Reindeer tips?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Markoberto

Reindeer tips?

Post by Markoberto »

Hi! Any experienced reindeer hunters here? Many of the tips out there seem "outdated" now.

The only strats i know about today is spawning on the north lodge and hunting on the west side of hemmeldal.

Do they migrate in all directions?

In what direction do u go? Do u walk in zig zag, or a straight line?

Any good route maps?

much appreciated :)

GL hunting
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Reindeer tips?

Post by DYEUZ »

Markoberto wrote:
Do they migrate in all directions?
Yes they do . They spawn and migrate randomly each hunt .
I find that they migrate from North @ South , and vice versa , more than the other way .
Here is some areas where i hunt them most . Not saying you will not see them anywhere else though .

In what direction do u go? Do u walk in zig zag, or a straight line?
I pretty much hunt where the 2 TS are , next to the areas shown and walk alongside of the borderline .

Any good route maps?
It could be something like the blue lines .
Keep me posted of your results please .
Good luck . ;)

much appreciated :)

GL hunting

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Cashole42
Spotter

Post by Cashole42 »

I don't know if it helps any or not, but I just finished up a mission that had me going from the NE tower to the stone in the NW and I found three herds of reindeer all in between the tower and the northernmost pond, all heading east/northeast. Found all three within a half an hour and got a 567 bull in one of them. I've also always had good luck down at the two frozen ponds and the south ridge of the canyon they sit in. My friend likes the bowl the stone sits in, but I only ever see ptarmigans there and *maybe* an odd cow or two coming through.

Just keep wandering, you'll find them. You can usually hear them long before you ever see them.
curlyCoyote
Outfitter

Post by curlyCoyote »

I dont know if this helps but almost always there is at least one male raindeer leading a group of many females.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Anyone have any tips on locating the reindeer by sound when they are headbutting each other and making clacking noises? These don't show up on the Huntermate, and the noise seems to come from all directions and I find it almost impossible to determine the direction that they are at. If you hear them clacking, do you use the caller and try and call them in? Also, do only males headbutt, or do the females do this as well?
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

jttoo wrote:Anyone have any tips on locating the reindeer by sound when they are headbutting each other and making clacking noises? These don't show up on the Huntermate, and the noise seems to come from all directions and I find it almost impossible to determine the direction that they are at. If you hear them clacking, do you use the caller and try and call them in?
Use headphones. Yes.
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

jttoo wrote:Anyone have any tips on locating the reindeer by sound when they are headbutting each other and making clacking noises? These don't show up on the Huntermate, and the noise seems to come from all directions and I find it almost impossible to determine the direction that they are at. If you hear them clacking, do you use the caller and try and call them in? Also, do only males headbutt, or do the females do this as well?
I don't think that clacking/clicking sound is from them headbutting like Ibex do. It is a sound that apparently IRL reindeer also make, and is caused buy the tendons in their feet.
Personal Bests...
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Fletchette wrote:I don't think that clacking/clicking sound is from them headbutting like Ibex do. It is a sound that apparently IRL reindeer also make, and is caused buy the tendons in their feet.
I have seen them headbutt, and they were making the clacking when they connected, but, perhaps you are right.

Brutus, I do use headphones, but it doesn't help me for the reindeer.

While playing COTW, I had some 7.1 surround sound headphones and those made a world of difference in that game, not so much in Classic. Those headphone broke though so I am back to using bluetooth wireless headphones.
Brutus969
Scout

Post by Brutus969 »

When using headphones I rotate my character whilst there is a sound so I can pinpoint its direction, by making all the sound go into one earphone. Try that?
What weapon earns you the most from missions? How can I see at a glance all the missions I can currently do in a given reserve? Check out https://missionitemtool.herokuapp.com/

jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Brutus969 wrote:When using headphones I rotate my character whilst there is a sound so I can pinpoint its direction, by making all the sound go into one earphone. Try that?
Brutus, does that work for you with the reindeer clacking? It doesn't seem to work for me, as the clacking is so very brief, and doesn't seem to be very directional. Perhaps its time for better headphones, or perhaps hearing aids! :lol:

Return to “General Chat”