Prone

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Prone

Post by CaplockHunter »

Just a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to on WIKI.

When going prone which I love to do. I've read we're almost invisible. I agree the elk will walk up to me within 3M, sniff the air and bolt. I can see this is programmed into the code. It's smell though and not sight. They seem to have no clue i'm there until they sniff up close.

My question is.........does it matter what we wear? Can I wear anything and still be invisible if i'm prone?
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Prone

Post by HooCairs »

You are not invisible when prone. If you wear full camo and are prone, if a fox comes closer than 30m it will see you.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

All animals have different sensitivity to your presence, first by species and then by trophy value within the species. Your stance will decrease detection range IE. crouching is better than standing and prone is better than crouching. An elk cow might walk over you when you are in prone, but a 430 scoring bull would detect you far earlier.
Sitting in a tree stand wearing the correct camo and scent reducer with the wind in the right direction seems to be the closest to "Invisible" you can get. Even HooCairs most highly trained fox might stop under your tree and call, But not for long.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Now that I think about it. The ones that came up to 3M were cows and younger bulls. If they had a good rack I shot them long before they got that close.

Ok, i'll keep wearing what works for elk. Trapper outfit and B&C outfit.

Thanks Hoo and Dan.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.

Return to “General Chat”