Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

Post by Tod1d »

Burning Bridges wrote:
Tod1d wrote:(9.3 I think has the greatest drop for the high powered weapons. (not including the .22 air or .22LR)
Yes those two are sad examples. ...the .22 like an air rifle.
Not sure why I excluded the .22s since they are not "high-powered" ??? But when I initially tested the ballistics on both the .22LR & .22 air they were pretty much spot on.
They got borked (hate to use 'nerfed' as it seems to imply 'intentional') when they were released but were quickly fixed. Now they're borked again.

For anything smaller than a goose, the .22LR worked great for long range shots. And pretty decent for mid-long-range on geese & turkeys. Probably a bit better than it's real world counterpart.

As for drop & holdover, that's just part of shooting. I'd be really disappointed if it weren't part of the game.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

moyal wrote:Where does the .45-70 Buffalo Rifle fit in all of this?
Great rifle no doubt, one of the best for me in fact. However the classic scope makes it unsuitable for shots over 150m.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

What about the 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle, I think drops above 200, I only us it 150<= mts, rarely above that range with Buffalo, Moose, Brown/Grizzly Bears and Pigs.
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

17 Hmr for Small game
.30 R for Medium game
.340 for Big game

All with the biggest scope possible for each, 9.3 and 45-70 have way too much drop to be "good" for long range shooting, sure it can be done but flatter shooting rifles are better.
Nathan22Outdoors
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

HooCairs wrote:
moyal wrote:Where does the .45-70 Buffalo Rifle fit in all of this?
Great rifle no doubt, one of the best for me in fact. However the classic scope makes it unsuitable for shots over 150m.
The Buffalo really should be a rifle for very long shot in big game, isn't it? Maybe they should add a better scope, even if I think the 6x20 is not so bad. Or is the .340 better? I always used 45-70 for medium-long shot in big game. Do you think about that?
Btw, today with the 45-70 Government I harvested my 800th crazy Grizzly :mrgreen:
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

I hunted a lot of feral goats for the missions. that drop on the 9.3 was really spectactular. Dunno the range possible closer to 200 then 150. I aimed a bit high on the chest but pretty much centered and got a clean miss not even leg shot. But it´s special capability is probably better for really close range on big game or pheasant hunting :)
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

Which of these rifles is better for very long shot in big game: 45.70 Government (I know it shouldn't, but...), 47.70 Buffalo or Weatherby .340
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

1Al wrote:Which of these rifles is better for very long shot in big game: 45.70 Government (I know it shouldn't, but...), 47.70 Buffalo or Weatherby .340
For the longest distances .340 is the best choice.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

1Al wrote:Which of these rifles is better for very long shot in big game: 45.70 Government (I know it shouldn't, but...), 47.70 Buffalo or Weatherby .340
The Buffalo has no scope suitable for shots over 150m.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/HooC ... /640584955
500m intestine shot with .340 on rocky mountain elk using the 5.5x22 scope.

You need to know the bullet drop though. What distances did you have in mind?
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
1Al
Hunter

Post by 1Al »

HooCairs wrote:
The Buffalo has no scope suitable for shots over 150m.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/HooC ... /640584955
500m intestine shot with .340 on rocky mountain elk using the 5.5x22 scope.

You need to know the bullet drop though. What distances did you have in mind?
Actually I had in mind great distance shot without scope :mrgreen: I mean just the more powerful and effective rifle at great distance for big game.
Great shot anyway :)
From my own experience up to 270mt there is no bullet drop, over that distance I dont know, have you any link about that?

Return to “General Chat”