Classy Classic Guns

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Re: Classy Classic Guns

Post by CaplockHunter »

I did some research on black wood used on the .300 mag. I have a new respect for it. It's very expensive and very hard. Hard to work with but will last forever.

I think the .340 mag looks better but the .300 mag is a better all around gun because of the animals it's ethical to hunt. I'll skip the .270 and stay with the .300 mag and .340 mag. Maye just the .300 mag unless the .340 mag really impresses me when I hunt with it. I haven't found a comp I can use it on yet.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I did an elk hunt with the .340 mag today. The .300 mag is a good gun but it just lost out to the Weatherby .340 mag. What a brute. Good looks and muscle too. It just became my elk gun.

I bought the Grey Wolf .270 for deer. I'm all set for guns now.

If a comp won't let me use these two guns for elk and deer. I'll pass and wait for comps that will.
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I think I found my go to weapon. A gun I can use in all my hunting. The.340 is a nice gun but a bit much for elk and moose. When shot it spooks all the animals for a zip code. The .270 is nice for just deer but that's it. I can't shoot a grumpy bear. If a trophy elk comes into view I can't shoot it. It's pretty much just an deer gun. Which is too bad. My buddy shot an elk at 550yds with a .270. Jack O'Connor shot everything all over the world with a .270. Oh well. So, I needed a classic gun between a .300 mag/.340 mag and the .270.

I believe I found it in the .30-06 Stutzen Bolt Action Rifle. I like it's looks, sound, and accuracy. I'll hunt with it tomorrow. To go along with it I got the Army complete outfit with boonie hat and scarf. The green camo should work well on RFF for the deer family animals.

My dad used a 30-06 in WW2 and hunted with one all his life. I've always liked the cartridge. Not too strong and not too weak. Just right. Put the shot where it belongs and it's meat in the freezer.
Pete

mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

That's my go to deer and elk rifle. I love it.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Me too after hunting with it.

I wish I had tried it before buying all the guns I have now.

I just have to decide what scope I want on it now. I love the reticle on the 3x9x40 but it only comes in silver and it looks lousy on the gun. The other one is the 2x10x42. I love the looks of it on the gun and like the 3 power settings of 2/6/10. Great for up close and far. As far as I want to shoot anyway. The problem is the black crosshairs are hard to see in the timber. The only way I can see them is to wear the yellow glasses. The perfect scope would be the 3x9x40 in black (not sure why that isn't offered) or the 2x10x42 with an illuminated red dot at center crosshairs like the 3x9x40.
Pete

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

The thing that restricts the 270 in this game is the fact that is only supplied with 130gr ammo. In real life I was able to buy several options right up to 220gr ammo off the shelf. The 150g being the easiest to find. Shooting elk with 130g ammo is not recommended.
But, both the 270 and 30.06 can use 150 gr bullets and the resulting energy figures at 200 yards are very surprising. The 270 is actually returning better trajectory, higher velocity and energy at that range. The 30.06 comes into its own with heavier projectiles and greater energy at longer ranges.
In my earlier hunting days I used .303 British with CAC 150gr semi pointed soft, then later .270 and 30.06 extensively and exclusively with 150.gr Norma soft point projectiles on Red deer and pigs.
Very little perceivable difference, if any, in the results.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I hate to disagree Dan but the .270 can't shoot a 220gr bullet. It would way too long for the .270 twist to stabilize it. The 130gr is the normal bullet for the .270. The problem with the .270 in game is the not the weight of the bullet but the construction. They used the Ballistic Tip. Good for long range but is weak in terminal performance. They should have used the Nosler Partition. That's what Jack O'Connor used and he made the .270 famous. I was happy to see they used the Nosler Partition in the 30-06 Stutzen I just bought. It knocked down everything I shot today. Elk, bear, and of course deer.

The 220gr would be a stretch for the 30-06. In game they used a 200gr bullet for the .300 mag and .340 mag. Although a 220gr would have been better in the .340. maybe even a .250gr. It will take up to a 300gr, so 200gr is a light bullet for the .340. However, the .340 is almost a 34 caliber. (338) The .270 is a 27 caliber. Way too small for heavy bullets. There is a 160gr bullet for the .270 but nobody uses it. It won't stabilize and isn't accurate. Up close it might be alright but nobody uses a .270 to shoot close. It's a flat shooting round and does well on long shots.

Sorry Dan. I don't like to correct anybody but the 220gr was a bit more than I could accept.
Pete

CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I've said most of my life the .270 is a perfect deer rifle and most hunters will agree. Some do use it for elk but it's near the bottom of the list for elk rifle. It takes perfect placement and a sturdy modern bullet.

I'm sure the devs put a lot of thought into making the .270 a deer gun. It worked fine for me and i'm still open to using for deer hunting. The Grey Wolf model is a nice looking gun.

Tough choice with what I have. .270, 30-06, 300 mag, .340 mag, 9.3x74R.
Pete

DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Caplock Hunter Wrote..
"I hate to disagree Dan but the .270 can't shoot a 220gr bullet. It would way too long for the .270 twist to stabilize it"

If you haven't seen it or used it I would respectfully suggest you are not qualified to make such a definitive judgement.
Your experience and mine are totally different both in the weapons used and hunting methods employed in our separate countries
Much of what you write is totally outside my reality, but I would never be so arrogant as to say your opinion is wrong. Just different.
During the time I worked for the NZ Forest Service we were issued either. 222 or 303 ammo for Red deer. I owned and used a .222 and shot a lots of deer with it. Later when I went Private I upgraded to .223 and spent the last 20 years using that calibre. I dont believe it is even possible to legally use a .223 for deer in most states in America.
130gr was not the "normal" bullet, it was the original bullet designed with the 270. Almost very gun ever built has had its original load superseded by later development by both wildcatters and commercial interests. Can you categorically state that O"Conner never ever used a different load?
150 gr Norma loads were the most popular among 270 users, recreational, Culling or meat hunting here in N.Z. Here they would be considered the "normal" load for a 270.
Now I have never seen or heard of a 160gr load, That dosnt mean it never existed. But having checked I find that it does and is still available.
As Shakespeare was once to write,
"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy [science]."

Or mine.

Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

CaplockHunter wrote: Tough choice with what I have. .270, 30-06, 300 mag, .340 mag, 9.3x74R.
Wait? You can have too many guns? Dad had a pretty nice good collection of hunting rifles, and was always looking for more. I remember him buying an old box of ammo at a gun show that he knew was hard to find and then telling me "now all we need is the rifle". I think there are several boxes of ammo in the gun cases waiting for their rifles to show up.

That 3-9x40mm scope is my favorite, but I do wish there were some other color variations to choose from.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)

Return to “General Chat”