Bobcat Setup

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Bobcat Setup

Post by VonStratos »

Zapatas wrote:
xOEDragonx wrote:I personally do all of my bobcat hunting on Rougarou Bayou. On a fresh hunt, the only animals you really see in the northern forests are bobcats, deer and black bear. And since black bear aren't particularly abundant and don't call, almost every call you get up there is either from a deer or a cat. It makes finding cats in large numbers easier whereas on WHI or LP I'm lucky if I see 1 or 2 cats in a hunt if I'm not specifically looking for them.
Okay mby i shall try that out. Do you have any good treestand locations?
stancomputerhunter wrote:Bobcats spook after they get within 7-10 meters of the caller. I have one 31 meters from the middle tower in Logger's. Easy bow shot as soon as they are within 30. You don't have to put the caller right next to the tower.
I got the tent 15m from the tower and the caller under the tower. Don't seeme so get any bobcats. Tryed 10 games of min. 30min IRL time calling and 1 bobcat.

Just a question. Do you spawn at the tent? if so, don't do it, spawn in a lodge and then fast travel to the tent. Also, the Bobcats are tricky, sometimes you can see a pair in that tower fields, but is not the only spot, other places to look for them are RB in all the area around the north lodge, and in White Hart Island, at the south island you can find tracks constantly, but since are forest is probably that the bobcat see you before you to them, if you are getting bad luck at LP try give a shot at the other reserves. ;)

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Zapatas wrote:Okay mby i shall try that out. Do you have any good treestand locations?
I've outlined the area on this map where I do all of my bobcat hunting. I have a lot of favorite spots that I hang tree stands (I always carry one with me in case I get a call on the move) but the four dots are semi-permanent set-ups for me. The two red dots are my favorite spots that always seem to offer multiple cats, the yellow dots seem to be more hit-or-miss when it comes to multiples. Really though, anywhere in that red outline makes for pretty good bobcat hunting.

Zapatas

Post by Zapatas »

xOEDragonx wrote:
Zapatas wrote:Okay mby i shall try that out. Do you have any good treestand locations?
I've outlined the area on this map where I do all of my bobcat hunting. I have a lot of favorite spots that I hang tree stands (I always carry one with me in case I get a call on the move) but the four dots are semi-permanent set-ups for me. The two red dots are my favorite spots that always seem to offer multiple cats, the yellow dots seem to be more hit-or-miss when it comes to multiples. Really though, anywhere in that red outline makes for pretty good bobcat hunting.

Thanks a lot, ill check that out. Do you have tent near the spots or do you just travel from the lodge?
VonStratos wrote:
Zapatas wrote:
xOEDragonx wrote:I personally do all of my bobcat hunting on Rougarou Bayou. On a fresh hunt, the only animals you really see in the northern forests are bobcats, deer and black bear. And since black bear aren't particularly abundant and don't call, almost every call you get up there is either from a deer or a cat. It makes finding cats in large numbers easier whereas on WHI or LP I'm lucky if I see 1 or 2 cats in a hunt if I'm not specifically looking for them.
Okay mby i shall try that out. Do you have any good treestand locations?
stancomputerhunter wrote:Bobcats spook after they get within 7-10 meters of the caller. I have one 31 meters from the middle tower in Logger's. Easy bow shot as soon as they are within 30. You don't have to put the caller right next to the tower.
I got the tent 15m from the tower and the caller under the tower. Don't seeme so get any bobcats. Tryed 10 games of min. 30min IRL time calling and 1 bobcat.

Just a question. Do you spawn at the tent? if so, don't do it, spawn in a lodge and then fast travel to the tent. Also, the Bobcats are tricky, sometimes you can see a pair in that tower fields, but is not the only spot, other places to look for them are RB in all the area around the north lodge, and in White Hart Island, at the south island you can find tracks constantly, but since are forest is probably that the bobcat see you before you to them, if you are getting bad luck at LP try give a shot at the other reserves. ;)

Yes i spawn at the tent. I shall try spawn at lodge og fasttravel there instead. I have a setup in WH but its logger's point there is the pain for me. (like to have multi setup's :) )
Ill really need to try the RB out for sure going there next :)
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

on rougarou best spot i found with almost instant action is where the exclamation mark is. when the bobcat missions was on you had to kill one around this point and i left a tent and tree stand at the tree where the mark is. walk around few minutes fast travel there. it will be a bobcat or whitetail.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

If you spawn in the tent that could explain why are you having some difficulties getting Bobcats in the area, when you spawn in a tent there will be no animals around in a 150mts range, so the best tactic is spawn in a lodge and then FT to the tent, that way you can get animals right there, i used to have a hog feeder in that tower, so i did that a lot when i was checking the feeder, and usually was one or two bobcat in the area, and some WT, also the hour can be a factor, i used start at 7or 8 in the morning.

The map that xOEDragonx posted is a very nice area for Bobcats and some bears too, but have the inconvenience of the tall grass, is swamp and may be harder to watch the Bobcats, but if you can get the growl of one and then get a caller placed then you can lure them into a good shooting place.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

there can be massive differences between fast travelling to tents and obviously starting at them. the tower on loggers will work with both fast travelling to it will often yield better results in a shorter time though.
xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Zapatas wrote:Thanks a lot, ill check that out. Do you have tent near the spots or do you just travel from the lodge?
I have tents near most of my permanent set-ups for fast traveling. I do love the occasional stalk and shoot hunt where I just walk everywhere and toss a tree stand up whenever I get a call I want but if I want speedy results, I definitely start at a lodge and fast travel. It makes a huge difference in the amount of time you have to wait to see some action.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

feral hogs can be a pain if you hunting bobcats as they will make them move off their natural path. check out if they dont come in is feral hogs near you or the path of the bobcats.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I have a tent, tree stand, and caller at the location marked. If I FT from the south lodge, there is always a Bobcat near. I can see the side of the hill from my duck blinds as well.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29

Return to “General Chat”