Rain?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Re: Rain?

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote: I didn't say I couldn't still hunt into elk. It's just more difficult with the tall grass.

btw... Still hunting and stalking are not the same thing. Just in case you didn't know. A lot of hunters don't. Most think still hunting is hunting from a blind of stand and it's the complete opposite. Are you a real hunter? I can't remember if you ever said if you were.
I am aware of the difference. Mostly semantics to me, kind of 2 versions of the same thing to me as in-game I think I use a hybrid of both for easily spooked species. In-game, as real as it gets. :D Real life I don't hunt but lifelong avid fisherman, camper, hiker and spent quite a bit of time in the wild running into deer, bear, etc
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Just to clear it up.

Stalking is knowing where the animal is. You can see it and are trying to get closer. A hunter will glass and see an animal and want to stalk in closer. It's not a way to hunt by itself but part of a hunt. Although a hunter could roam around and stalk an animal they spot. A lot of the time it's by accident they happen to see it.

Still hunting is different. It's a way to hunt. You don't know where the animal is. Through scouting you have an idea of whether an area could hold animals. Once in the area the still hunter moves painfully slow trying to spot an animal before it see's him/her. One step is taken and then you look around everywhere carefully. Not looking for a whole animal but just part of one. A tail, ear, or a horizontal shape. Most in nature is vertical. Then you take just one more step and look at everything again because the angle is different now and something may show up that you didn't see one step back. You'll find you're standing still longer than taking a steps. Which is how it got it's name still hunting. Of course the wind must always be played and in your favor. If it swirls and changes direction I stop and back out and come back at a better angle.
Learning to walk quiet take a long time to learn. It takes a natural patience to be good at still hunting. Those impatient think it's a stupid way to hunt. They're right. It's stupid for them. When someone gets good at it they can sneak into a whole herd of elk bedded down. Most hunters say it stupid to hunt bedding areas. They're right. It is stupid for them. For me it's how gramps hunted, and how dad hunted, and how I hunted all our lives.
There's actually much more to it than I can explain in a post. I came real close to writing a book on still hunting but decided there wouldn't be enough interest. I have taught some of my hunting friends and they've grown to love it and won't hunt there old ways anymore. It's very addictive once you get good at it. During the off season I would practice still hunting without a gun. I couldn't get better practice and loved it.

I still hope for a hunting sim that will let me still hunt like in real life. I'm still hoping but there isn't one yet.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
CAmulieman
Tracker

Post by CAmulieman »

What did one theHunter Classic programmer say to the other theHunter Classic programmer?
Uh, I give up.
S/He said, "We can make the game more fun and realistic by making the rain and thunder on Pickabeen 5 times as long as it is now!."
To which the other said, "No, how 'bout only 4.8 times as long. It might annoy too many gamers.
To which Doc said, " ". (Because Doc was too busy reading carefully and responding to every, single, message sent to HIM.)

I hate the rain and especially the thunder because they just, plain overdid it.
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote:Just to clear it up.

Stalking is knowing where the animal is. You can see it and are trying to get closer. A hunter will glass and see an animal and want to stalk in closer. It's not a way to hunt by itself but part of a hunt. Although a hunter could roam around and stalk an animal they spot. A lot of the time it's by accident they happen to see it.

Still hunting is different. It's a way to hunt. You don't know where the animal is. Through scouting you have an idea of whether an area could hold animals. Once in the area the still hunter moves painfully slow trying to spot an animal before it see's him/her. One step is taken and then you look around everywhere carefully. Not looking for a whole animal but just part of one. A tail, ear, or a horizontal shape. Most in nature is vertical. Then you take just one more step and look at everything again because the angle is different now and something may show up that you didn't see one step back. You'll find you're standing still longer than taking a steps. Which is how it got it's name still hunting. Of course the wind must always be played and in your favor. If it swirls and changes direction I stop and back out and come back at a better angle.
Learning to walk quiet take a long time to learn. It takes a natural patience to be good at still hunting. Those impatient think it's a stupid way to hunt. They're right. It's stupid for them. When someone gets good at it they can sneak into a whole herd of elk bedded down. Most hunters say it stupid to hunt bedding areas. They're right. It is stupid for them. For me it's how gramps hunted, and how dad hunted, and how I hunted all our lives.
There's actually much more to it than I can explain in a post. I came real close to writing a book on still hunting but decided there wouldn't be enough interest. I have taught some of my hunting friends and they've grown to love it and won't hunt there old ways anymore. It's very addictive once you get good at it. During the off season I would practice still hunting without a gun. I couldn't get better practice and loved it.

I still hope for a hunting sim that will let me still hunt like in real life. I'm still hoping but there isn't one yet.
Yep, that is as I understood the difference. Obviously Classic is a video game and you don't need to slow the pace as you might with RL still hunting but hunting species like Ibex and Bighorn in particular looking/glassing over the same ares multiple times from different angles, paying special attention to anything out of place, any movement, any sound etc is how I locate them. Depending on the terrain often sound can be your first clue, with better visibility just a slight movement or something not looking quite right in the distance.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

The problem is we can't quiet our footsteps which makes still hunting impossible.

We can stalk though. I guess i'll have to settle for that.

Or forget the stalk and shoot them when I see them with the .300 mag. :D

Last choice is use the full traditional method with the caplock as I outlined it. If you can handle shooting very few elk. (bull only)

Pick your poison and go hunt.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

OldMtnMan wrote:The problem is we can't quiet our footsteps which makes still hunting impossible.
There is actually one aspect of this in game. When you get busted by an animal, at first it doesn't take off. It goes into an "Alert" state.
If you keep moving it flees. But if you stop and wait for it to calm down, you can then move again without it spooking right away.
Switching equipment & turning in place count as "moving". Turning your head in freelook mode (X) doesn't.
You get cues from most of the animals if you can see them. They will turn & look, or **** their head as if listening, then return to normal behavior.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

That's helpful Tod.

Thanks.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Tod1d wrote:When you get busted by an animal, at first it doesn't take off. It goes into an "Alert" state.
If you keep moving it flees. But if you stop and wait for it to calm down, you can then move again without it spooking right away.
Switching equipment & turning in place count as "moving". Turning your head in freelook mode (X) doesn't.
You get cues from most of the animals if you can see them. They will turn & look, or **** their head as if listening, then return to normal behavior.
Interesting facts about this game I didn't know. Duly noted! :)
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

OldMtnMan wrote:We can crawl on out belly in game and I do just like in real life but in game we always have long grass. So, we need to pop up now and then to see where we're going. That's when we get busted.
I'd totally buy a periscope if it was in the store.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Brutus969 wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:We can crawl on out belly in game and I do just like in real life but in game we always have long grass. So, we need to pop up now and then to see where we're going. That's when we get busted.
I'd totally buy a periscope if it was in the store.
Yeah, or a lawn mower.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”