody, except my dog and he just chews his bone when I start talking
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I tried Timbergold again. I shot two bulls and two grizz. I didn't really enjoy myself.

I'll stick to Red Feather and just deal with any problems it has.

I've got some work to do. I pulled all my tents off of RFF thinking I was going to TG. It's going to be a lot of hiking to get them all back,
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

CaplockHunter wrote:I tried Timbergold again. I shot two bulls and two grizz. I didn't really enjoy myself.

I'll stick to Red Feather and just deal with any problems it has.

I've got some work to do. I pulled all my tents off of RFF thinking I was going to TG. It's going to be a lot of hiking to get them all back,
north northwest for elk (watch out for the bear!) amicalement
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
jack30286
Tracker

Post by jack30286 »

One tip for RFF is to end your hunt at Darkood Lodge. Fast traveling back to lodge triggers a call 90% of the time with 60% being elk calls.
Spoiler:
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Today was a better day. No comp just hunting for fun. Lots of animals.

Tomorrow starts an elk comp. Watch i'll be back to no elk again for the comp.
Pete

Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

RFF can be feast or famine for Elk looking in the historic places depending on the spawn. They are always there but are often not in those historic places and tucked away in other areas of the map. That said, even when it is feast sometimes the big bulls just are not in the spawn.

This hunt is from back in the good old days of RFF before the changes:

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/deco ... n/42847252

Even then, 46 Elk down and only 2 over 300 with the best being 335.

It is certainly nothing like RME on Timbergold but I can always manage to find them. Happy to hook up in a MP game and show the ropes some time.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

you are right but maybe they are rare because too many females? I ask the question and maybe I am wrong! friendly
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

Once I was often in SC for hunting Wapiti, but now it is no longer a good place for that.
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

Same experience here too. RFF elks have been easy to hunt earlier, but last few elk competitions made me feeling that there are poachers in EHR again, and Doc sleeps surrounded by empty ginger ale cans and doesn't want to look around.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

_dfad_ wrote:Doc sleeps surrounded by empty ginger ale cans and doesn't want to look around.
You sure it isn't something a little stronger?

Doc sure is one creepy SOB, that's for sure....

Return to “General Chat”