Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Biggeorge2525

Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

Post by Biggeorge2525 »

I use the new 7mm, with the basic x42 scope, and high velocity bullets.

What do you guys use?
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Best gun/scope/ammunition for long rangw

Post by VonStratos »

.300 and .30r O/U for medium sized ethical animals like Sitka, .340 for all what is ethical for it and of course the 5.5-22x56mm Rifle Scope.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Re: Best gun/scope/ammunition for long rangw

Post by XxStrong1xX »

30R or .340 with the eagle scope.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Best gun/scope/ammunition for long range

Post by HooCairs »

You shoot ducks with the 7mm? ;)

Depends and animal species and also other factors such as wobble factor or available scopes.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

I saw that mentioned the .340 as a good gun and it is but nothing to do compared to the 45-70 even if they said is for medium range for big game. maybe IRL like i read in special reviews but in the game can be used for long shots. the best for me is the 9.3x74R O/U Break Action Rifle but is only a double barrel and that remove of it's capacity. the .340 has as negative the only 3 cartridge magazine and the total of seven capacity. I used in water buffalo hunting and never has a single shot kill compared to the 45-70 or the 9.3x74RO/U. My opinion certainly
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

45.70 lever action is a great gun with long arms and a massive fist. Couple it with a big scope and it can handle any medium and big game at all ranges.
Pair it up with the 243 or 223 and and stick the grasshopper in for good measure you have a winning combination that will cover any bird or animal.
You could also add it to your free 243 and free single shot shotgun for a excellent starting combination.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

If you don't own atleast 1 variation of the .300 you can't call yourself a long range shooter.
Spoiler:
8-)
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

Andhii wrote:If you don't own atleast 1 variation of the .300 you can't call yourself a long range shooter.
Spoiler:
8-)
A good long range shooter dont need the. 300 ammunition
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

knott wrote:
Andhii wrote:If you don't own atleast 1 variation of the .300 you can't call yourself a long range shooter.
Spoiler:
8-)
A good long range shooter dont need the. 300 ammunition
True. Also a good climber can climb up a tree ass first, right? But doing difficult things with the best gear and strategy possible raises the success rate.

But the title says "best gun for long range" and that is either .300 or .340 simply because the 2 facts that they take the highest magnification scope and have the least bullet drop over range.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Andhii wrote:But the title says "best gun for long range" and that is either .300 or .340 simply because the 2 facts that they take the highest magnification scope and have the least bullet drop over range.
From what I see the .30 R has less drop and better penetration than the .300. I have been using the Bullpup for its lesser wobble though.

Bullet drop is not a factor that matters. You need to correct with all rifles over bigger distances, you just need to know much depending on distance and rifle. It does not matter if that correction is more or less, so it is not a selection criterion.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”