Why .270 and .300 are single-shot weapons in the game?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Why .270 and .300 are single-shot weapons in the game?

Post by OldMtnMan »

A grizz can run 35mph. You wouldn't think that was slow if it was coming at you.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

OldMtnMan wrote:A grizz can run 35mph. You wouldn't think that was slow if it was coming at you.
I'm sure I wouldn't. And still, in the game a fleeing grzzly is relatively slow and predictable target.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm not familiar with that challenge. Are you supposed to shoot 3 fleeing grizzlies at once or one at a time? It must be 3 at once or it wouldn't matter about reload time. How do you get 3 grizzlies fleeing together?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

OldMtnMan wrote:I'm not familiar with that challenge. Are you supposed to shoot 3 fleeing grizzlies at once or one at a time? It must be 3 at once or it wouldn't matter about reload time. How do you get 3 grizzlies fleeing together?
No. Just need to harvest 3 bears killed with .300 rifle while they were fleeing. One after another. It doesn't need to be even in one hunt. It's a relatively easy mission.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

herajika wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:I'm not familiar with that challenge. Are you supposed to shoot 3 fleeing grizzlies at once or one at a time? It must be 3 at once or it wouldn't matter about reload time. How do you get 3 grizzlies fleeing together?
No. Just need to harvest 3 bears killed with .300 rifle while they were fleeing. One after another. It doesn't need to be even in one hunt. It's a relatively easy mission.
That makes more sense.

I guess taking just one shot isn't in the rules if a magazine will help.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

OldMtnMan wrote:
herajika wrote:
That makes more sense.

How would a magazine in the gun make the mission easier?
Theoretically you could miss first shot and you can quicker do a follow-up shot. Or you can quickly hit 2 body shots. 2 body shots with .300 is enough to kill grizzly in the game. But practically one shot of .300 from behind is almost guaranteed intestine hit, which kills grizzly in a matter of few minutes, so it wouldn't really give you much advantage over single-shot rifle. But again, some advantage is still an advantage.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

A mission promoting bad shots. Groan....
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
herajika
Tracker

Post by herajika »

OldMtnMan wrote:A mission promoting bad shots. Groan....
Sadly, it's not the worst offender. At least here you can, if you want, to make all 3 shots a clean lung shots which would kill all bears in a matter of seconds. But how about mission where you need to harvest 3 brown bears with shotgun shots from 60+meters? There's a very slim chance to make heart shot from that distance, so your most reliable strategy is to just shot bear in the guts and wait him to die from bleeding. And since you also need to harvest a bunch of other animals and do it all in one hunt, you don't really have much choice at all. It doesn't feel good at all. I don't think that long shots with shotgun (50+ meters) should ever be a mission requirement.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I see a lot of comps that ask for unethical shooting. They seem to be popular, so who cares what I think. I don't have to enter them and don't. Easy enough.

I just wish this game would lean more towards being realistic but it's not going to happen. So, i'll just have to set my own way to hunt and that's ok too. Nobody cares what I do, but I do.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

There are a number of missions that promote unethical shooting and now quite a few competitions have been added that do the same. It's my least favorite part of the game.

Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it should be done.

I'm not perfect. I sometimes try shots that are too long for the weapon I'm using, but that's me making poor choices not me being encouraged to make poor choices by the game. There's a difference.

But apparently there are people that enjoy chasing bears around for hours pumping slugs into them until they get enough in them to bring them down, it's just not my thing.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)

Return to “General Chat”