Spawn?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Spawn?

Post by CaplockHunter »

Ok, i've tried to work this out myself but i'm still not sure. I read WIKI and watch videos. I'm still not sure on how the animals spawn.

I'll give two examples and if you know for sure. Tell me which one will show me the most animals in a competition. Would one way have a better chance for a high scoring buck?

To make this simple. Let's say it a blacktail competition for the biggest scoring blacktail with 10 attempts. It's two day as usual and let's call them Mon and Tues. We'll use the most northern section (island?) of RFF. It's suppose to be just blacktail and bear. Mostly anyway. Just so there's no spooking. Everytime the game is started I fast travel to a tent in the northern section of map. All hunting is done in just that section for both examples.

Example 1 on Monday.
Start at 8am game time and playing straight until 6pm. 10 hours in game. Just one attempt is used.

Example 2 on Tuesday.
I start at 8am game time and start a new game at 8am every two hours of game time. I do that 5 times for 10 game hours of play and 5 attempts.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
Mrmr123
Outfitter

Re: Spawn?

Post by Mrmr123 »

I personally go for comps using example 2, since there is no guaranty of a big guy in every session, so make no sense for me to waste a whole day just on one session, i rather play few short sessions and use all my attempts.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Mrmr123 wrote:I personally go for comps using example 2, since there is no guaranty of a big guy in every session, so make no sense for me to waste a whole day just on one session, i rather play few short sessions and use all my attempts.
I've been doing the same but got to wondering if it's the best plan.
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

There is no good answer to the question, because the buck scores spawned into any given game are random (actually a normalized bell curve). If the single 10 hour game did spawn an abnormally high scoring buck you'd have been better off spending the 10 hours looking for that trophy. If that game didn't spawn a high scoring buck, then no matter how long you stay in that hunt, you're not going to find one. But of course you can't know that.

Although I'd personally prefer to hunt each spawn more than 2 game hours (only 1 hour IRL), you're probably better off playing multiple shorter games because you're likely to spot more bucks and hope one of them is high scoring. As you know, the black tail mainly spawn in the northern (and somewhat western) areas of RFF, but since they spread out (south and east) as the day goes on, the "density" is dropping as time passes.

Of course your play style matters as well. If you mostly stand hunt or still hunt (moving slowly), then you won't cover much ground in a shorter hunt, so you might miss a monster on the other side of the reserve from where you spawned.

If you move fast, and cover a lot of ground you're likely to come across more deer (and tracks) during a hunt. I'm usually on the move all the time, and fairly quickly, because I have high tracking and spotting skills, and understand the AI well enough to be confident that if see a big buck, or find heavy tracks, I can catch up to and spot the buck fairly quickly, even if I spooked it originally.
Personal Bests...
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I think in your example, the 2nd option is definitely better. But only because you are staying on that NW island.
If during the 10 hr hunt you covered more ground, like the entire blacktail area (NW 2/3 of the reserve), then you greatly increase your odds for that longer hunt.

Similar to Fletch's suggestion, I would try to use up all my attempts, and try to cover the entire spawn area for blacktail in each hunt. Maximize your chances.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

To be honest staying on one attempt all day hasn't worked out. Even traveling on all of the RFF map. Maybe it was a bad spawn. It was frustrating to travel so much and see so little. Other times there's so many animals I have a hard time picking one to shoot. I tend to use up attempts fast. Most of the time i've used them in the first day unless it's 10 attempts. I get impatient when I don't see any animals and think using another attempt will help. Usually, it doesn't

I guess luck plays a big part but some players sure get lucky a lot.

It's rare that if I see an animal or get a call that I don't get the kill if it's worthy. However, if I don't see anything or hear anything. I'm on the bottom of the comp list. Not a happy place to be. I'm too competitive for my own good. I could hunt relaxed and traditionally in real hunting because I only needed one animal in a 9 day season. This game is so different. It's hunting but it's not hunting too.
Pete

Kinarr
Tracker

Post by Kinarr »

My approach to competitions is to ignore the debate over one long attempt or 10 quick attempts.
My method is to just make sure I've got the details right to qualify (correct weapon, correct distance, etc) and then let LUCK put me in the top 3 positions.
Because it really does come down to luck to be a winner, anyway.
Always try to be "in it to win it".
Be persistent and cover lots of ground.
Only enter multiplayer comps, as single player is lonely. If the host kicks me, or closes his hunt, just move on and host your own.
Spoiler:
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

If you knew the trouble I went through to find complete solitude in my real hunting. You'd know you'll never see me in multi. ;)

I don't get lonely. I love my company. :D
Pete

calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

CaplockHunter wrote:If you knew the trouble I went through to find complete solitude in my real hunting. You'd know you'll never see me in multi. ;)

I don't get lonely. I love my company. :D
I love this quote!
I don't feel alone. I love my company.! you're awesome..... :D :D :D me too !
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

I tend to like doing longer hunts (3-4 hours real time) so that's what I usually start out with, and if I have hunts left toward the end of the comp I might finish with some short hunts (half an hour to an hour real time). Basically, for the later hunts I'm just starting a new game instead of using a fast travel to try a new area.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)

Return to “General Chat”