7mm-08 scout

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
greylaghunter
Scout

7mm-08 scout

Post by greylaghunter »

bought this rifle and have had 59 shots with the hp ammo for 100% hits and 100% kills but today I loaded up with velocity ammo and hunted wolves I hit 100% of my shots but only registered 50% kills do you think the velocity ammo may be a bit light for wolves
ballester_molina
Spotter

Re: 7mm-08 scout

Post by ballester_molina »

I think high velocity ammo is a bit light for coyotes, and even more so for wolves. It can take down medium sized game, but only with precise shots.
strandjutter
Scout

Post by strandjutter »

ballester_molina wrote:I think high velocity ammo is a bit light for coyotes, and even more so for wolves. It can take down medium sized game, but only with precise shots.
Did you ever tried to shoot a coyote with the .17 hv ? They drop like a rock.
so i don't see why 07mm-08 should be to light it's way bigger bullet then the .17 !

ballester_molina
Spotter

Post by ballester_molina »

strandjutter wrote:
ballester_molina wrote:I think high velocity ammo is a bit light for coyotes, and even more so for wolves. It can take down medium sized game, but only with precise shots.
Did you ever tried to shoot a coyote with the .17 hv ? They drop like a rock.
so i don't see why 07mm-08 should be to light it's way bigger bullet then the .17 !
Yesterday I've lost a few coyotes. Body shots at close range, and they ran like hell, so i had to pull another bullet in it.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/ball ... /630172145

Imho .243 works better, but i'm going to hunt with it a bit more to make 'final conclusion'

This round is definitely not for 'slappy shooting' (i mean HV)
Last edited by ballester_molina on December 17th, 2018, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greylaghunter
Scout

Post by greylaghunter »

after a few more shots with the velocity load it seem to take the muleys down but struggles with the wolves so I think best to leave the velocity for foxes and bobcats
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

There is a glitch with it the camo 2-10 scope doesnt show up on the gun but the other scopes do??
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

I used it for the "Snow Sniper- Sitka" comp and it didn't even register the Sitka I shot with it. Yet, the 222 Moose I dropped did register for the "Moose Wisely". Wonder why that is? I would also not suggest using the HV shot on anything except small game. It almost bounces off the bigger game it claims can be shot with that load. The High Power load stops most things quickly tho'. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Rugged_Randy
Tracker

Post by Rugged_Randy »

BCKidd wrote:I used it for the "Snow Sniper- Sitka" comp and it didn't even register the Sitka I shot with it. Yet, the 222 Moose I dropped did register for the "Moose Wisely". Wonder why that is? I would also not suggest using the HV shot on anything except small game. It almost bounces off the bigger game it claims can be shot with that load. The High Power load stops most things quickly tho'. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
Have you made a bug report of that sitka comp with scout? They fixed Whitetail marksman when I posted report when Blaser shots didn't count.
And yeah HP ammo is basically .300 mag. It can take double lungs over 300 meters away to a Moose. That's pretty well for a necked down .308 ;)
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Rugged_Randy wrote:
BCKidd wrote:I used it for the "Snow Sniper- Sitka" comp and it didn't even register the Sitka I shot with it. Yet, the 222 Moose I dropped did register for the "Moose Wisely". Wonder why that is? I would also not suggest using the HV shot on anything except small game. It almost bounces off the bigger game it claims can be shot with that load. The High Power load stops most things quickly tho'. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.
Have you made a bug report of that sitka comp with scout? They fixed Whitetail marksman when I posted report when Blaser shots didn't count.
And yeah HP ammo is basically .300 mag. It can take double lungs over 300 meters away to a Moose. That's pretty well for a necked down .308 ;)
No I didn't make a bug report. I guess I should've. I have a feeling tho' once EW gets back to full capacity they're gonna make changes to the "Scout"- the bipod generally sucks hooey. I'd take the gun tho' even without that silly thing. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “General Chat”