Update

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Update

Post by OldMtnMan »

jttoo wrote:Yay Pete!

Do you avoid using the elk caller to make it more lifelike?
I didn't for the competition. I used camo and the RDxbow. If I decide to do the traditional hunt with the caplock. I won't use the calls or any other aids. We'll see how it goes.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

These Forums really need a "Like" or "Thumbs Up" button. Way to go Pete!
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Just did the traditional hunt with the caplock. Didn't see an elk but killed a whitetail buck and a cow moose.

Never killed a moose in Colorado. Too hard to get the tag. First one for me not counting Alaska.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I entered a comp for Roosevelt Elk. It's for the highest score but has to be a heart shot. Easy enough. I got one and I see i'm the only one with a result. I have to start in the Starter class because I just started hunting for Roosevelt. I'm winning in the Elite class with Rocky Mountain Elk. I'd jump in the Elite class if they'd let me for Roosevelt but I can't do that.

What I never saw when I entered the comp is it pays no ems for the Starter class. It pays 75 ems to win for Intermediate class and 125 ems to win Elite class. I never saw this with Rocky Mountain Elk. All classes payed the same as it should be. If anything the Starter competitors work harder because of inexperience. Why should they get no pay at all. The ems is all I compete for. I don't care squat about trophy's.

This left a sour taste in my mouth for Roosevelt comps or maybe Roosevelt at all. Too bad. I love Red Feather terrain but it lost it's appeal now.

As soon as the damn werewolves are gone i'm back in TG and my loved Rocky Mountain Elk.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

OldMtnMan wrote:I entered a comp for Roosevelt Elk. It's for the highest score but has to be a heart shot. Easy enough. I got one and I see i'm the only one with a result. I have to start in the Starter class because I just started hunting for Roosevelt. I'm winning in the Elite class with Rocky Mountain Elk. I'd jump in the Elite class if they'd let me for Roosevelt but I can't do that.

What I never saw when I entered the comp is it pays no ems for the Starter class. It pays 75 ems to win for Intermediate class and 125 ems to win Elite class. I never saw this with Rocky Mountain Elk. All classes payed the same as it should be. If anything the Starter competitors work harder because of inexperience. Why should they get no pay at all. The ems is all I compete for. I don't care squat about trophy's.

This left a sour taste in my mouth for Roosevelt comps or maybe Roosevelt at all. Too bad. I love Red Feather terrain but it lost it's appeal now.

As soon as the damn werewolves are gone i'm back in TG and my loved Rocky Mountain Elk.
To the best of my knowledge, none of the "starter" comps pay $em. If you look at the very first trophy you ever won in a comp, a silver for "Biggest Rocky Mountain Elk - Starter", you'll see you didn't win any $em for it either.

Like many competitions/sports in life, the amateur/starter classes don't get paid, the semi-pro/intermediate classes pay some, but you have to earn your way into the pros/elite class to make the big bucks.

So just harvest a couple dozen more Roosevelt Elk and you'll be in the intermediate comps in no time.

And of course there are many comps that don't have the start/intermediate/elite classes, and they do pay $em regardless of your "rank".
Personal Bests...
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, thanks for that. I never noticed it.

I'm cooled off now and probably wouldn't have given up Red Feather after all. I like it too much. I just needed to vent a little.

I do miss TG though, so my best plan is to hunt TG and RF according to the comps available. I won't enter a lot of them but using two animals and maps gives me better odds to find a comp I like.

Thanks again. :D
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I really like Red Feather the more I play it. It's a joy to just hunt it. The terrain is perfect to hunt on and what I dream of when I think of going hunting.

Red Feather seems more finished than TG. Very few popups and sparkling shadows. Was it one of the original maps that came with the game? They tend to be done better than addon maps. I have zero complaints with the graphics. I like it better than COTW. Not that i'd ever go back to COTW.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

OldMtnMan wrote:I really like Red Feather the more I play it. It's a joy to just hunt it. The terrain is perfect to hunt on and what I dream of when I think of going hunting.

Red Feather seems more finished than TG. Very few popups and sparkling shadows. Was it one of the original maps that came with the game? They tend to be done better than addon maps. I have zero complaints with the graphics. I like it better than COTW. Not that i'd ever go back to COTW.
Yes it was one of the original maps. There were four at the beginning when I started playin- WHI, Loggers Point, Settler Creeks & RFF. It is indeed one of the faves for a lot of us. ;) Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Tanks. :D
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

OldMtnMan wrote:I entered a comp for Roosevelt Elk. It's for the highest score but has to be a heart shot. Easy enough. I got one and I see i'm the only one with a result. I have to start in the Starter class because I just started hunting for Roosevelt. I'm winning in the Elite class with Rocky Mountain Elk. I'd jump in the Elite class if they'd let me for Roosevelt but I can't do that.
I made a similar observation when they were going through the reorganize of the competitions a few months back. One of the goals being to improve fairness.
(The difficulty is really a non issue as long as you keep the three classes for the different experienced players and beginners and intermediate players compete against others at their same level. However there is an anomaly here as when players such as myself with 12 years playing the game compete against players at an entry level when hunting newly introduced animals. Instead of kill numbers perhaps you should consider hours in game as the qualifying criteria, or even total kill numbers rather than just animal specific numbers for the animal in that comp. And just change the level of individual players to level 1, 2 or 3.
E.G level 1 = X kills/X hours, Level 2 = y kills/y hours and level 3 = z kills/z hours.)

Avery replied as follows
(Quote)We will look into your point about new animals, it's a good one and leaves quite a lot open to exploitation for certain animals, and I suspect that's why starter comps were created with only a trophy reward. It would apply to any animal that isn't hunted often, which might not be such a big deal with animals that are hard to hunt, but in terms of any species that is similar to others that are hunted more often, the skill will extrapolate and create a large, if temporary, exploitation.

With regard to using time as a limiter to even out fairness, I don't believe we have the functionality to do that just yet in competitions. It would help a lot with disconnection issues though, since those can lose an attempt without the player setting foot (so to speak) in a reserve.( End Quote)

But having thought more about ways they could eliminate this problem , the best way I can see is that the classes could better be separated by hunter score, rather than any particular species kill numbers. This would separate the experienced from the inexperienced and level the playing field in a more equitable manner, especially when new animals are introduced, and would eliminate experience players competing against novices when an experienced player enters a comp with new animals, or animals he has seldom hunted. I believe I would still be in the beginners class if I ever go hunting snow geese for example. So far I have not hunted or shot one, but have shot heaps of Canada goose and the experience and weapon skill levels required to shoot snow geese would be exactly the same. somehow that just doesn't make sense that even after 12 years playing that I should be competing against novices.

PS. I have just noticed that the hunter scores was used in dividing the classes in the three accompanying comps of the Halloween series. That would be great if it could be applied to all competitions in future.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.

Return to “General Chat”