What you think? Engines and competitions.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Re: What you think? Engines and competitions.

Post by DHRifleman »

BuiuRei wrote:Again, get to level 60 and there's no progressing any more.
Grind waterfowl for less than 100h and you're there, easy peasy.
So after 100 hours of grinding you are done progressing and done with the game since that is the core of it. Is there comps, or scoring like B&C where you can try and better what you have already gotten?
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

So are you telling us that once you get to 60 in COTW there is no further point in playing.
Have you opened all the maps, done all the missions, shot a diamond trophy of every one of the animals available, and filled every slot in the trophy lodge.
Then there is the Hunt club competitions, daily and weekly, that can fill many post level 60 hours as well.
It may well be a very different style of game play from classic that may not suit everyone, And Im not saying I prefer it to classic because I play both equally, but to say reaching level 60 is the end of it is absolute nonsense.
There is still a heap of content to be used and explored well after level 60. To me level 60 is just the beginning because after level 60 you still have to build your exp to the point that you have access to everything, only then can buy and use all the things the game has to offer and start to really develop your hunting to the point where nothing is safe. (My current target is to get Red and White diamond Cape Buffs for the trophy lodge).
I played Classic for 10 years and cant see any reason why I wouldn't play COTW for just as long.
Mind you, at my age that might be expecting a bit much.
Maybe if I can hang in there long enough Ill end up surpassing Cutch's record.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
So are you telling us that once you get to 60 in COTW there is no further point in playing.
Have you opened all the maps, done all the missions, shot a diamond trophy of every one of the animals available, and filled every slot in the trophy lodge.
Then there is the Hunt club competitions, daily and weekly, that can fill many post level 60 hours as well.
It may well be a very different style of game play from classic that may not suit everyone, And Im not saying I prefer it to classic because I play both equally, but to say reaching level 60 is the end of it is absolute nonsense.
There is still a heap of content to be used and explored well after level 60. To me level 60 is just the beginning because after level 60 you still have to build your exp to the point that you have access to everything, only then can buy and use all the things the game has to offer and start to really develop your hunting to the point where nothing is safe. (My current target is to get Red and White diamond Cape Buffs for the trophy lodge).
I played Classic for 10 years and cant see any reason why I wouldn't play COTW for just as long.
Mind you, at my age that might be expecting a bit much.
Maybe if I can hang in there long enough Ill end up surpassing Cutch's record.
You are both reading way too much where there's nothing: my point is that after 100h your character is leveled up and you can do pretty much what you want at any times, just like in classic.
Spoiler:
Threwlys
Tracker

Post by Threwlys »

Thanks, guys, for the great comments.
WolfLQ
Tracker

Post by WolfLQ »

DHRifleman wrote:
WolfLQ wrote:How is COTW anything like Cabela's games, other than a couple of missions that pinpoint an animal? It's completely free-roam like Classic.
The core gameplay is completing tasks to advance in the game. While a lot of people do like games of this nature, I don't care for it in a hunting game. I'd rather use what I learn playing the game to be better at it, not as what is needed to keep progressing. That is how it is like cabela's
Only if you want to. I've completed maybe 3 or 4 tasks and that was only before I realized I didn't have to do them. I just play the game like Classic.
Let me ask you this. I haven't played much of it in a while, so don't know if this changed, but how do spawns work in COTW? If I find a nice trophy animal in COTW & tell you the time & location that I found it, can you also find that animal in the same time & location?
It depends. If you caught the animal eating or drinking, yes. If it was just wandering, not necessarily. I'm not sure how that's like Cabela's games though (which has pre-scripted encounters and there is no such thing as a trophy animal because everyone will get the same trophy).

I do think Classic is the superior game right now (not by a lot IMO) but COTW is much more similar to Classic than Cabela's.
(Not a newbie! Back after a few years hiatus.)
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

WolfLQ wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:
WolfLQ wrote:How is COTW anything like Cabela's games, other than a couple of missions that pinpoint an animal? It's completely free-roam like Classic.
The core gameplay is completing tasks to advance in the game. While a lot of people do like games of this nature, I don't care for it in a hunting game. I'd rather use what I learn playing the game to be better at it, not as what is needed to keep progressing. That is how it is like cabela's
Only if you want to. I've completed maybe 3 or 4 tasks and that was only before I realized I didn't have to do them. I just play the game like Classic.
And what to you aim for, are there B&C scores like in classic you can try and better yourself with? or do they have some sort of class designation of which there are only a few per species? Can you get any weapon or piece of equipment you would like to have without doing some sort of mission?
Let me ask you this. I haven't played much of it in a while, so don't know if this changed, but how do spawns work in COTW? If I find a nice trophy animal in COTW & tell you the time & location that I found it, can you also find that animal in the same time & location?
It depends. If you caught the animal eating or drinking, yes. If it was just wandering, not necessarily. I'm not sure how that's like Cabela's games though (which has pre-scripted encounters and there is no such thing as a trophy animal because everyone will get the same trophy).
So if the animal is eating, drinking, or I assume they have bedding as well, every player can find it at the set location at the set time. Sounds scripted to me just like cabela's, and in cabela's you need to do certain tasks to unlock things you would like to have. Just because it is an open world doesn't mean the gameplay isn't scripted and you are directed on how to progress. Classic is plain and simple, here are a bunch of reserves with a bunch of varying scoring animals, and you can hunt them for what ever reason you like. Score betterment, competitions, missions, or to just blow stuff away. There are only a couple of scripted missions and I really don't even think they still work as they originally did.
I do think Classic is the superior game right now (not by a lot IMO) but COTW is much more similar to Classic than Cabela's.
So classic is a better game, but it is the one that is given away for free. That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense from a business point of view.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Giuh
Spotter

Post by Giuh »

There's no such thing as "better game". You like then it's better for YOUR personal experience. In MY opinion Classic is better in many ways than CotW, while the latter is better in some other aspects, while widely agreeing with this response.

What I see better from one game to the other:
Classic: weapons, inventory management (not great but indeed better), dogs, individual clothing, trophy shots, non-typicals, harvest sheets, deployable towers (static on cotw), non dependant on progress, free head movement, competitions, leaderboards
CotW: AI activity and senses, dynamic camouflage and player sound (depending on where you're at or what you're walking on), big maps, perdurable herds on your map, more freedom with trophy lodges, jumping :roll:, quads, different arrows (weight)

Eventually, CotW will catch up with most of these I assume.
Since 2012 sucking at theHunter :D
Spoiler:
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Giuh wrote:There's no such thing as "better game". You like then it's better for YOUR personal experience. In MY opinion Classic is better in many ways than CotW, while the latter is better in some other aspects, while widely agreeing with this response.

What I see better from one game to the other:
Classic: weapons, inventory management (not great but indeed better), dogs, individual clothing, trophy shots, non-typicals, harvest sheets, deployable towers (static on cotw), non dependant on progress, free head movement, competitions, leaderboards
CotW: AI activity and senses, dynamic camouflage and player sound (depending on where you're at or what you're walking on), big maps, perdurable herds on your map, more freedom with trophy lodges, jumping :roll:, quads, different arrows (weight)

Eventually, CotW will catch up with most of these I assume.
I would not be too sure of that. The more that is added to CotW the more restricted to change it will become, just like classic did.
I assume by perdurable you mean persistent which would tell me you could actually empty a map of animals. Is this actually possible?
Giuh
Spotter

Post by Giuh »

DHRifleman wrote:I assume by perdurable you mean persistent which would tell me you could actually empty a map of animals. Is this actually possible?
Sorry, that might be the word, I was just trying to say that if you disconnect the specimen will still be around for when you join next time. I believe animals keep spawning as you kill them, so I don't think you can wipe them out.
Since 2012 sucking at theHunter :D
Spoiler:
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Giuh wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:I assume by perdurable you mean persistent which would tell me you could actually empty a map of animals. Is this actually possible?
Sorry, that might be the word, I was just trying to say that if you disconnect the specimen will still be around for when you join next time. I believe animals keep spawning as you kill them, so I don't think you can wipe them out.
So you will need to cull the little ones I guess to get others to spawn unless they just re-spawn what you get with the same caliber of animal

Return to “General Chat”