Would you recommend the shooting tripod rest?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Would you recommend the shooting tripod rest?

Post by XxStrong1xX »

I notice the shooting "sticks" are on sale. I have never really considered purchasing them before; but lately I have been noticing quite a bit of wobble when I zoom in full with the Eagle scope. Is it practical to carry one of these rests in inventory and deploy and use it as needed in the field? I usually just try to go prone, but that is not always an option when in dense vegetation or certain terrain.

Thanks in advance to any helpful replies! :)

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Re: Would you recommend the shooting tripod rest?

Post by DYEUZ »

No. I do not recommend it . I don't like it at all . Never use it now .
Doesn't do what it says it does .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

DYEUZ wrote:No. I do not recommend it . I don't like it at all . Never use it now .
That is what I was afraid of. I had heard some negative things about them before and was just wondering if they had been "fixed". Should have known better. :lol:

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

They offer a bit of stability especially for those rifles for which you have a rather low weapon skill, but usually it's much easier and quicker to find a place to go prone. Prone is significantly more stable than using a tripod when crouched.

They have one advantage though - they have been added to most competitions that require you to shoot from a blind/stand/tower. Whenever I was enrolled in one of those and had a little space left in my backpack, I brought a tripod rest with me - just in case! :)
Image Image Image
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Tanngnjostr wrote:They offer a bit of stability especially for those rifles for which you have a rather low weapon skill, but usually it's much easier and quicker to find a place to go prone. Prone is significantly more stable than using a tripod when crouched.

They have one advantage though - they have been added to most competitions that require you to shoot from a blind/stand/tower. Whenever I was enrolled in one of those and had a little space left in my backpack, I brought a tripod rest with me - just in case! :)
Yeah I usually try to go prone but some places that can be a little tricky.

That is a good idea using it for those comps and something to definitely consider.

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

DYEUZ wrote:No. I do not recommend it . I don't like it at all . Never use it now .
Agreed. I own 1 of them. Bought it & used on a single hunt & have never used it since.

VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Tanngnjostr wrote:They offer a bit of stability especially for those rifles for which you have a rather low weapon skill, but usually it's much easier and quicker to find a place to go prone. Prone is significantly more stable than using a tripod when crouched.

Wait, can the tripod be used inside towers and blinds? that is the only time i thought "i wish i had one" but i was under the impression that it couldn't be placed inside those areas, it make the whole difference, but other than using it there i agree than getting a good place where go prone may be more simple and save space. :)

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

XxStrong1xX wrote:That is a good idea using it for those comps and something to definitely consider.
You could just buy one and carry it with you whenever you need it. In my opinion it's not something you need to setup permanently, so getting one for 385em$ on sale should do the job for the rest of your hunts. ;)
Image Image Image
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
XxStrong1xX wrote:That is a good idea using it for those comps and something to definitely consider.
You could just buy one and carry it with you whenever you need it. In my opinion it's not something you need to setup permanently, so getting one for 385em$ on sale should do the job for the rest of your hunts. ;)
Yeah that was my idea just to have it to carry and use when needed.

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

VonStratos wrote:Wait, can the tripod be used inside towers and blinds?
No, what I was trying to say is that you can use them as a platform in most official competitions that require one. The advantages of the tripod rest (compared to a blind or tree stand that you carry for the same purpose) are: less weight, can be placed almost everywhere, doesn't spook animals nearby.
Image Image Image

Return to “General Chat”