I'm Curious [real hunters & werewolves]

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

I'm Curious [real hunters & werewolves]

Post by OldMtnMan »

Just wondering. Are there any real hunters here that are hunting the werewolves?

If you are. What do you want from a hunting game? Game/arcade or sim?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Re: I'm Curious

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Yes. I play games for relaxation and fun. I'd whole lot rather be hunting in real life than hunting pixels. I started playing this game years ago when I was married to an anti hunter and it somewhat filled the gap of real hunting. But after we divorced I started hunting again in real life and hardly play this game anymore. I've always enjoyed Halloween and this event is a fun distraction for me for a few days. This game is a decent simulation of real hunting compared to anything else out there, but it will always just be a video game.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: I'm Curious

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, thanks for the post.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: I'm Curious [real hunters & werewolves]

Post by Tod1d »

Same here. Real hunter since I was 7-8 yrs old. (58 now). I enjoy all the different experiences in the game. I'm definitely more of a "sim" proponent than "game".
Rather than hunt only what I hunt in RL (Whitetail, Black Bear, Rabbits, Upland game birds), I like the ability to try out other environments & game species.
I'll likely never make it to Australia or Europe or the Arctic IRL, so it's nice to have a little bit of that experience in the game.
The Halloween event is just another diversion. It's fun, and it only lasts a week. I can enjoy it a bit, then hunt the other reserves when I get tired of it.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I understand Tod. I think I want to hunt what I did in real life because I was forced into retirement this year. I wanted to do in game what I couldn't do in real life anymore. However, that won't last forever and i'll get tired of it at some point. In real life i got to hunt for elk once a year for 9 days. In game i've already killed 670 elk to my 58 in real life ( I think I lost track of number) So, it's starting to get old. I already see I couldn't stick to using just the muzzleloader. I've bought a bunch of other guns and bows. Even a handgun. I'm wearing camo which I never did in real life. I'm taking long shots and killing cows. Never did that in real life either.

So, like you say. It's a game and let's us do hunting we never did or ever would have had the opportunity to do in real life. I just need to accept that. I can still go to the old traditional way of hunting wit the caplock when I feel like it but I shouldn't feel bad when I don't hunt that way. I'll just try different stuff and if I like it i'll do it for awhile and if I don't i'll move to something else. Using all the aids is ok and I shouldn't beat myself up for using them.

With that said. I'm not hunting for werewolves. I can at least stick to real animals to hunt. ;)
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

I enjoy the week with the werewolves because its an opportunity to sharpen my gaming skill reflexes in a way that real hunting never could.
I have hunted and shot huge numbers of animals here in New Zealand but all have been very much a passive undertaking. We dont have any truly dangerous animals, or animals that will attack without being severely challenged. Probably the most likely animal to attack would be the feral pigs but in 50 years hunting I have only ever hat one make any attempt to attack me personally.
So hunting werewolves is good practice for dealing with the dangerous animals encountered in the hunter classic and gives me an edge on the pigs, bears, Water buffs, bison and moose generally encountered in game. Sharpens my reflexes and provide an odd burst of adrenalin otherwise hard to come by the rest of the year.
There are lots of things I do in game that I would never have done in real life, Real life was a living, playing theHunter and its variants is pure fantasy.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

I've completed the mission and plan on getting to level one in the event for the 100 em$ and the t-shirt, but repeatedly getting run over by werewolves gets old for me pretty quick. It doesn't help that they seem even tougher to kill than last year.

I have managed to bag a 216 mule deer and a couple nice elk (375, 376). You can manage the mayhem a bit by packing a blind/stand with you and getting in it when you hear the werewolf getting ready to attack.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Hey Pete! As another retired hunter I always prefer realism in the game, but since it's only one reserve for one week, I don't mind the werewolves either. I only hunt on TGT for one Saturday each Halloween, just to try to grab the mission and first level rewards (like mel_o_mel 8-)) ... but that's it.

Other than that, I'll steer clear of Timbergold the entire week as well. I'll give it a shot today, and hopefully be done in a couple of hunts, but there's no tomorrow. (I do wish it was held on COTW instead though. ;))
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I probably never would have tried Red Feather elk hunting if it wasn't for the werewolf thing. So, I got something out of it. I really like Red Feather and i'll be hunting there for awhile. Even though the elk is different the rest of the animals are closer to Colorado than TG is. Even the terrain is like lower altitude Colorado. I hunt it a lot when high altitude is too deep in snow. The wide spacing of trees is perfect for still hunting.

So, i'm a happy camper again.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

mel_o_mel wrote:You can manage the mayhem a bit by packing a blind/stand with you and getting in it when you hear the werewolf getting ready to attack.
Doesn't that spook them away? I have tried using the tripod stand and they get spooked when that gets set up.

Return to “General Chat”