Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

Post by Tod1d »

Least bullet drop, I think are the 7mm & .340. (45-70 is also surprisingly flat shooting). (9.3 I think has the greatest drop for the high powered weapons. (not including the .22 air or .22LR)

"shoots straighter" is more a function of skill level, (less wobble at higher levels). And/or stance & weapon configuration. i.e. the Scout with the bipod is remarkably stable, yet cumbersome to use.
Shooting from a tower or using the tripod rest also greatly improves accuracy.
And then there is 'innate skill', that is the technique used when shooting. If you hold the "Control Breath" key (Space Bar), you should notice that at about 3 seconds the weapon is the steadiest.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

The new 9.3 74R should perform similarly to the 9.3x62? This I can try as I own them :) 0.30 R in comparison should shoot straighter over range? These numbers say nothing to me has a lot to read up on :)
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

6.5x55 has also pretty flat trajectory, it cannot take down large animals over long distances but Whitetail and smaller it can take from at least 400 meters.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

This is what I have found.

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
slazia
Tracker

Post by slazia »

Surprised to see the .223 carrying to well compared to the .300. I guess the .223 will drop quickly after that (lower energy).
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

slazia wrote:Surprised to see the .223 carrying to well compared to the .300. I guess the .223 will drop quickly after that (lower energy).
In terms of muzzle velocity, a 223 would usually be around high 3000s to 4000, while a 300 is around high 2000s to 3000, so 223 would have considerably more energy.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

HooCairs wrote:This is what I have found.

Hey!! really nice contributio Hoo, thanks so much,I'll try it on Branger, I notice that 6.5x55 Blaser R8 and Panther are Zeroed to 150mts like .300, you think this apply too?
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

mapache01 wrote:
HooCairs wrote:This is what I have found.

Hey!! really nice contributio Hoo, thanks so much,I'll try it on Branger, I notice that 6.5x55 Blaser R8 and Panther are Zeroed to 150mts like .300, you think this apply too?
6.5x55 drops bit more than 7mm/.300. I did some testing to field target at 360m with Bullpup and Blaser, Bullpup I used 3-9x40mm Anschütz Rifle Scope since it has same magnification and similar crosshair as Blaser scope. Bullpup hit 10 when crosshair was lined with field target's crossbar (which the target is hanging), Blaser hit 10 when crosshair was it's width over the target's crossbar. So not huge diffrence but yeah 7mm and .300 has less bullet drop than 6.5x55.
Burning Bridges
Hunter

Post by Burning Bridges »

knott wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:
knott wrote:Is. 30 R more accurate then the 9.3?
If the same person is firing both weapons, no. Accuracy isn't a parameter of the weapons. What is your definition of accuracy?
Less bulletdrop and something that shoots straighter is generally easier for me :). Plus penetration at long distance of course
I have done my own tests, and find .30R is vastly superior. The 30R still dead on hits the point of aim at 175m, Anschütz 9.3 drops to the 6 (bad) and the Drilling 9.3 drops to the 2 (worst). This can of course be compensated but I learned that .30R drops animals on the spot even over 250m whereas 9.3 mm is usually a recipe for searching and hoof shots. (The correct way is of course to shoot only to 100m but you know how it is when you have no patience). Get them both and compare them until you find the one that suits you most. For me the .30R is the best rifle in the game overall when I put in things like looks and scope, and its performance is perfect for all animals it covers at all ranges (which is a very weighty point compared to eg 308 or 9.3)
Tod1d wrote:(9.3 I think has the greatest drop for the high powered weapons. (not including the .22 air or .22LR)
Yes those two are sad examples. The 9.3x74 behaves more like shoulder artillery, the .22 like an air rifle. The 9.3 has plenty of stopping power and enough accuracy for ranges up to 150m so it is not "bad" per se, just a very poor choice for shots over 200m. I actually think I kinda "like" this caliber because it forces me to not take ridiculous shots, and wait til the target is close enough for a assured kill.
moyal
Spotter

Post by moyal »

Where does the .45-70 Buffalo Rifle fit in all of this?

Return to “General Chat”