Classy Classic Guns

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Classy Classic Guns

Post by CaplockHunter »

Yes, it's true I love the Hawken rifle. The real one. Not the TC copy of a Hawken in game. However, I give credit to EA for having muzzleloaders at all.

That's not what this thread is about though. I'm talking about classic center fire rifles. I owned a ton of them all my life. I hunted with the Hawken for a challenge but CF rifle were my hobby. You could always find me at the range shooting a new rifle. I'd shoot some in competition target shooting. Reloaded for all of them. It's no wonder after my first 7 year marriage I stayed single the rest of my life.

I always liked deep bluing and top end walnut stocks. The classic bolt action guns. Some production and some from the custom shop. What I never owned and I don't know why was a Weatherby. Classy, strong, powerful guns. The Mark V Deluxe in classic wood with rosewood trim is a thing of beauty. It's a $2500 gun but I spent more than that on other guns. My Hawken was more.

I got to looking at the Weatherby .340 in game and said.......Pete! That's the gun you wanted but never bought! So, I told myself i'm not going to do it in game too. So, i'm going to buy it after this thread. I already have the 3x9x40 scope, so I think i'll get the 2x10x42 to go along with the gun too.

I'm sure i'll love the gun and it will be my elk, moose, and bear gun. It's a shame in game they don't also offer it in lighter bullets for deer which is done with the real gun. No matter. It's a perfect elk gun at any range.

How about those who own one? How do you like it?

btw..I'll still play with the muzzleloaders but I also needed a gun like this to scratch that classic gun itch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ayZAH ... atherbyInc
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Classy Classic Guns

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I have it but very seldom use it. It is only a 3 shot mag and the reload action is slow and clunky compared to some of the other guns in the same category. I know Im gonna get screamed at but personally I like the 30r far better and the 45.70 lever action for the really big beasties..
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

DanthemanBoone wrote:I have it but very seldom use it. It is only a 3 shot mag and the reload action is slow and clunky compared to some of the other guns in the same category. I know Im gonna get screamed at but personally I like the 30r far better and the 45.70 lever action for the really big beasties..
Yep, that is one of my favs too, the .45.70 Buffalo rifle takes 2nd place to that. I do use the .340 as well, but I also agree- it is clunky and slow to reload. Still, it'll knock down everything big in the game. It basically comes down to what you like best, lever action or BAR. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Nothing is slower or more clunky than a muzzleloader and I used one for 40 years.

I'm more concerned with how it looks and shoots. I only need one shot.

Stop shooting running animals in the butt and it won't seem so clunky. ;)
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

CaplockHunter Wrote.
Stop shooting running animals in the butt and it won't seem so clunky. ;)

LOL. I once shot a red stag high up on a slip as it was climbing directly away. Dropped it cold then waited till it finished tumbling almost right to my feet. When I got to it I couldnt find a bullet hole anywhere. However during the course of gutting it I discovered the bullet had entered exactly in the centre of its anus, travelled through the gut and blown the lungs. There was no bruising anywhere in that carcass.
I sold it for top price as a head shot.
A classic shot with a classic rifle , 303 ex army surplus.
Nothing wrong with a well executed Texas heart shot.

BCKidd mentions the 45.70 Buffalo rifle. I have that as well. Another old single shot rifle that would look good with the trapper outfit. Great sound and Knock down power. Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it for you as it has a terrible scope.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Dan.......If the .300 mag had a stock like the .340 mag I never would have bought the .340 mag. I can't stand the stock on the .300 mag. Black wood. What's that? Give me walnut please.

So, I have the .340 mag and love the way it looks and knocks the snot out of big game. However, I can't hunt deer with it. So, i'm thinking of buying the .270 for just deer. That's all it's good for. Not even black bear can be shot with it. Which is silly. Lot's of guys haunt elk with a .270. Black bear is as easy to kill as deer. We a noob asks on the real hunting forum what to use for balck bear. Everybody will just say........Use your deer rifle.

So, my plan is use the .340 mag for elk. .270 for deer. Carry the .454 handgun for bear no mater what rifle i'm using. I only kill bears when they charge and a stout handgun is the best choice. That way I have nice classic maple stocks and bluing on my main rifles.

Texas heart shots is right. I won't tell what we say to Texas hunters who come up the Colorado to hunt.
Pete

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

You are right about the 270. Its got basically the same permissions as the 243. I would strongly recommend the 30r as a substitute because it will take everything on Redfeather and Timbergold, has great knockdown power, (more than enough for moose), almost as flat shooting as the 340 or 300, two exremely rapid shots, takes the big scope and means you only have to carry the one rifle. Aesthetically has three variations. Have a look at them and Give it some thought.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I always carry just one rifle. I've never seen a hunter carrying two rifles unless he was just hauling to camp. Not during a hunt.

When I said .270 for deer and .340 for elk. I only hunt one at a time. I will carry the .454 handgun not matter what rifle I use. It works too good on bears to shoot them with anything else during a charge. Especially, the grizz.

If I wanted an o/u rifle and a metric caliber I have the 9.3x74R. It's legal for anything I hunt and knocks the snot out of all of them. A nice wood stock too.

I just wanted a classic bolt action in American calibers.
Pete

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

This damn thread has cost me 17000 gms.
Checking out the 30r variations I found myself beginning to lust after
the premium version of the 30r, the one with the carved chestnut stock
and the gold engravings.
I knew I didnt need it. My plain standard version can do everything that
this seductress can do and plain jane that she is, standard has been my most loyal
companion since the day I first met her.
I tried sitting on my hands in an attempt to prevent me accessing the
buy now button but that made me tip my head towards my desk,
and some how my nose came into contact with the mouse and now
I own the bloody thing.
I can never forgive myself for succumbing to the temptation
Im sure it was accidental.
Last edited by DanthemanBoone on November 16th, 2021, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

LOL..We're alike. We see something we like and it will drive us crazy if we don't get it.

I just joined a blacktail comp. I have to start in the starter class due to my new name/account. I haven't bought the .270 yet and grabbed the .300 mag for the comp. I must say the .300 mag is a heck of a deer killer. I'd give anything to get a maple stock on it. I'm trying to convince myself the black wood stock doesn't look so bad. It's not working but i'm trying.

.300 mag for deer.
.340 mag for elk.
.454 handgun for charging bears.

No fooling around with wimpy guns for this old man. :lol:

btw..Glad you got a gun you really wanted. It's only money. ;)
Pete

Return to “General Chat”