Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Andhii
Scout

Re: Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

Post by Andhii »

HooCairs wrote:From what I see the .30 R has less drop and better penetration than the .300.
Since there's no statistic released to confirm this we just have to go by our experience on how these weapons behave and I have to disagree with you here, the bullet drop of .30R and .300 are very similiar at 300 meters but I have noticed that .30R starts to drop much sooner than .300 when you go past the 1000 meter mark. Theres a reason why the longest shots in the game have been made with .300.
HooCairs wrote:Bullet drop is not a factor that matters. You need to correct with all rifles over bigger distances, you just need to know much depending on distance and rifle. It does not matter if that correction is more or less, so it is not a selection criterion.
Ofcourse it matters :shock:. If you have a target sitting at 3000 meters and we remove other elements such as wind and aim shakiness, bullet drop is the thing that determines on how far you can reach out with the bullet. Compare the extreme ends: shoot a target at 3000m with a rifle that has low bullet drop and then take a shotgun with slug, your slug won't even travel to 3km. Every weapon in the game has a limit that the projectile can travel. You won't see anyone hitting a 3000m target with a bow, no matter how tall the mountain is you're firing from. Unless Tony tries it :lol:.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Andhii wrote:Ofcourse it matters :shock:. If you have a target sitting at 3000 meters and we remove other elements such as wind and aim shakiness, bullet drop is the thing that determines on how far you can reach out with the bullet.
Ok let's ask the author of the OP if he means long range shots on animals (up to 600m) or long range shots on targets (3000m). I cannot speak for the second.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

By the way Andhii, do you see a difference between the .300 Composite and the .300 Carbon for these super long shots? They are two different rifles.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Since there's no statistic released to confirm this we just have to go by our experience on how these weapons behave and I have to disagree with you here, the bullet drop of .30R and .300 are very similiar at 300 meters but I have noticed that .30R starts to drop much sooner than .300 when you go past the 1000 meter mark. Theres a reason why the longest shots in the game have been made with .300.
You are spot on my friend. I have tried them all, nothing in game will compare with the .300 when it comes down to getting the job done. Since there is no ballistics information available on in game ammo, the only way to figure it out is to shoot the rifles, which I have done, and am sure You also have tried. The .300 will git-er-done.
Spoiler:
Hosenfuhrer
Spotter

Post by Hosenfuhrer »

Depends on what game you are trying to shoot, but I'd say the Scout rifle with the eagle scope and 7mm-08 HV bullets. Great for the open plains of Whiterime Ridge when hunting Dall Sheep and Sitka Deer.
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

Any rifle will do just fine in normal hunting ranges 50-400m, use what you are most confident with :)

I just tried the 30R, 300 carbon and 300 composite on a target at 1300m (whiterime from top of the mountain to the waterfall) and to my suprise they all perform pretty much equal. There is no difference between the .300's to speak of and the .30R is also a good choice for that range.

Keep in mind guys that in all these testings the enviroment is not controlled so the results may vary. I'm more experienced on long range shooting (1500m+) and if you look at the current season range leaderboards you can't deny Hoo's expertise on that field but they are two different things.

Do what you want, use what you want but remember to enjoy it.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Is. 30 R more accurate then the 9.3?
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

knott wrote:Is. 30 R more accurate then the 9.3?
If the same person is firing both weapons, no. Accuracy isn't a parameter of the weapons. What is your definition of accuracy?
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

300 or bullpup is my choice. 300 has in my opinion the better scopes. there is arguements or preferences for many rifles. just what you prefer really.
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

caledonianblues wrote:
knott wrote:Is. 30 R more accurate then the 9.3?
If the same person is firing both weapons, no. Accuracy isn't a parameter of the weapons. What is your definition of accuracy?
Less bulletdrop and something that shoots straighter is generally easier for me :). Plus penetration at long distance of course

Return to “General Chat”