Why EW wont renew The Hunter classic?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Why EW wont renew The Hunter classic?

Post by caledonianblues »

VonStratos wrote:This could be greatly appreciated, i mean if they tell us that there is a road map in motion for this whole year, and i am not talking about new reserves or big changes, but at least a road map to keep the game running with support, it would bring a lot of peace of mind to any possible player thinking about "should i keep spending money on this one? or should i renew my membership?"
This game is a live service, and there's absolutely no reason to worry about Expansive Worlds ceasing that service. Whatever happens, the service will remain live, at least until it's no longer covering costs. So, roadmap or not, exciting or boring, the game will almost certainly still be "available" for a long time to come. What I worry about is the impact on memberships and revenue when the decision is finally made to no longer develop the game. The fact the game is a live service in constant development is probably what attracts many players to it, and encourages them to renew and, in some cases, subscribe for years in advance. Once there's no longer any need to "support the developers", more players might lose interest and go elsewhere. Not everyone of course, but some. Switching the servers off when people have paid in advance for memberships would require Expansive Worlds to issue refunds, and there's no way they would consider that as anything other than an absolute last resort. The game is not going anywhere, per se. But, I very much believe the development team is, and that, for me, is the heart breaking reality that's soon going to hit. That's not to say I wouldn't still play the game after development ceases, I probably would. But knowing that what we have at that point, is what we will have for good, will be an odd feeling.

All good things come to an end, and even if what we have today is what remains for years to come, Emote and Expansive Worlds still achieved something pretty unique in this industry. I don't support a lot of the decisions they've made of late, but I take my hat off to them for achieving what they did. Not many other companies can say the same, and I certainly enjoyed the ride, far more than I ever thought possible.
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

caledonianblues wrote:
VonStratos wrote:This could be greatly appreciated, i mean if they tell us that there is a road map in motion for this whole year, and i am not talking about new reserves or big changes, but at least a road map to keep the game running with support, it would bring a lot of peace of mind to any possible player thinking about "should i keep spending money on this one? or should i renew my membership?"
This game is a live service, and there's absolutely no reason to worry about Expansive Worlds ceasing that service. Whatever happens, the service will remain live, at least until it's no longer covering costs. So, roadmap or not, exciting or boring, the game will almost certainly still be "available" for a long time to come. What I worry about is the impact on memberships and revenue when the decision is finally made to no longer develop the game. The fact the game is a live service in constant development is probably what attracts many players to it, and encourages them to renew and, in some cases, subscribe for years in advance. Once there's no longer any need to "support the developers", more players might lose interest and go elsewhere. Not everyone of course, but some. Switching the servers off when people have paid in advance for memberships would require Expansive Worlds to issue refunds, and there's no way they would consider that as anything other than an absolute last resort. The game is not going anywhere, per se. But, I very much believe the development team is, and that, for me, is the heart breaking reality that's soon going to hit. That's not to say I wouldn't still play the game after development ceases, I probably would. But knowing that what we have at that point, is what we will have for good, will be an odd feeling.

All good things come to an end, and even if what we have today is what remains for years to come, Emote and Expansive Worlds still achieved something pretty unique in this industry. I don't support a lot of the decisions they've made of late, but I take my hat off to them for achieving what they did. Not many other companies can say the same, and I certainly enjoyed the ride, far more than I ever thought possible.
That's is true but like I have an age that give me an image from older times I have to say that Flight simulator that I play also today was released in MS-DOS is the 80s was online for 20 years and Steam have from 2 years ago take the wrights and lanced the game for a second life. Certainly that game is an open source that every one can make software for it .
Now when I see and play last time COTW I found that is not so great, is plenty of bugs the movement of the player is catastrophic there are not so much animals and when I make a round and see the reports of specialized sites for hunting games I found it only in one of them because,my opinion, the game is not a proper hunting game the game play is not what the players of hunting games want and much more.But is very good for consoles behind a TV set because of the 4K resolution environment and the educational for the reserves content .In opposition the classic even 10 years old have better keys assignment better graphical environment and the liberty to buy what the player want when he want it. COTW is not a bad game but is not a proper hunting game the way hunting players wait. All that for saying that the classic can have a new life because the conception of the game is properly hunting.And for that reason have new players registered every day. I was surprised to see in the Steam discussion forum in bug reports 6 pinned threads for COTW. For me if EW not renew the Classic they make a mistake but ,you know, all is business! ;)
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

This was mentioned before, but, in the eventuality that EW someday decide drop Classic, wouldn't be a possible solution to sell it to another company willing to take it? or seek some alliance with other developers that may willing to keep the game running and updated and share profits?, i believe that options would be at least considered before any future decision about "finish" The Hunter Classic.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

VonStratos wrote:This was mentioned before, but, in the eventuality that EW someday decide drop Classic, wouldn't be a possible solution to sell it to another company willing to take it? or seek some alliance with other developers that may willing to keep the game running and updated and share profits?, i believe that options would be at least considered before any future decision about "finish" The Hunter Classic.
If Expansive Worlds drops Classic, it's because it's no longer covering its costs, so why would another company want to buy it? Why would anyone want to take on the burden of an extremely niche game that has been pulled in every possible direction throughout the last decade, completely undocumented, riddled with bugs ranging from minor to quite serious, running on an old engine that has pretty much reached its limits? The store is saturated with content. The only way to add real value to the game now is to start going back and re-visiting the animal models, the animations, animal behaviour, adding new types of species and environments, etc. These are all hypothetical questions and observations really. The game is part of a franchise, and selling it would require Avalanche to sell the name, the domain, the forum, IP rights, etc. It would be a very difficult acquisition to define exactly what's up for sale, and what's up for rent. Even if profitable, it would be a tough sell. Someone would need to be willing to accept a substantial loss, and not recover it for a significant period of time.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

That is a valid point, but take in consideration that not covering the cost is not the only reason to make a deal, it could also because EW want focus resources and manpower into other project while The Hunter is still making blue numbers, but even so would choose sell for that, or try to sell while is still in blue numbers but before it turn into a loss, or at least share the work with another interested partner. Now if any other company can get interested, well that is speculative, it would depend on how the deal is offered, but Classic for all its flaws got an asset, is a one contender with 10 years leading a niche where there is no competition at the door, that is a good selling point for anybody willing to risk it, but then again all this "if" are merely speculative, some day we will know what will happen, lets be happy is not happening today.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

A company is valued based on its revenue, at the crudest level. If Expansive Worlds decided they wanted to sell the intellectual property rights for Classic, that would be a good indicator that revenues were low and the product represented little to no value to the company. Otherwise why would they sell it? Anyone looking to acquire would either be lacking business acumen, or absolutely passionate about the game, with a few quid in the bank, content with buying something that would represent medium-term losses and a major headache. There really is no other way of looking at it. If someone doesn't want something there's generally always a good reason. Profitable (or potentially profitable) companies are sought out and acquired based on their performance or perceived value to the acquiring party. If a company goes looking for a buyer, there's a reason. Most companies that thrive go through a period of being an attractive opportunity for potential buyers. That time has passed for Classic in my humble and professional opinion. There are still things Expansive Worlds can do to prolong the life of the product, but to an outside investor, Classic really is just a bad business decision. Even if Expansive Worlds wanted to pass on the baton to a bunch of eager and enthusiastic developers, maybe a group that loved the game, they would have to be willing to accept losses and be prepared to invest money. If you can find someone willing to take that risk, I will pay you whatever that party pays for Classic ;)
Ceres

Post by Ceres »

DHRifleman wrote:Pulling back because of perceived outcomes becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
The wisest comment in this thread.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

its part of theHunter brand it wont ever happen.

ideally when it is time to close the doors the game code servers maybe could be carried on by fanbase. for free. other than that just acknowledge the time we enjoyed the game.
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:Granddads Lodge, that is still running a server and has comps every saturday night.
https://www.granddadlodge.com/
As for me and Jimbo, We are still making maps for them.
Gloom & doom aside (mostly because it's been beat into the ground).... you have me planning on a trip to the attic. I do believe I know exactly where my old discs are. I didn't have a pc up to creating maps way back when & I was very disappointed that I couldn't do that. A bunch of years ago I learned that I could create maps in SimCity 2004 so I still do that occasionally... I don't even create cities on some (I just like the results). My youngest Son & I tried & tried to create maps in DH many years ago. At the time I think it was my current version of windows that restricted me, if I pull that off now & show him he will freak out. :lol:
Enough of my exuberance, continue on with your doom & gloom.

My 2 cents......... I have a SH!TLOAD of $$$ spent on this game that can never be recovered. I do not regret spending it, well except for buying that pellet gun. I also have a much larger amount of cash involved in real life hunting that I will never recover. That money is GONE. Spent. I got what I paid for & enjoyed the hell out of it (in both methods). If the game is still around in May, I will not hesitate to renew. If it shuts down I will be very sad & a large part of my leisure time will be void of anything to do that I would enjoy any where near as much. BUT, just like the hunts I went on in real life, way back in my high school years, it will be GONE. The cash I spent to go on hunts with friends hundreds of miles from home is gone. But I enjoyed the experience & I am glad I decided to shell out the cash to go along with them. And the same applies here.
I like the picture that David has drawn out, albeit I would rather that the scenery stays the same.... but with him describing a game that plugs along as is, without much resources put in to it, is much better than what I had envisioned the end to look like. But until then I will continue double-clicking the icon on my desktop to play this game.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Muglug
Scout

Post by Muglug »

For many many months now thay have been doing lots of sales, as if thay are trying to get as much money as thay can befor thay close the server down.

In another Post i gave this game about 2 years shelf life so its got less than 1 year left, going by the repeated sales and amount of names at the bottom of the
forum (there was 3 to 4 lines when i joined) now your hard pushed to see 1 line, this is why i do not think it will see year 2020 and why i only payed for
6 months sub and not a year.

This i just my opinion, and i may still be wrong.

They have done well to keep it going this long....so yes hats off to them.
Ghosts don't die they just fade away, like players do every day.

Return to “General Chat”