Rain?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Rain?

Post by OldMtnMan »

It seems like i'm being negative too much. I don't mean to be but it's my nature to question what seems wrong.

Rain is one of them. What purpose does it serve?

Nothing gets wet.

Animals act like it's not raining. In real life they seek shelter like we do.

The ground isn't wet. One advantage of a wet ground is it's quieter to walk on. Good for sneaking up on animals. Still hunters like me love it when it rains or snows. In game though the ground stays hard and crunchy when it rains.

I can load my muzzleloader in a pouring rain. That should never work. Put black powder in water and see what happens.

There are other things but you get the point. What were the devs thinking when they added rain?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Re: Rain?

Post by curlyCoyote »

Developers had rain before they even have added muzzle loaders of any kind (correct me if I am wrong veterans), they probably did not expect their game to be as popular as it was so they didn't think ahead.
I think the current game engine cannot support wet ground mechanics at all, even the COTW game cant support that (correct me if I am wrong those who play COTW).
The one good thing about rain is it slightly reduces your noise from my experience, and I am fairly sure it tells you the wind direction as well.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I'm sure you're right. Just an observation on my part. I'm always looking for more realism. I guess no rain at all would be boring. I'd just accept what we have.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Kozimierz

Post by Kozimierz »

Rain also helps with overheating. If you're clothed badly in warm reserves (Bushrangers and Picabeen) rain helps you with your overheating status. Other than that it just masks animal sounds for you
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Rain in this game also serves to drown out the sound you make when you move. You will find that if you spot and stalk in the rain you can get closer easier than in sunny quiet conditions. Same goes for the wind. The game does incorporate these loud environment sounds into the levels of perceptiveness of animals, much like good camo clothing.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

JimboCrow wrote:Rain in this game also serves to drown out the sound you make when you move. You will find that if you spot and stalk in the rain you can get closer easier than in sunny quiet conditions. Same goes for the wind. The game does incorporate these loud environment sounds into the levels of perceptiveness of animals, much like good camo clothing.
Are you sure about this Jimbo? From what I see the animals completely ignore the rain like it isn't even happening. We can't hear out footsteps in the rain but can the animals still hear them?

On the subject of footsteps. It's one of the reasons it's so hard to sneak up on animals in game. I practiced for decades learning how to step quietly in all conditions. Including crunchy snow and leaves. In game we can't take a quiet step. Crouch walking helps but who can do that in real life for very far? Can you climb up a mountain in a crouch?

The game is made to take longer shots or ambush. Trying to sneak in all the time will get you frustrated in getting busted. We can crawl on out belly in game and I do just like in real life but in game we always have long grass. So, we need to pop up now and then to see where we're going. That's when we get busted.

I've become an ambush hunter in game. Something I never ever did in real life but it works well in game. Sometimes we need to adjust.

The rain? Meh! It is what it is. If it made the ground wet which would be quieter to walk on. It would have value. As is it's just........it's raining again. I'll eat a snack.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

OldMtnMan wrote:If it made the ground wet which would be quieter to walk on. It would have value. As is it's just........it's raining again. I'll eat a snack.
this is pretty much what happens. When it's raining the animals won't hear or see you as quickly. You can get away with +1 stance with the same results. i.e. If you're used to crouch walking, when it's raining you can walk upright.

And yes, the whole crouch all the time to be quiet is pretty unrealistic. I'd be a cash-cow for the chiropractor! It would be really cool to walk at crouch speed / stealth while still upright, then a bit more stealthy when crouched. They could just add a "Walk Slow" mode between "Walk" & "Crouch".

Still hunting: Walk slow, stop, look around, repeat... :) I don't crouch until I spot an animal & need to move into position.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Deconstructed
Outfitter

Post by Deconstructed »

OldMtnMan wrote: The game is made to take longer shots or ambush. Trying to sneak in all the time will get you frustrated in getting busted. We can crawl on out belly in game and I do just like in real life but in game we always have long grass. So, we need to pop up now and then to see where we're going. That's when we get busted.
The tall grass is mainly a Timbergold thing. Stalking is easier on other reserves. Despite that stalking on TG (although more difficult) can be done effectively. I'll be putting together some video today that includes stalking Bighorn Sheep through tall grass and uneven terrain for this thread: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=93784
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Tod1d wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote:If it made the ground wet which would be quieter to walk on. It would have value. As is it's just........it's raining again. I'll eat a snack.
this is pretty much what happens. When it's raining the animals won't hear or see you as quickly. You can get away with +1 stance with the same results. i.e. If you're used to crouch walking, when it's raining you can walk upright.
The problem is it only rains for a few minutes. If the ground got wet it would stay wet a good part of the day.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Deconstructed wrote:
OldMtnMan wrote: The game is made to take longer shots or ambush. Trying to sneak in all the time will get you frustrated in getting busted. We can crawl on out belly in game and I do just like in real life but in game we always have long grass. So, we need to pop up now and then to see where we're going. That's when we get busted.
The tall grass is mainly a Timbergold thing. Stalking is easier on other reserves. Despite that stalking on TG (although more difficult) can be done effectively. I'll be putting together some video today that includes stalking Bighorn Sheep through tall grass and uneven terrain for this thread: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=93784
I didn't say I couldn't still hunt into elk. It's just more difficult with the tall grass.

btw... Still hunting and stalking are not the same thing. Just in case you didn't know. A lot of hunters don't. Most think still hunting is hunting from a blind of stand and it's the complete opposite. Are you a real hunter? I can't remember if you ever said if you were.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”