Can caller ranges be extended.

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Can caller ranges be extended.

Post by DanthemanBoone »

We are all aware that the render range extends a finite distance in a circle from a hunters position on a flat plane, but that that range at which animals can be see and shot can be increased when the animal is seen from a higher altitude.
Given that situation, could a caller, scent spray, e-caller or bait station be made more efficient by using it on a higher position than the surrounding area containing animals that would be attracted to it.

Any Ideas or experience on this supposition.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Re: Can caller ranges be extended.

Post by DarkHunterXX »

When the render range increased i was wondering why the caller range was still at 220m. Would like to see it extended to the render range.
Although maybe it is a lot of work since they need to change the map on the huntermate aswell etc.

Maybe a developer could explain this to us.
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Actually I like the fact that the caller doesn't work out to 320 meters, it would be too easy if you ask me. I assume it was a conscious decision by the devs to keep the game balanced. Just my opinion of course.
Image Image Image
Mountaineer
Hunter

Post by Mountaineer »

Tanngnjostr wrote:Actually I like the fact that the caller doesn't work out to 320 meters, it would be too easy if you ask me. I assume it was a conscious decision by the devs to keep the game balanced. Just my opinion of course.
They don't work out nearly that far, from what I have read over the years from the devs is that the caller distances and duration of effect varies from species to species.I don't believe render distance and caller distance have anything to do with each other but I could be wrong.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Mountaineer wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:Actually I like the fact that the caller doesn't work out to 320 meters, it would be too easy if you ask me. I assume it was a conscious decision by the devs to keep the game balanced. Just my opinion of course.
They don't work out nearly that far, from what I have read over the years from the devs is that the caller distances and duration of effect varies from species to species.I don't believe render distance and caller distance have anything to do with each other but I could be wrong.
The duration of effect varies, but the distance is the same for almost all species - 220 meters which was the old render distance. It does not increase if you use extended render range, so even if you can see animals out to 320 meters with the highest settings nowadays, the caller still works out to 220 meters only.
The only exception that I know of is using the predator caller on cats (bobcat, lynx), which works up to 100 meters if I remember correctly.
Image Image Image
Toledo
Spotter

Post by Toledo »

Tanngnjostr wrote:The duration of effect varies, but the distance is the same for almost all species - 220 meters which was the old render distance.
I would like to see this confirmed, like Mountaineer I have doubts.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Hmmm, Pretty sure what Dan was asking is if you are elevated above the animals, does the caller still work out to 220m horizontally, which we know can be much further in a direct line to the animal. (same principal as long shots). My guess would be yes, but I am not sure. VdB would be a good place to test it with red fox, roe deer or red deer.

My guess is, that when originally coded the callers worked (had a chance of working) on any animal that was rendered. When they extended the render range they would have had to change that to check the distance. And since rendering is measured in the XY plane only, not accounting for elevation, I'm assuming so would the distance check for reaction to calls.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Toledo wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:The duration of effect varies, but the distance is the same for almost all species - 220 meters which was the old render distance.

Here you can see how long last the attraction of the caller based on what species:
https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Callers

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Toledo
Spotter

Post by Toledo »

VonStratos wrote:
Toledo wrote:
Here you can see how long last the attraction of the caller based on what species:
https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Callers
I want the range of these callers to be confirmed, range is what this thread is all about. ;)
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

The range is 220mts for the normal callers, the E-caller have a lesser distance. There has been no official announcement of changes in the distance of the callers, and from experience i have seem is still the same.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “General Chat”