Why EW wont renew The Hunter classic?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Ludante
Outfitter

Re: Why EW wont renew The Hunter classic?

Post by Ludante »

vsaet wrote:
VonStratos wrote:
Ludante wrote:New engine..imagine all the maps, animals and items in the store transferring to a new engine. I am not an IT expert but I have a feeling that would be a gigantic task to do. And for what in return?

If everything we have her (in our accounts) is transferred to a new engine with no charge to the customers other than our already payed membership then would be a non profitable business in the short term, but may keep and bring back players for the long term since would be all renewed. Still i think that any new engine or new The Hunter would be made as a separate new game, is just too gigantic task to develop and implement all the reserves and items we have here into a engine in just 1 or 2 years, we have 10 years of development running here. A new start would need to be small, a couple of reserves at time, limited animals, slowly testing, and fixing, and adjusting. and then we have COTW for that, is EW big enough in manpower and funds to do the development 2 new huge games at same time? i don't know, Maybe after COTW start to fade and a new product be needed.
Well! here is a realistic approach of the problem.I agree. For that reason let's play till any new development ( good or bad)
Guys, I agree with what you are saying, and I hope that Classic will move one day to another level, but non-profitable business is not likely to happen, unless you have a bunch of volunteer programmers who will dedicate their time to do so. The companies will not waste resources and money on this. But that is only my opinion.

p.s. COTW and Classic are under the same company, most likely further development of the Classic would not have much sense to do at the same time as development of the COTW, both in same direction. Only way I can see that will happen is in case of the separate ownership. Again anything in the future is possible.
I joined the forum in order to post pictures and videos from gameplay, also to get news, updates and additional features..Everything I say or post is purely for fun purposes.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

When COTW was first brought up it was stated and still fits that it was not created to compete with classic. They are 2 completely different play styles, and pay styles.

Personally the only reason I would like classic to have an updated engine is to make EW's creation process easier and less buggy. The graphics are fine even for a 10 year old engine.

As long as players keep buying subscriptions, and items there is no reason the game will not continue.

I saw the comment about DHT being stillborn, well when you create a standalone, one time purchase game, and expect to support data storage on a server with no additional income like a subscription, it is bound to fail.
Same reason COTW won't have those aspects we have in classic, there is no sub to pay for it.

If you like classic, keep renewing and buying the items you want, and it should keep going. Pulling back because of perceived outcomes becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
If you think a ship is sinking with no reliable information, drilling a hole below the waterline will not let the water out to keep it afloat.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

DHRifleman wrote:When COTW was first brought up it was stated and still fits that it was not created to compete with classic. They are 2 completely different play styles, and pay styles.

Personally the only reason I would like classic to have an updated engine is to make EW's creation process easier and less buggy. The graphics are fine even for a 10 year old engine.

As long as players keep buying subscriptions, and items there is no reason the game will not continue.

I saw the comment about DHT being stillborn, well when you create a standalone, one time purchase game, and expect to support data storage on a server with no additional income like a subscription, it is bound to fail.
Same reason COTW won't have those aspects we have in classic, there is no sub to pay for it.

If you like classic, keep renewing and buying the items you want, and it should keep going. Pulling back because of perceived outcomes becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
If you think a ship is sinking with no reliable information, drilling a hole below the waterline will not let the water out to keep it afloat.
That is the reality. I try playing COTW some weeks now but I can't have the sensation of what I feel when I play The Classic. COTW seems ,I will be hard here, like some Facebook games. You kill and you progress,every animal harvested give you points that you use to buy items . Like in the other games I mentioned you shot on cubes or other objects and you take coins here you shoot on animals. I can't consider that as a hunting game. And also you can't have all history, trophies, statistics you can't even find what you harvested the day before. I always think that the problem for EW it was the big cost of the different servers to be used if they upgrade the Classic. But in the other hand I can say,for myself, that I am ready to pay the double to have The Classic with the same style of graphics but a new engine.
I think many readers of the post will say that I speak like an old man and I can't accept the progress! But if the progress bring less satisfaction for me better is to stay away. 8-)
Skybird
Hunter

Post by Skybird »

I had and have Classic on PC, and last year got COTW on PS4. Different to what I expected, the latter has its justfication. And it gets ongoing support, it seems. Three new reserves by now.

I assumed in the past and still do so, that they decided to allow slow, silent migration of player focus from old to new The Hunter, and so they created COTW. They claim it is no successor, but I think it is, and the way they remain silent about it, do not even maintain a proper forum, is a policy aiming at avoiding conflicts and fights over Classic versus COTW

I had not played Classic, or almost not, for the past two years, but in recent days got back into it, on a new hardware. Its still good. However, I enjoy COTW on PS4 tremendously, too. I LIKE BOTH GAMES. And the graphics just are superior in the new one. Quite some features in it are superior, as a matter of fact. Some are needless let downs, however. Maybe the game is a test ballon for Classic 2.0, maybe it was an attempt to cheaply harvets some cash on the console segment (perfectly valid motive, to be clear on that), but I don't think so. I think it is a relaxed, silent, unrushed shift from old to new Hunter - not by pushing it but by creating the option to let it just happen all by itself, at its own pace. There is quite soem aqrgument to justify moving from the old to the new, at least, like I do, play them both.

I only hope, and recommend to them, that if they pull the plug on Classic one day, they shut down MP servers only, but leave the game playable in SP mode, either by one final patch making owned content independent from online, and shutting down the statistics stuff that is managed online, or just maintaining a minimum server needed for single players to play alone. I hate to imagine that I cannot occasionally visit the old places that I got used to over so many years. And the numbers stuff I nerver was interested in anyway, and I do not miss the online boards in COTW at all. There is some real biography and many memories in there, since the places and scenes at times raised emotional reactions, moods, and sentiments. Ironically, the old, first maps still are the dearest to me. Its a sentimental thing, yes - but a very intense one. TheHunter Classic indeed has become a classic by now. Good, old, tasty vintage wine. Somewhat precious.

I play both games currently, and plan to continue with that. If the new one would have replaced the old one, the old one no longe rbeign playable - I would have been *****. BIG TIME. And I doubt I would have supported the new game, due to anger. No - like they do it, or at least like I assume they do it, they probably have chosen the wisest way. As far as I am concerned, it pays off. While I did not stop with the old game, I fully support and play the new game as well. More they cannot ask for.

I would definitely prefer that a third game, if there will be one, Classic 2.0, would be "just" a new engine used on the existing maps. I do not want to loose the old maps. The wheel must not be reinvented - its already there, proven, and being round since long time. Stick to it. It does not get any more round than this.
hours: >960 / Hunter Score: >8400
Hynu
Tracker

Post by Hynu »

If they made a new version of classic with the COTW engine and game mechanics, id be a happy man too, and like you say Skybird, keep the old maps aswell.
iz_da
Scout

Post by iz_da »

They're in too blooming deep.
Years of (yes, I've said it before) the famous "that'll do" approach. Nothing has ever been fixed properly, but plenty has been added to generate money.
And with all that new junk came even more problems.
And let's not forget the turnover of actually properly qualified personnel. Too many cooks spoil the broth!
The next milestone was the release of BRR, the first of four maps solely designed for grinding and running & gunning.
None of the maps ever since produced an experience like e.g. WHI, RFF, Hirschfelden or RB.

Same thing, different day.

I played my last session four months ago and the hunt history (previous 40 sessions) dates back to May.
It is finished, time to accept it.
Spoiler:
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

that's exactly my thought! indeed too many beginners on Hc ... see HCW! and what about
"moderators"! I am angry after 10 years of play and I feel like I see some windows ... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
abslayer
Master Competitor

Post by abslayer »

DOOM DOOM The sky is falling :o :lol:
Come on guys REALLY :!:
Amauri Di Maia

Post by Amauri Di Maia »

Hello guys, Im new at the game, you can see by my stats (I have like 130hours played) I bought 6months sub, I already spent 8000em in the game, but honestly I worried about the future every time I see a debate about Classic vs COTW vs future, I would like to invest more in classic but my question is, should I? And if without warning it really becomes a dead end? I know some have the opinion that we should play it and dont think about the end, other already think its dead, but its a bit important to think about the future because (at least) for me spending money in a place that can be dead anytime soon, Im enjoying every penny I spent, I love my dog, I love my clothes and other stuff in the game but now I would like to buy some equipment to setup my maps but I really dont know if I should go ahead and do it (this is my two cents and whats going in my head today) after all I have COTW and all the DLCs but since the first day I tryed classic never played again COTW.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Amauri Di Maia wrote:Hello guys, Im new at the game, you can see by my stats (I have like 130hours played) I bought 6months sub, I already spent 8000em in the game, but honestly I worried about the future every time I see a debate about Classic vs COTW vs future, I would like to invest more in classic but my question is, should I? And if without warning it really becomes a dead end? I know some have the opinion that we should play it and dont think about the end, other already think its dead, but its a bit important to think about the future because (at least) for me spending money in a place that can be dead anytime soon, Im enjoying every penny I spent, I love my dog, I love my clothes and other stuff in the game but now I would like to buy some equipment to setup my maps but I really dont know if I should go ahead and do it (this is my two cents and whats going in my head today) after all I have COTW and all the DLCs but since the first day I tryed classic never played again COTW.
I along with several others here have been around since the start. There has always been talk of the game dying. Most never thought it would last this long. But they are still putting effort into it and I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon. There are no guarantees in life, but if you enjoy the game don't be afraid to spend money on it. :)

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071

Return to “General Chat”