Traditional Hunting

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Re: Traditional Hunting

Post by OldMtnMan »

On real hunting forums there's always someone new asking what gun they should use for black bear. 90% of the hunters will say..........use your deer gun.

A lot of hunters think the 30-30 is weak because it's long range is short. It's not short because the round is weak but because of it's bullet design. It can only use a bullet with a rounded nose. This is because the magazine is the long tube under the barrel. The bullets are back to back. A spire point bullet (pointed bullet) would set itself off during recoil. The point on the bullet acting like a firing pin. So, to be safe only rounded bullets are used. That gives the bullet a lousy BC (ballistic coefficient) which is how well a bullet flies through the air. How aerodynamic it is.

That all changed when Hornady came out with the LeverEvolution bullet. It's a pointed bulled but has a soft rubber like point on it. The soft point prevents the bullets from firing in the magazine but has a much better BC like any other bullet with a point.

All of a sudden the 30-30 could be used at much long range and because the bullet flew through the air better it not only had less bullet drop but retained more speed (fps), so it had more energy too. (hit harder and penetrated farther)
For closer shots (under 125yds) the Nosler Partition is a better choice. It's what I always used for elk. The Hornady bullet is used by those who like longer shots, ( up to 200yds)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/10-best- ... artridges/
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

It's even more obvious they didn't research enough. They have the caplock way more powerful than the 30-30. You can shoot elk and all the bears including the polar bear with the caplock. In reality the 30-30 is much more powerful than the .50 roundball. .50 cal sounds like it would be powerful and in a centerfire cartridge it is. The problem is the weak black powder and trying to seal it all with a patch. A lot of the pressure is blown past the patch going down the bore. A patched roundball can never compete with a brass cartridge. The 45/70 is 70gr of black powder. That would be a weak load in the caplock but in the 45/70 cartridge it's a powerful round.

The caplock should be much less powerful and the 30-30 much more. The 30-30 will blow away what it can kill compared to a .50 roundball.

I would never use the caplock for elk and grizz in game if it had the power it was suppose to. Too bad i'd love to buy the 30-30 for elk hunting but not the way it is.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
RickC
Outfitter

Post by RickC »

One thing about not using the huntermate:

In real life, animals leave a steady unbroken line of tracks. So, tracking your wounded animal is not too hard depending on the terrain.

In this game we only get tracks every 30-50 yards, sometimes even more apart than that. The game would be unplayable because of the fps hit of having all animals leave a steady stream of tracks. In game also we cannot tell very accurately where a calling animal is located the way we can IRL. The huntermate was designed to make up for those game limitations.

But.......I respect how you are choosing to hunt.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

RickC wrote:The huntermate was designed to make up for those game limitations.
Indeed. As well as being a map / GPS type of device, it's also a the UI that reflects what the hunter is thinking.
I've never imagined a device that can give me animal information by looking at (taking a picture of) a set of tracks, or recording a call.
It's just there to tell you what your hunter character is thinking, based on his skills & experience.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

RickC wrote:One thing about not using the huntermate:

In real life, animals leave a steady unbroken line of tracks. So, tracking your wounded animal is not too hard depending on the terrain.

In this game we only get tracks every 30-50 yards, sometimes even more apart than that. The game would be unplayable because of the fps hit of having all animals leave a steady stream of tracks. In game also we cannot tell very accurately where a calling animal is located the way we can IRL. The huntermate was designed to make up for those game limitations.

But.......I respect how you are choosing to hunt.
I agree the tracks are almost impossible to follow. I get around it in two ways.

(1) Make sure my shots are as perfect as I can get them so no tracking is needed.

(2) If I do have to track I use the blood and not the tracks. If I do number one right the tracking should be short.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

I did a 5 - 6 hour in-game hunt this way on Sunday (about 5 hours real time with breaks for coffee refills, farting around making videos, and a nap. ;) ) I did everything as outlined except that I had no urine; and I forgot the trapper binos for the first hour, which I added at my first tent. I didn't remember seeing urine in the rules. :? I didn't bag anything worth mentioning so suffice to say I failed to complete the mission. I only managed to harvest two bulls, neither of which was over 300. :lol:

I took 8 shots and had 6 hits with 6 kills, all at 100% HV. I had 2 misses: one hit a rock I couldn't see on a grizzly 10m in front of me, and the other was a clear miss on a bull that dropped straight down off an overhang. I have videos of most of the interesting parts, but there's nothing worth watching unless someone suspects I was bending the rules. ;) It was great fun and I enjoyed it immensely!!

I did another hunt later that evening my usual way, and enjoyed that as well, but it was much, much easier, far less intense, and I was drinking spicy Caesars the whole time!! :D I will play your way again Pete, but not every hunt. I admit it, I'm no mountain man; I'm a scope-loving, camo-wearing, elk-calling, HunterMate-using, Caesar-drinking degenerate, and have a great deal of fun doing it!! Good luck and good hunting to all!! Jimbo :)

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/jimb ... /105564355
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Jimbo.........The urine is the elk scent we can buy in store. You can draw in an elk closer by using it.

Good job on the hunt and thanks for trying it. I know it's not for everyone and not what anybody would use if they wanted to kill a lot of elk.

Personally, I enjoy simulating what the hunting was like in the old days.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

Looks like people are catching the traditional hunting bug.

I went out the other night with my 30-30 (no scope) and was trying to follow a blacktail's calls without using the huntermate. I ended up getting disconnected before I caught up with him, but it was definitely interesting while it lasted. I'll be trying that again, and might even try to record some of it.

I've been grinding missions with the goal of getting my maps set up so that I can do more immersive hunting like this in the future. The goal is to get tents set up on a map that are strategically placed starting points for hunts and to have stands set up along the way. Fast travel will be more limited and will essentially be the start of a new hunt at a new starting point on the map after I 've made a good harvest along the current route. I'll mostly be hunting deer and elk but plan on doing other hunts where I focus on just one or two species rather than anything I'm likely to see.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Yes, I have tents all over too where I want to spawn into to start a hunt. I imagine I spent the night in the tent and i'm getting up and going on a hunt. As you know I won't fast travel but starting from the tent early in the morning puts me in the mood to hunt.

Using no Huntermate can be hard high in the mountains where I like it best. It's easy to get lost. In real life I hunted the same unit since the 50's and it took me decades before I learned every inch of it. It's kind of cool to know I could be dropped off from a helicopter anywhere on the map and i'll know exactly where I am. It's a big unit and goes from 7500ft to 14,000ft. A lot of dark timber that goes on for miles. It took some time to learn it.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

I hate to do it but I had to make a change. I was getting killed too much by grizz. The devs made a mistake by taking the percussion cap off everytime it's unshouldered. If the grizz attack is sudden with no warning it took too long to load the cap and get it shouldered and then the sights on the bear. Nobody I know takes the cap off when unshouldering the gun. I never do. Tere's no need to. It doesn't come off the inline muzzleloader in game. What's the difference? Why one and not the other? They both have a hammer that needs to be cocked to shoot. Just like lever guns. Do you carry the 30-30 around with no round in the chamber?

So, i've kept everything the same as in the traditional hunt except I switched to the inline muzzleloader instead of the caplock. The inline has a better open sight too. I may get along without the scope. I'll have to try it and see. If I do need to use the scope it has an illuminated reticle which is much better for me to see.

Call it Modern Traditional Hunting. Yeah, that makes no sense. :lol:
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.

Return to “General Chat”