Starting Over?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
jttoo
Hunter

Re: Starting Over?

Post by jttoo »

CaplockHunter wrote:I couldn't hit the side of a barn with my vision now.
Have you considered trying a bigger monitor?
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Seeing the sights is my problem. I can see the animals ok. As long as I use a scope with an illuminated reticle i'm ok.

I did enter a caplock comp for blacktail and I find using the scope and yellow glasses helps. Also turning gamma up all the way right (full bright) helps too. It's when the shadows get too dark I have a problem with sights. Illuminated cures that but not all guns has that option.

I should hunt a big animal like a moose with an illuminated scope and i'm fine but it's not much of a challenge.
Pete

Long live Hunter Classic.

Hunting elk with round lead balls. Perfect!

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I'm going to make an adjustment. When I say i'll kill no females. I was thinking about cow elk and deer does.

If an animal is aggressive and kills me. It's off my protection list. Kill me and I kill you. On RFF sow bears will be killed. On TGT i'll add mountain lions. I'd rather spend money on ammo than first-aid.

edit..I put the cow moose back on protection. I killed one and it will be the last. I'll leave them alone and try to stay out of their way.
Pete

You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Try using a dry erase marker & put a dot on the center of your screen. I like red. Pull up the RF binocs, or scope with crosshairs to find the center of the screen.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Tod1d wrote:Try using a dry erase marker & put a dot on the center of your screen. I like red. Pull up the RF binocs, or scope with crosshairs to find the center of the screen.
That always give a red dot on center of scope? I guess it would. Interesting idea.

Actually, I solved the problem. I shot some elk today with the .300 and scope with the red dot on center of crosshairs. Then the caplock with primitive scope with my new setup. I did fine with the caplock other than no long shots.

What I did was turn in game gamma all the way to the right. I turned my monitor brightness and contrast way up on brightness. Then I use the yellow glasses when shooting. Now I can see the crosshairs fine. I had tried the yellow glasses in the past but everything was too dark and the glasses didn't work as well as they do now.

So, I can use the caplock all the time now and just deal with taking close shots. Ok, with me.

Thanks.
Pete

CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

Well nuts! I love the caplock but I just had another failure on an elk. A nice elk that would have put me high in the comp. That's one too many failures for me for that gun. Not smart taking my name after it but i'm done with it and will have to live with the name.

I'll stay with a more modern gun that I can depend on.
Pete

calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

CaplockHunter wrote:Well nuts! I love the caplock but I just had another failure on an elk. A nice elk that would have put me high in the comp. That's one too many failures for me for that gun. Not smart taking my name after it but i'm done with it and will have to live with the name.

I'll stay with a more modern gun that I can depend on.
Good luck buddy and you have just discovered the game with its flaws and with its qualities! try the very reliable 7mm bp but this is just a tip! and stay as you are. also a big hug to Bud ;) ;)
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
CaplockHunter
Tracker

Post by CaplockHunter »

I just switched to the inline muzzleloader and went right to the top of the competition.

Good reason to stay with it a while. The conicals are good for elk and moose. I want to try the .45 sabots for deer. I have an itch for some venison stew. :D

Bud got his hug. ;)
Pete

calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

cool !
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, the OldMtnMan is back. Don't ask why it's too confusing. I had to use this account to get a match here, in game, and the Hunter website.

I never disliked this name and it's what I use on many forums. Plus, it's what I have on the side of the hood on my Jeep. So, it's good to have it back.

The content in game is all new to my present name of Bull_Elk but the name will be changed back to OldMtnMan when Nick has time. I'm trying to keep my gun stats at 100% for hits and kills but i'm sure I can't keep it like that forever. It's a good goal because it makes me careful with my shots like I was all my life in real hunting. A lot of times I just wouldn't shoot as it wasn't what I wanted. I'm proud that I never wounded an animal. I probably would have quit hunting if I had. I didn't hunt to make animals suffer. I wanted quick humane kills. I want the same thing in game which is why i'm not using any weak weapons anymore. No more caplock. It let me down too many times in game. The Weatherby is my new weapon now. Some say it's too easy. I say it's a proper bull elk gun. In real hunting and game.

Later.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”