Classy Classic Guns

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Classy Classic Guns

Post by DanthemanBoone »

To CaplockHunter.
In an attempt to prove the erroneous nature of your statement I spent nearly 2 hours on the web
checking every manufacturer of .277 cal projectiles I could find.
Currently there is nothing larger than a 160gr projectile for .277 cal available anywhere.
There are also no historical records of 180gr or 220gr so the possibility that they were handloaded
seems unlikely either. Even the 160gr bears a notation regarding possible insufficient stabilization.
This leaves me totally flummoxed and in a rather embarrassed state.
All I can say is that I was given five 270 rounds from a fellow hunter who informed me they were
220gr rounds.
The projectiles were huge, longer and blunter than the normal projectile, extending nearly a third further
than the normal 270 round, being of the type we commonly referred to as round nose soft point.
A configuration common in 30.30 and 180gr 303 British.
This was back in 1971 when I was 21 years old , new to the pro hunting fraternity, in retrospect possibly the
victim of a mischievous joke. Its common to wind up new guys for the entertainment of the more
experienced in many workplaces. Here in NZ it is almost a national pastime.
He has passed on, having died in a helicopter crash doing what he loved..
While I dont wish to speak ill of the dead, I can imagine him still having a good laugh at my
expense.
I spent some time on the roof of a land rover with four of those rounds in the mag and one up the spout
behind a half open bolt , waiting for our dogs to flush some pigs through a clearing.
But their arrival never eventuated.
So I never got to fire them and soon after sold the rifle and spare ammo, in favor of a new .222....
in order to join a team culling goats on Mt Egmont in the central North Island.

Ive been wrong many times in my life and probably will be again. But we stop learning if we refuse to open
our minds to opposing points of view. I should have checked before I spat the dummy.
Now I feel I probably owe you an apology for so vigorously questioning your assessment of my statement
regarding 220gr .270 ammo.
And so I do so without reserve.
Cheers.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

DanthemanBoone wrote:To CaplockHunter.
In an attempt to prove the erroneous nature of your statement I spent nearly 2 hours on the web
checking every manufacturer of .277 cal projectiles I could find.
Currently there is nothing larger than a 160gr projectile for .277 cal available anywhere.
There are also no historical records of 180gr or 220gr so the possibility that they were handloaded
seems unlikely either. Even the 160gr bears a notation regarding possible insufficient stabilization.
This leaves me totally flummoxed and in a rather embarrassed state.
All I can say is that I was given five 270 rounds from a fellow hunter who informed me they were
220gr rounds.
The projectiles were huge, longer and blunter than the normal projectile, extending nearly a third further
than the normal 270 round, being of the type we commonly referred to as round nose soft point.
A configuration common in 30.30 and 180gr 303 British.
This was back in 1971 when I was 21 years old , new to the pro hunting fraternity, in retrospect possibly the
victim of a mischievous joke. Its common to wind up new guys for the entertainment of the more
experienced in many workplaces. Here in NZ it is almost a national pastime.
He has passed on, having died in a helicopter crash doing what he loved..
While I dont wish to speak ill of the dead, I can imagine him still having a good laugh at my
expense.
I spent some time on the roof of a land rover with four of those rounds in the mag and one up the spout
behind a half open bolt , waiting for our dogs to flush some pigs through a clearing.
But their arrival never eventuated.
So I never got to fire them and soon after sold the rifle and spare ammo, in favor of a new .222....
in order to join a team culling goats on Mt Egmont in the central North Island.

Ive been wrong many times in my life and probably will be again. But we stop learning if we refuse to open
our minds to opposing points of view. I should have checked before I spat the dummy.
Now I feel I probably owe you an apology for so vigorously questioning your assessment of my statement
regarding 220gr .270 ammo.
And so I do so without reserve.
Cheers.
It's ok. I consider you a friend and really felt bad about my post to you. My intention was to delete it this morning but I won't now so this all makes sense. No apology needed. You were speaking about something you believed to be true.

I would like to talk about my experience. I always talk about my Hawken muzzleloader and it's true I hunted with it for decades for elk. I never used it for any other hunting. Deer, bear, pronghorn, coyotes, sheep, and goats were all done with bows and center fire guns. Plus, caribou and moose for food when working a gold claim in Alaska. I love guns and bows. I've owned and sold enough guns to supply a gun shop. Yes, many .270's included. I reloaded as a hobby for all my guns and for a few friends. I was always at the range testing loads or shooting in competitions. Guns and hunting has been my life. I won't say anything about guns or ammo unless I know it's true to the best of my knowledge and have personal experience with it.

So, let's forget this and move on. It's all good.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

.30-06 classic. I can´t use it anymore. I got it today. I think its the only rifle I don´t have beside the british .303 I refuse to ever buy.

But first shot 306 metre whitetail. he disappeared from the rendering scale just after I shot him. Then on my way to him I spotted some nice red looking feral hog. He seem to go straight towards me at a pace but there was a lot of shrubs so I knew I would loose sight of him. Sure enough while trying to find a good spot to lurk I noticed he was already on me. I didn´t even had time to take a breath pretty much shot him at point blank in all the shrub. But I found it weird he all suddenly appeared so white. Was another pig white black spotted piebald that went perfectly for the summer fiesta mission. Now every shot I make will just ruin the statistics I feel.

But anyway I was positively surprised. The studzen is the worst sounding rifle in the game I feared this would share the same audio profile but no it has it´s owned improved samples. I never understood why studzen get so hyped about the sound. On my headphones it´s so muted and dull like there is a silencer on. The classic 30-06 has a really nice crack.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

and yet I like it because it was my first gun! :D
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)

Return to “General Chat”