Why .270 and .300 are single-shot weapons in the game?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
herajika
Tracker

Why .270 and .300 are single-shot weapons in the game?

Post by herajika »

It annoys me. Not a fact that they are single-shot as I actually like single shot weapons, but that their models clearly have magazines. It makes no sense. Plus it's not like it would make sense from balance point of view too. We have plenty of comparable magazine-fed rifles like .308 or 9.3x62, so why such strange restriction for these two?
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: Why .270 and .300 are single-shot weapons in the game?

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Because they were among the first rifles available in game. 243,270, and 300. I believe the 30.06 lever action was the first rifle to have an operational magazine.
Most of the other magazine rifles came after EW took over from the original owners of the game.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

No reason they can't update them to have a magazine.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

It probably wont happen as any attempt to alter the original coding usually leads to disruption and "unexpected consequences". This has been the result of some past attempts to alter earlier coding, so the developers are reluctant to mess with it. The safer option has been to make new items.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

DanthemanBoone wrote:It probably wont happen as any attempt to alter the original coding usually leads to disruption and "unexpected consequences". This has been the result of some past attempts to alter earlier coding, so the developers are reluctant to mess with it. The safer option has been to make new items.
This would be the smart thing to do anyway. Why not expand the arsenal and make your efforts show dividends? I for one would certainly buy whatever new weapons they would produce, and if there was another .300 added to the Store the lineup would be around the corner. Great item to add just before Christmas too.
_dfad_
Scout

Post by _dfad_ »

This would require rewriting many missions, as they become easier in this case. I don't like this idea.

"5 FPS at Picabeen Bay" club ;)
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

_dfad_ wrote:This would require rewriting many missions, as they become easier in this case. I don't like this idea.
No? There's no missions that would require rewriting as there's no mission in the game that would be easier if these weapons would be made magazine-fed.

We could argue that if we change .243 to be magazine-fed for example, it would make second to last bobcat mission much easier, since you need to shot fleeing bobcat which is small and relatively fast animal. But then we already have scout rifle which is permitted for bobcats too, so even that is debatable. And then there's no reason to change .243 in the first place as its model doesn't have visible removable magazine and it makes sense that free rifle with free ammo is a little more primitive than others. No other missions require fast follow-up shots with single-shot rifles as far as I know. At least not any mission that involves .270 and .300.

As for changing old code, I don't see how this could be a problem. In worst case, if by some strange reason these two rifles have incompatible implementation with other rifles, you just create new rifle on existing template (.308 or 7x64 would fit) and use existing animation for it. All you need is model of removable magazine and a little tweaked rifle model where magazine is cut off. Then you give this new rifle ID of the old rifle and the work is done. Since almost all resources for them are already there, it's probably just a few hours work.

That said, I don't expect for any changes to these rifles. If we can't have proper reload for lever-action guns, which would be probably half an hour work of rearranging couple of lines in the code, it would be naïve to expect changes that requires more work. And I understand that. A team working on the game is very small and they prefer to spend their time on removing serious bugs and making new animals. I understand that. If to choose between seeing these two rifles to be fixed or to see a fallow deer a little sooner, I would definitely choose deer every time. I was just a little annoyed with wrong models for the rifles and wanted to know why they were that way.
Dr_ViEr
Hunter

Post by Dr_ViEr »

Grizzly mission 7 (3 bears shot fleeing with the. 300) would definitely be easier.
Spoiler:
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Dr_ViEr wrote:Grizzly mission 7 (3 bears shot fleeing with the. 300) would definitely be easier.
Then it would be a different mission. It's hard now do to the delay in loading.

Don't always look for easier. Get better at it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

OldMtnMan wrote:
Dr_ViEr wrote:Grizzly mission 7 (3 bears shot fleeing with the. 300) would definitely be easier.
Then it would be a different mission. It's hard now do to the delay in loading.

Don't always look for easier. Get better at it.
I'm sure Dr_ViEr haven't asked for easier mission, he just gave an example of mission that would be easier if .300 was magazine-fed. Which, yes, is true. But even that mission isn't really about quick shooting, it's about finding place where you can have clear view of fleeing bear. You don't need more than one shot on it. And grizzlies is both slow and predictable in their run. But formally, yes, we could see it as one example of mission that could become a little easier.

Return to “General Chat”