Waskilly Wabbits!

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Waskilly Wabbits!

Post by BearJohnson »

I am currently in a tree stand over looking 8 (EIGHT) burroughs (Euro Wabbit Holes). I have been in this stand for over 2 hours game time. I have killed more Roe Deer than wabbits. 2 wabbits down... NO more sightings... Is there a limit to the population of a series of burroughs? I used to think that it was 1 wabbit per hole... but I dunno now. How long should I stay here? 5:30 am to 8 am so far. Wabbit Warriors I am calling on you to inform me. When should I call it quits and move on to the next set?
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Re: Waskilly Wabbits!

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Are there any tracking domes still near the burrows? You will know you have killed them all when the tracks are gone. I am not aware of any ratio of rabbits/burrow. But I would think with that large of a warren there would be more than 2 there.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Did you sneak up to the stand? I find sometimes you need to scare the rabbits back to the holes if you're going to hunt them that way.
They can wander quite a ways from the burrows
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

lotsa trax... I put the stand up in the beginning... and shot two - plenty of "spook"... more roe deer and a nice red deer added to the lack of wabbits
Trigger time = FUN!

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Sounds like they snuck out on you - Have you fired a gun? I've had this situation and they come running from all directions - then you get to play "Whack-A-Wabbit"
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

after another hour of game time - I gave up - walked around - found another hole and capped 2 at that hole.... meh... wabbits...
Trigger time = FUN!

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Euro rabbits are a matter of patience, if there is tracks there one alive, but they can hide for around 15 minutes before come out after being scared, and if you shot again then they can hide for another 15 minutes and so on, and so on... also they can left the borrow from a borrow you aren't watching and get far, a shot should make them come back, another thing, if you hurt one but it doesn't die try look for it in prone position in each burrow, usually is dead hidden into one.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Cottontails are much more fun. Useless advice, I know. I've barely hunted European rabbits because the burrowing mechanic, although probably realistic, just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I only ever shoot them if I happen to stumble across one.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

if still tracks there is some there. go upto holes or fire go out render come back. you can literally stand on the holes and they still come out dont need to be at distance.
FR_Bugs
Outfitter

Post by FR_Bugs »

I love to hunt European rabbits, I give you a technical: every 5 minutes, get off your treestand and run among the burrows, usually, if there are rabbits they go out after 1 or 2 minutes. It is also possible, when there are 2 groups of nearby burrows (less than 100m) that rabbits that have spooked area changes. you must find the 2nd group of burrows to find the rabbits.

Return to “General Chat”