Why EW wont renew The Hunter classic?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Why EW wont renew The Hunter classic?

Post by caledonianblues »

Amauri Di Maia wrote:Hello guys, Im new at the game, you can see by my stats (I have like 130hours played) I bought 6months sub, I already spent 8000em in the game, but honestly I worried about the future every time I see a debate about Classic vs COTW vs future, I would like to invest more in classic but my question is, should I? And if without warning it really becomes a dead end? I know some have the opinion that we should play it and dont think about the end, other already think its dead, but its a bit important to think about the future because (at least) for me spending money in a place that can be dead anytime soon, Im enjoying every penny I spent, I love my dog, I love my clothes and other stuff in the game but now I would like to buy some equipment to setup my maps but I really dont know if I should go ahead and do it (this is my two cents and whats going in my head today) after all I have COTW and all the DLCs but since the first day I tryed classic never played again COTW.
My advice, for what it's worth, is to bear in mind that the end of Classic is almost certainly not going to be as final as some might think. It will most likely come in the form of an announcement that there will be no further development, but that there will be some support staff around to keep things running and competitions on a regular schedule. The game won't suddenly disappear unless every single player abandons ship and the revenue disappears completely. The servers will continue to run while the game covers its own costs. Take salaries and staff overheads out of the equation and this game suddenly costs a fraction of what it costs today to maintain. For some players, having Classic as it is now for years to come might not be enough to justify buying a membership each year, but for some it might. Personally I think there's enough content in this game to keep new players going for a significant amount of time, so I don't think any money invested now is going to waste. As long as you can play and enjoy the game, then you will get a return from what you put in. But if you need to know that the game is going to continue on the same development path it has for the last 10 years, then I can almost guarantee disappointment. Expansive Worlds will at some point call it a day and commit their resources elsewhere, leaving this game to run as is (with the bugs we get left with) until the last person shuts off the light on the way out.

My take is that the recent focus on bug fixing could be a last-ditch effort to clear up some of the worst offending bugs before the development team moves on to something else, so that the players are left with a reasonably tolerable version of the game. This is just my personal opinion, which I'm sure many will disagree with and/or object to. Time will tell I guess. In the meantime, only you can decide whether to invest. I can say that I've not regretted a single cent spent on this game, and there have been a lot of 'em.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

To complement what Caledonianblues said, the game is still far of being shut down, even from being abandoned, at least not this year, Devs said some time ago that a roadmap is already done for this year, now that is not the same as to say we will get new reserves and big updates like in the old glory days, but they are still doing bug fixing and adding new stuff, like the new engraved skin for the 9.3x74 O/U,

Now if worth or not to put money right now in the game is a very personal decision,i would say if you see something that you like, go for it, there is no use to worry when the game will be over, this have been discussed long before COTW was launched, and the game is still here, so just enjoy it, eventually some day it will be done, or left in a zombie state, up but with no support, but today is not the day.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Amauri Di Maia wrote:Hello guys, Im new at the game, you can see by my stats (I have like 130hours played) I bought 6months sub, I already spent 8000em in the game, but honestly I worried about the future every time I see a debate about Classic vs COTW vs future, I would like to invest more in classic but my question is, should I? And if without warning it really becomes a dead end? I know some have the opinion that we should play it and dont think about the end, other already think its dead, but its a bit important to think about the future because (at least) for me spending money in a place that can be dead anytime soon, Im enjoying every penny I spent, I love my dog, I love my clothes and other stuff in the game but now I would like to buy some equipment to setup my maps but I really dont know if I should go ahead and do it (this is my two cents and whats going in my head today) after all I have COTW and all the DLCs but since the first day I tryed classic never played again COTW.
Unless you have a lot of expendable cash to dump into a bug-filled game that may or may not last another year, I'd spend elsewhere. When EW pulls support for this game that's it, every single existing bug is there for the rest of time. As of right now, and for the three years that I played, the bug list increases in size with each and every new release instead of decreasing and they rarely get fixed. That's a fact and don't let anyone tell you different. Yes EW does fix some bugs here and there, but there's been major bugs that have lasted for years without reason and even more in the past year. Even if EW never releases another piece of new content, the game is mighty buggy and they're not going to invest the required resources into fixing them at this point, obviously. If you agree that the total amount you invest should be commensurate with the quality of the product, then I suggest treading extremely lightly. Good luck. :)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

VonStratos wrote:To complement what Caledonianblues said, the game is still far of being shut down, even from being abandoned, at least not this year, Devs said some time ago that a roadmap is already done for this year, now that is not the same as to say we will get new reserves and big updates like in the old glory days, but they are still doing bug fixing and adding new stuff, like the new engraved skin for the 9.3x74 O/U
Actually that contradicts what I said, more than it complements it. At least, it contradicts what I think and perhaps didn't properly convey. To be absolutely clear, I do think development will cease this year, and in fact I think it will happen quite soon. For me, the writing is on the wall and there are signs that I have witnessed too many times in business. I do think a degree of support will remain to deal with tickets, competition schedules and the odd weapon re-skin or mission pack. Beyond that, I don't expect a whole lot in terms of content or functionality. I certainly don't expect another reserve or another species, but I will be very happy to be proven wrong. Also, if there is a roadmap for the next 12 months, which I honestly don't believe, I can't imagine it consisting of much. The odd bug fix here and there, the odd mission pack or competition, a re-skin here and there, maybe even a new weapon or outfit. Who knows, I could be wrong. I want to be wrong. I just don't think I am. There are too many red flags.

All that being said, the game is still here, and it still works. So I wouldn't discourage anyone from subscribing. I would just advise that they accept the game in its current state, and don't expect a whole lot from 2019.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I agree with David and also think that game development will stop in the next few months, but it's likely that they'll keep the servers running as long as revenue covers the costs. Looking at the developers' accounts in this forum it seems that the majority of them aren't even here any more and not all of them seem to have been replaced. Even the producer of the game (Bethany) hasn't logged on for a month.

Yes, there are bugs, but not everyone feels that the game is not enjoyable because of them. You need decide for yourself if the state of the game is worth investing. If you're not sure yet, continue playing for a few more weeks before you make a decision and buy all those expensive tents, blinds and tree stands. ;-)
Image Image Image
greylaghunter
Scout

Post by greylaghunter »

can ew make a statement to clarify the situation?
fantamichele
Outfitter

Post by fantamichele »

However, it is always nice to read positive thoughts Image
Amauri Di Maia

Post by Amauri Di Maia »

Im glad for every post related to what I said, and the douts gonna still there, but like I said I love the game and I love every penny I spent on it, I will continue to buy things I want and take the joy of them, I hope the game continue alive, at least in the terms some one said here, with some minimal team looking for some minor things that could happen. I did love some setups I saw here in the forum and other places over the internet but I will take baby steps and see in what direction this goes. But it’s always nice to read some positive opinion besides we have to respect every one opinions, but this one is mine.
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

Some hunters they look in the sky
And deduce from the clouds it will die
That may quite rash
As we keep spending cash
And on this minor point I rely

It's hay-day is gone that may be
But Ew have eyes and can see
the graphics are old
WWR is too cold
but the game will continue for me

For the bugs do not spoil our game
Every game outhere's the same
Some worse I do hear
That would drive you to tears
And of course there is no-one to blame

So here is my appeal to you all
Don't drive this great game to the wall
Enjoy what you've got
If you paying or not
And give thanks that we have it at all....

Cheers

Schlachtwolf
Last edited by Schlachtwolf on January 17th, 2019, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

piomarvado
Scout

Post by piomarvado »

Amauri Di Maia wrote:Im glad for every post related to what I said, and the douts gonna still there, but like I said I love the game and I love every penny I spent on it, I will continue to buy things I want and take the joy of them, I hope the game continue alive, at least in the terms some one said here, with some minimal team looking for some minor things that could happen. I did love some setups I saw here in the forum and other places over the internet but I will take baby steps and see in what direction this goes. But it’s always nice to read some positive opinion besides we have to respect every one opinions, but this one is mine.
Whereas this topic has 5 pages and approximately 30 people from the forum commented, out of a total of 70,000 +. (approximately 4%).
Whereas the hunter has more than 1 million accounts (this results in approximately 0.00003%).
Do you think this game will end?

Return to “General Chat”