Update

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Update

Post by OldMtnMan »

DBoone..........I agree but using your score could be unfair too. I only hunt for elk and do no missions. I'll never have a high score but i'm experienced in elk hunting. The game should have looked at my record in Rocky Mountain Elk and applied it to the Roosevelt Elk.

I ended up winning the comp and I felt like it was unfair to the real starter hunters. I've no satisfaction for that win. I'm in another comp now and it's not for classes. We all hunt against each other. I guess that's unfair to new hunters too. So, I don't know what the answer is.

I don't like to kill cows but i'm doing it now to get out of the Roosevelt starter class as quick as possible. Then i'll go back to my normal bulls only hunting. It's about all I can do to help.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Don't worry about killing cows or any other females of the hunt-able species in the game.. While there are no GMs to be made it will get your hunter score up and also improve the weapon skills and more rapidly cure the Parkinson's Syndrome that afflicts all users of newly purchased weapons. Unbend a little and allow yourself more enjoyment from the game.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

The truth is, I don't enjoy killing does and cows. They're so innocent and trusting and so easy to kill I get zero satisfaction. No bias for what others do. It's my own rules I set for hunting 68 years ago. When I break them I feel like crap. Choosing the slow way to advance doesn't bother me. I'm a stubborn old coot set in his ways.

Thanks for your thoughts though.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Ok, yesterday I got more than 50 elk. I just wanted to get out of the starter class. I didn't think it was fair that I was in it. I made myself sick by killing so many cows and young bulls. I've never seen so many younger bulls. Under a score of 100. I don't think RME has bulls that young. I never saw one.

Now I can go back to just shooting mature bulls. No cows or spikes. I was think the black bear weren't aggressive but one came charging out of bushes and killed me. I wish we had bear callers so I could hunt them properly. I won't bait and it's not legal in my state anyway. Everybody uses a caller in Colorado to hunt for black bear. Fawn in distress works best. Too bad the game has no callers for bears. Not as good as still hunting but way better than baiting.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Now that the werewolves are gone I went and tried TG. I don't think i'll hunt it anymore. I'm sticking to Red Feather. I like the terrain and animals better. The animals in RFF match Colorado better.

Colorado has:
Elk
Whitetail
Black Bear
Moose
We don't have wolves and grizz like TG. We don't have blacktail either but i'm looking forward to hunting them after I get my fill of elk. Moose is on my list too. Maybe black bear too if I get killed enough by them and get mad. The only problem with hunting for bear in comps is I have to compete against hunters using bait. They have a big unfair advantage and I don't want to deal with it. So, elk, moose, and blacktail in that order will keep me busy.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

OldMtnMan wrote:Now that the werewolves are gone I went and tried TG. I don't think i'll hunt it anymore. I'm sticking to Red Feather. I like the terrain and animals better. The animals in RFF match Colorado better.

Colorado has:
Elk
Whitetail
Black Bear
Moose
We don't have wolves and grizz like TG. We don't have blacktail either but i'm looking forward to hunting them after I get my fill of elk. Moose is on my list too. Maybe black bear too if I get killed enough by them and get mad. The only problem with hunting for bear in comps is I have to compete against hunters using bait. They have a big unfair advantage and I don't want to deal with it. So, elk, moose, and blacktail in that order will keep me busy.
RFF is indeed a good selection to carry on with your hunting style. I knew you would like that reserve. :D Respect,

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Thanks for suggesting it along with a few others that did too. I do love the map and animals in it.

I'd like to see less young bulls but no big deal. I don't have to shoot them if I have time to get a look at them. Sometimes the shot is a split second decision and I have no time but to aim and then regret I shot such a young bull. I need to just pass up shots that i'm not sure of. That's what I do in real life but get careless in the game. My numbers from now on will be slow because i'll be picky what I shoot. That's ok. I prefer to get beat in comps than shoot animals I don't want to. I almost made myself sick with what I was shooting to get a quick 50 kills to get out of starter class. I'm glad that's over with.

Thanks again Kidd. My interest in Classic is up high again. I doubt i'll ever get tired of RFF. It has everything I want. :D
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

Glad I was able to suggest an alternative you have started to enjoy. I am pretty sure there are Black Bear competitions where you can not use a bait barrel but I might be wrong. You can hunt them on the little islands in the north. South of the camping point up there. The area is open enough so they will find it harder to sneak up on you.

I remember tracking my first black bear, he was in every bigger shadow! :)
Code: Select all

Return to “General Chat”