What you think? Engines and competitions.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Threwlys
Tracker

What you think? Engines and competitions.

Post by Threwlys »

Things i would like to know.

a) The engine used in The Hunter Classic is the same used in The Hunter Call of the Wild? If not, does anyone know why they had to build a new engine? What could be wrong with The Hunter Classic's engine? I just love the way the animals behave, in all aspects, even when they are just roaming.

b) If there's different engines for each game, you can say The Hunter Classic's engine still remains superior? Why? If The Hunter COTW has a new engine, it wouldn't be far more advanced, more realistic and interesting?

c) I only like to play the Hunter Classic's official competitions (sorry, "Ultimate Hunter Competitions"), because i like immensely to see the the classification instantly showing up in the screen. In The Hunter Call of the Wild there's such competitions too (we activate, hunt and the results pops up every time we kill an animal)?

d) Does anyone know if the Expansive World intends to continue to provide those amazing official competitions even now when the game seems to have no more developments or even support (it seems we are going to joing to The Hunter Primal)? As you all can remember, some of the 10 Year Anniversary Celebration's competitions had titles starting with: "A Final Hunt" :( .
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: What you think? Engines and competitions.

Post by ronMctube »

a) classic uses Avalanche Engine 2.0 . call of the wild uses APEX engine. new engine is used in new games.
b) APEX is newer and better engine.
c) not sure what you mean
d) we dont know what is the future for classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

a) The quality of the animations and AI has nothing to do with the engine.
b) The level of "realism" is not dependent on the engine. It's more related to the quality of the graphics, textures, AI & animations.
c) That's OK. UHC doesn't have instant access to the game client or back-end, so it can't provide instant notification. It was created to accommodate community sponsored competitions.
d) They haven't mentioned discontinuing them, and it didn't happen when they made the switch to FTP. I would assume they are here to stay as long as the game lasts.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

As for d) if you completed the mission pack, the final mission is called A Change of Heart. HooCairs had posted a screenshot of it here: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p976920
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

i also did a video on a change of heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrYFuuz0Iq4 showing the reward you get and completing the mission.
Giuh
Spotter

Post by Giuh »

In my honest opinion, AI in theHunter Call of the Wild is superior to THC's in some aspects. For example, if you call in a deer, it'll show itself interested and you can clearly see that by its animations, and if the animal senses something you can quickly realise it, again by just looking at them. In THC, animals go with the same pace no matter if you call them or not, they're just roaming and don't really give a buck about your call, they just go as if they were going to drink water, you can't really tell a difference by just looking at them. The only change you can see is when they get out of that spooked state and for a few minutes they trot around with their tails up.

The only downside with CotW AI is being so dumb sometimes and coming back to where you shot them after 15 seconds, or different species hanging out like nothing making it look like some Disney movie. I'd really hope them adding a "hardcore" mode or however you want to call it, where AI is smarter in that aspect. But animation-wise, I think it's great.
Since 2012 sucking at theHunter :D
Spoiler:
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Giuh wrote:In my honest opinion, AI in theHunter Call of the Wild is superior to THC's in some aspects. For example, if you call in a deer, it'll show itself interested and you can clearly see that by its animations, and if the animal senses something you can quickly realise it, again by just looking at them. In THC, animals go with the same pace no matter if you call them or not, they're just roaming and don't really give a buck about your call, they just go as if they were going to drink water, you can't really tell a difference by just looking at them. The only change you can see is when they get out of that spooked state and for a few minutes they trot around with their tails up.

The only downside with CotW AI is being so dumb sometimes and coming back to where you shot them after 15 seconds, or different species hanging out like nothing making it look like some Disney movie. I'd really hope them adding a "hardcore" mode or however you want to call it, where AI is smarter in that aspect. But animation-wise, I think it's great.
You obviously haven't played classic much or just don't see what is happening. I can tell exactly when an animal has reacted to my call as well as if it has stopped being attracted, and if it has become alert and if it may spook. Also some come in fast and others take their time so it seems the AI in CotW is not superior by what you describe.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Burning Bridges
Hunter

Post by Burning Bridges »

I personally prefer the old engine too, very much. The Post-Processing and Antialiasing in APEX does not work or if it works it deteriorates the image, with the result that foliage turns into some sort of random noise. I tried for 20 hours or so to find a setting or enhancement to make details discernable but gave up.
Giuh
Spotter

Post by Giuh »

DHRifleman wrote:
Giuh wrote:In my honest opinion, AI in theHunter Call of the Wild is superior to THC's in some aspects. For example, if you call in a deer, it'll show itself interested and you can clearly see that by its animations, and if the animal senses something you can quickly realise it, again by just looking at them. In THC, animals go with the same pace no matter if you call them or not, they're just roaming and don't really give a buck about your call, they just go as if they were going to drink water, you can't really tell a difference by just looking at them. The only change you can see is when they get out of that spooked state and for a few minutes they trot around with their tails up.

You obviously haven't played classic much or just don't see what is happening. I can tell exactly when an animal has reacted to my call as well as if it has stopped being attracted, and if it has become alert and if it may spook. Also some come in fast and others take their time so it seems the AI in CotW is not superior by what you describe.
You can have a different opinion. I've been a THC player for 6 or 7 years, and CotW since release. Animations might be too subtle here but I mostly see them roaming vaguely and they look like zombies at times, they don't seem to have a purpose on where they're heading to. Still prefer Classic because of content and gameplay, but the animations and AI is great in the new one (in the said aspects).

I've talked about this with many friends who play CotW and are also long-time THC players, and we have agreed that animals often feel more alive in the former. Does it mean CotW is more realistic, a better simulator? Absolutely not.

Don't know for how long you have tried the new game, but hope you're not part of the group that calls the game out for being bad when they haven't tried it for more than 3 hours, you're probably smarter than that. Each game has their pro and cons, I like both althought my preference stands for the Classic.
Since 2012 sucking at theHunter :D
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

call of the wild has all that classic has. for eg the animals go drink sleep roam just as in classic. the thing with call of the wild many people havent put the same time in as they have classic. so every little neauance is known about classic yet many wont have played even a hundred hrs in cotw. whitetails in classic have had the tail pop up since as long as i can remember playing. :D i used to use it as a tell tale when doing long distance shooting comps back in the early days as a whitetail just before going out of render whould look left right then tail would pop up on draw distance line then walk out and vanish ;) .

Return to “General Chat”