Would you recommend the shooting tripod rest?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
muldo
Outfitter

Re: Would you recommend the shooting tripod rest?

Post by muldo »

Not a fan, its gathering dust in the lodge.
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
VonStratos wrote:Wait, can the tripod be used inside towers and blinds?
No, what I was trying to say is that you can use them as a platform in most official competitions that require one. The advantages of the tripod rest (compared to a blind or tree stand that you carry for the same purpose) are: less weight, can be placed almost everywhere, doesn't spook animals nearby.
UHH OHH :o :shock: I did not know that!! So if you require to shot a Deer from Tripod, the tripod rest do the tricK?? that's nice
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

mapache01 wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:
VonStratos wrote:Wait, can the tripod be used inside towers and blinds?
No, what I was trying to say is that you can use them as a platform in most official competitions that require one. The advantages of the tripod rest (compared to a blind or tree stand that you carry for the same purpose) are: less weight, can be placed almost everywhere, doesn't spook animals nearby.
UHH OHH :o :shock: I did not know that!! So if you require to shot a Deer from Tripod, the tripod rest do the tricK?? that's nice

I don't think it work with missions/comps that require an specific platform item, if the description says by example: shot from a ground blind, then still must be from a GB, but i could be wrong.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

mapache01 wrote:UHH OHH :o :shock: I did not know that!! So if you require to shot a Deer from Tripod, the tripod rest do the tricK?? that's nice
Not like that in general... but a few competitions require you to shoot an animal from a platform - in the past, it just said "tower, stand or blind", but now the tripod rest has been added to that list.
As VonStratos said, it doesn't work for comps or missions that require you to use a specific platform.
Image Image Image
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Thanks for clarify!!! ;)
Treedweller
Tracker

Post by Treedweller »

Does anybody know whether the shooting tripod rest overrides your clothing camouflage like the other platforms do?
Quite some time ago I was wearing a complete gillie suit and was calling in some elks in WHI. I checked the camo effectiveness on the Huntermate and it was ok, I set up the tripod rest and when I saw the elks I entered it crouching and waited for them to come closer. But soon they spooked from quite far, maybe 50m or more. That made me think it's overriding my camo, leaving me with actually no camo, so I have used it very rarely and very cautiously ever since.
If somebody had more knowledge about this issue it would be much appreciated.
Dilaj
Tracker

Post by Dilaj »

I only use them for competition because its count as a stand
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

IMO, the tripod rest is a situational piece of gear, but it's one that I'm glad to own. If you're hunting in BRR, WRR or Hemmeldal, you can pretty much always find a place to go prone & be in good shape. Whitehart has lots of rocks or roots you can crawl on to get above the grass. At these locations, sure, the rest can be called useless. If you're in TGT or Loggers, or certain areas of SC, it's nice to be able to break out the tripod rest to get above the grass. The gear has helped me bag a few more animals here & there in that scenario, but I do wish the stability bonus was greater. You're basically sacrificing stability to get your head over the tall grass.
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

no...
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)
TurboKid
Tracker

Post by TurboKid »

Ill play devils advocate and say its good if on sale.

Like most items in thehunter you have to look at how you hunt and your plans for the sim etc.(maybe you use a standing tripod in real life?) Im only a gamer never hunted in my life, my style maybe different then yours etc.

Pros I found. Timbergold in some areas if you play on high settings its almost NEEDED for certain fields etcs. other areas and reserves also.

Shooting more than one animal. If you plan on shooting more than one animal you called in, it really helps out on getting a few truly more stable shots out.

Comps that blinds, towers etc some times also state Standing tripod.

Fun, brings some realism and messing about to the hunt.

Cons- takes some getting used to setting up fast.( nothing a hunt of practice won't fix.)
not useful in every scenario
May not be needed for your personal reserves or hunting styles. (ie turkey bow hunter etc.)

Return to “General Chat”