How do you shoot a bow?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Re: How do you shoot a bow?

Post by BuiuRei »

I have never, ever held the lmb down to fire upon release.
This 'you'll move the cursor during the click' is just insane to me. How long can a click last?
Nor saying the other approach doesn't work, but just clicking definitely does work.
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

BuiuRei wrote:I have never, ever held the lmb down to fire upon release.
This 'you'll move the cursor during the click' is just insane to me. How long can a click last?
Nor saying the other approach doesn't work, but just clicking definitely does work.
When I learned shooting a rifle they taught us to never pull the trigger fast. Just pull slowly until the shot is released. This feels a bit the same here when holding the button, and then when on target, slowly release. This won't move the aim. I also used to just click but then often ended up with a bad shot due to moving the mouse just a tiny bit. Have you tried holding? It works pretty good and somehow is also more immersive, as if you would hold the string and then release.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

HooCairs wrote:
When I learned shooting a rifle they taught us to never pull the trigger fast. Just pull slowly until the shot is released. This feels a bit the same here when holding the button, and then when on target, slowly release. This won't move the aim. I also used to just click but then often ended up with a bad shot due to moving the mouse just a tiny bit. Have you tried holding? It works pretty good and somehow is also more immersive, as if you would hold the string and then release.
I have tried it on occasion, mostly on the range, but now I'll have to commit myself to this technique for some time to get my own conclusions. :shock:
My post wasn't trying to say clicking is better compared to click-and-release, but merely that it can be used effectively. I'll get back to it after I try it somewhat extensively (if I can remember to actually do it :lol:).
Spoiler:
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

When firing a bow the arrow is released when the left mouse button is released not depressed. When firing a firearm the bullet is fires when the left mouse button is depressed, and the reload animation starts when you release the button.

So using the click method for a bow results in 2 movements for the final release where as the hold and let the button up method works more like the firearms where it is just one movement to release/fire. It is also more natural since you release an arrow, and squeeze or depress a trigger.
And it is quite easy to drop a bow from full draw by just switching from left button depressed to right button.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

DHRifleman wrote:
When firing a bow the arrow is released when the left mouse button is released not depressed. When firing a firearm the bullet is fires when the left mouse button is depressed, and the reload animation starts when you release the button.

So using the click method for a bow results in 2 movements for the final release where as the hold and let the button up method works more like the firearms where it is just one movement to release/fire. It is also more natural since you release an arrow, and squeeze or depress a trigger.
And it is quite easy to drop a bow from full draw by just switching from left button depressed to right button.
I get that. But I still have to see if the theoretical advantage translates to a practical one, to me personally.
Spoiler:
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

BuiuRei wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:

I get that. But I still have to see if the theoretical advantage translates to a practical one, to me personally.
Is simple... Just ask a friend you has fired roughly 30,000 arrows in game.
Spoiler:
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

INTIMID883R wrote:
BuiuRei wrote:
DHRifleman wrote: When firing a bow the arrow is released when the left mouse button is released not depressed. When firing a firearm the bullet is fires when the left mouse button is depressed, and the reload animation starts when you release the button.

Is simple... Just ask a friend you has fired roughly 30,000 arrows in game.
If only I could think of someone...
Spoiler:
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

BuiuRei wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:

Well since you have been using the click method for quite a while it may take a little time for you to see the advantage. But being able to aim and then just release the arrow is 50% faster than it is pushing the button and letting it back up, so less time the bow wavers if not moved by the depressing of the button.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “General Chat”