Love the new model

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
slazia
Tracker

Love the new model

Post by slazia »

I am so happy membership is no longer required. I have spent so much money on this game (mainly on weapons) so it is really nice to be able to come back and hunt everything again.

I think I started playing around 2011, but I feel it may have been a little earlier.

I couldn't really afford to spend any more on this game (I bought COTW to support the company, but it didn't have the same feeling as TheHunter), but I put some extra GM$ on my account after buying the 7mm-08 Scout (love this). Got the 10 gauge lever action and plan to buy the .17 at some point.

Thank you so much for this change. I hope this brings in a wave of new players that come to appreciate the game in the same way I do.

Enjoy the ten-year celebrations EW; you've made a lot of virtual hunters happy!
muledeer
Hunter

Re: Love the new model

Post by muledeer »

;) Happy hunting 8-)
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

I almost love it. So far it's the most interested in the game I have been in a year...

But paying for ammo and fuel (if I bought that dud of a jeep) is a bit off putting...it feels a bit needless.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
slazia
Tracker

Post by slazia »

I think paying for ammo actually improves the game. It makes you more careful with your shots and I enjoy the feeling of getting a good kill that will pay for my current ammo. I can see how it is an adjustment, but for people who have already bought a load of guns, I think this is perfect!

Picked up the .17 in the sale just now. No chance to fire it yet :)
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I dont mind at all paying for ammo. Of course I want to get filthy rich on gms but gameplay wise its good. Taxidermize I dont want to pay for they could maybe just charge for real trophies so i can put at least something on the walls in the meantime.

But yes its good. Still I don't recon I will get off cotw for it but at least they got me back trying it.

Graphics is no showstopper but I wish the animations was less stiff. I feel so clumsy walking around and handling the guns. Prior to cotw that never bothered me.
Skybird
Hunter

Post by Skybird »

I think it is easy to scare unknowing newbies away when saying "paying for ammo". If you are a bit reasonable with your shots, you earn more gm$ easily than you need to invest into comepnsating for the spent ammo. So one maybe should explain this model more often: that paying for ammo does not mean paying real world money for ammo, but ingame curreency that is very easy to be generated by harvesting right.

Saying this because in the past three days three former hunting buddies mentioned it to me and complained about it, and I had to explain them how it really is.

I be straight and say: you do not pay for ammo. Becasue you do not py with real money for ammo. I at least must not.

I also like a side-effect from this ammo-money model. The game always was a bit of an animal massacre simulator, and female deer was mowed down as if there was no tomorrow. I noticed that myself now tends to not shoot females anymore, but trying to avoid them to not have them spoiling my chase for scoring prey. Since I never cared to much for scoring and statistics, he incentive of these to not go after females always was relatively low . I took females out because it helped to raise the only statistics that I had an eye on, always: shooting precision. Every kill counts (some weapons I use I have at 98%, and I do not want to spoil that). No matter what I killed. This attitude is gone, I now think of the virtual costs of the shot, and instead go after kills that actually earn me virtual coins. Thats why I like this new system an awesome lot. Or female pigs. They score low, say CSS=3=3 gm$. Ten such kills do not even provide half the cost for a new box of ammo. Its a deficitary huntign strategy, therefore. Better go after the boars only. 2 killed boars or bucks, and you have your new ammo box. If the buck scores well, you already have one and a half new box with just one kill.

They should have done this much earlier. Its a very drastic positive impact on the way I play the game.

(Also, ammo box" problems". There is no such problem with half-consumed boxes stockpiling up in the inventory. When I return to the game an duse the same weapon i used last time, the ammo box I last had in use, still is in the inventory. I also can easily choose what ammo box I want to use, since the lodge inventory lists the boxes separated according to their content. )
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Skybird wrote:I think it is easy to scare unknowing newbies away when saying "paying for ammo". If you are a bit reasonable with your shots, you earn more gm$ easily than you need to invest into comepnsating for the spent ammo. So one maybe should explain this model more often: that paying for ammo does not mean paying real world money for ammo, but ingame curreency that is very easy to be generated by harvesting right.

Saying this because in the past three days three former hunting buddies mentioned it to me and complained about it, and I had to explain them how it really is.

I be straight and say: you do not pay for ammo. Becasue you do not py with real money for ammo. I at least must not.
It is no longer replenished at the start of the hunt as included in the membership, and you buy it from the store so you would be wrong. Just because you can earn gm$ and they have purchasing power it does not mean you are not buying stuff.

I also like a side-effect from this ammo-money model. The game always was a bit of an animal massacre simulator, and female deer was mowed down as if there was no tomorrow. I noticed that myself now tends to not shoot females anymore, but trying to avoid them to not have them spoiling my chase for scoring prey. Since I never cared to much for scoring and statistics, he incentive of these to not go after females always was relatively low . I took females out because it helped to raise the only statistics that I had an eye on, always: shooting precision. Every kill counts (some weapons I use I have at 98%, and I do not want to spoil that). No matter what I killed. This attitude is gone, I now think of the virtual costs of the shot, and instead go after kills that actually earn me virtual coins. Thats why I like this new system an awesome lot. Or female pigs. They score low, say CSS=3=3 gm$. Ten such kills do not even provide half the cost for a new box of ammo. Its a deficitary huntign strategy, therefore. Better go after the boars only. 2 killed boars or bucks, and you have your new ammo box. If the buck scores well, you already have one and a half new box with just one kill.

They should have done this much earlier. Its a very drastic positive impact on the way I play the game.

Just because you needed this change to vary your playing style is in no way a reason they should have done this earlier.
(Also, ammo box" problems". There is no such problem with half-consumed boxes stockpiling up in the inventory. When I return to the game an duse the same weapon i used last time, the ammo box I last had in use, still is in the inventory. I also can easily choose what ammo box I want to use, since the lodge inventory lists the boxes separated according to their content. )
The problem isn't with 1/2 ammo boxes it is with ones with 1 or 2 because they take the same space as a full box. Meaning you have less usable carry capacity. In what world would a hunter go out with a short amount of ammo because that is what was left in the box on the shelf.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

DHRifleman wrote:In what world would a hunter go out with a short amount of ammo because that is what was left in the box on the shelf.
True, but in what world would a hunter have more than one unfinished box. They sure are a waste of space but not to a large extend.

Everyone use up your boxes and then get used to always having an unfinished lying around per type.

There could have been a lot done to the better handling of stackable items such as ammo or camping supplies, it was just never done. This is not the time to expect an improvements. Happy to be positively surprised though. :)
Last edited by HooCairs on May 10th, 2019, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
muledeer
Hunter

Post by muledeer »

Maybe they read the problems and fix it at one point or make a change but why nobody learn to manage your own inventory?
to much bal bla bla about nothing
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

The thread started out as "love the new model" but turned into the same misery thread as many others. :?

Maybe a mod can create a Big Ammo Dilemma thread and clean up this and others. :P
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”