Deer?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Deer?

Post by OldMtnMan »

I need a break from elk. I'm going stale and losing interest.

I do like Red Feather Falls and would like to stay there. That would leave out mule deer. So, my options are whitetail and blacktail.

What do you think I should focus on and why? New map to me still, so any help in general areas to hunt will be helpful although I have some idea. Nothing specific just general areas so i'm not wasting my time being in the wrong areas.

I considered moose but i'm going to leave that for later. Black bear is not something I want to hunt. I'll just kill them when I start to look like lunch.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Re: Deer?

Post by Fletchette »

Blacktail north....Whitetail south. As the hunt goes on they'll start to intermix in the middle as they roam around. Not many of either species on the extreme East side of the map early in the hunt, but they do eventually get there as the day goes on.
Personal Bests...
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Thanks. Any difference in how I hunt them? I haven't hunted for whitetail since I was a kid in Mass and i've never hunted for blacktail. I'm pretty much a muley hunter all my life.

I don't spend long days hunting unless it's a comp with 5 attempts.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

OldMtnMan wrote:Thanks. Any difference in how I hunt them? I haven't hunted for whitetail since I was a kid in Mass and i've never hunted for blacktail. I'm pretty much a muley hunter all my life.

I don't spend long days hunting unless it's a comp with 5 attempts.
Same techniques as muleys works for the other deer. Only real difference is that like muleys, the blacktail are often in groups, but the whitetail are always alone (singles).
Last edited by Fletchette on November 5th, 2021, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal Bests...
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

That was helpful. I prefer singles. Then I don't shoot more than I wanted to getting to the one I like. One buck is all I need. Shoot it or let it pass. Easy decision. All the does get a pass and I don't want them getting in the way like cows do for elk.

Ok, looks like i'll be in the south hunting for whitetail bucks. It will bring back my hunting as a youngster. I like it. :mrgreen:

Thanks again.

btw.......For those wondering why I ask about whitetails if I did it before. That was 60 years ago and I lost my memory somewhere about 10 years ago. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

OldMtnMan wrote:That was helpful. I prefer singles. Then I don't shoot more than I wanted to getting to the one I like. One buck is all I need. Shoot it or let it pass. Easy decision. All the does get a pass and I don't want them getting in the way like cows do for elk.

Ok, looks like i'll be in the south hunting for whitetail bucks. It will bring back my hunting as a youngster. I like it. :mrgreen:

Thanks again.

btw.......For those wondering why I ask about whitetails if I did it before. That was 60 years ago and I lost my memory somewhere about 10 years ago. ;)
hello Pete I do not have your experience that I like! but have you tried "Settler Creeks"? very hard for some ... Regards Patrick. ;)
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

OldMtnMan wrote:I need a break from elk. I'm going stale and losing interest.

I do like Red Feather Falls and would like to stay there. That would leave out mule deer. So, my options are whitetail and blacktail.

What do you think I should focus on and why? New map to me still, so any help in general areas to hunt will be helpful although I have some idea. Nothing specific just general areas so i'm not wasting my time being in the wrong areas.

I considered moose but i'm going to leave that for later. Black bear is not something I want to hunt. I'll just kill them when I start to look like lunch.
I liked vdb but I know it by heart! very interesting for deer and cerf and bears!amicalement

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I've only hunted on RFF and TG. I like to stay on a map until I really know it and don't need a map/huntermate to navigate. Plus, about where the animals I hunt hang out. That takes a while and I don't move to another map until I do. I picked two big maps to begin with, so it's taken me a while.

No rush. If I knew it all. Then what? I never want to get to that point.

Old man poking along trying to find something to eat.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

Blacktail are my choice but that's what I grew up with. The does will usually be in groups of five, but the bucks tend to be more solitary. You might find 2-3 in the same area but they aren't common in large groups like the Mulies are.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

yes it's true that's why I don't hunt when I see a herd of female

Return to “General Chat”