This is a giant slap in the face to anyone who's wanted this animal....

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Re: This is a giant slap in the face to anyone who's wanted this animal....

Post by DanthemanBoone »

DHRifleman wrote:
The styles differ in not in how you hunt in the games but why you do. Here it is for the comp win, mission completion, HS, Achievements for what they are worth.
COTW is mission based to gain credits to unlock and get additional equipment. COTW has an endpoint that you could actually complete once you have earned everything, where Classic does not. I don't think Arcade is accurate, but more scripted.

Classic is UFC and COTW is WWE ;)
Both have a place and can be entertaining.
....................................................................................................
I feel it needs to be clarified that in COTW you dont have to do any missions to unlock, progress through the levels, gain exp and earn currency.
It can be done solely on the basis of the animals you kill and the sites you unlock during the course of the game.

The endpoint will only come when the game no longer gets new maps, and the player has hunted all that appeal to him and/or the player reaches saturation point.

Buggered if I know what UFC or WWE are. Something to do with Pro Wrestling?

I totally agree with your last point.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Oswald74
Outfitter

Post by Oswald74 »

They can release whatever for COTW, this game clearly isn't made for me, so I will not buy it.

Bring interesting stuff AND bugfixing in theHunter (classic) and my money waits for you.

MfG L.E.

Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

I am still hoping for the Axis Deer on BR Map and an African Reserve in The Hunter Classic, but doesn't sound like it's probably ever going to happen. GGRRRR

Wetland
Djehmli
Tracker

Post by Djehmli »

To the mention of elder scrolls, I've been addicted to those games since the original elder scrolls 'the game' and daggerfall. Have every single one, including expectations for ESO from the closed beta until 8 months after release. Then it tanked for me.

Back on topic... I now play Classic once a week, normally I would be all in on the holiday stuff, but I've barely even tried since PB was released. I think because that map had zero interest for me. Just Cows and Pigs is how I see it, I am a farm girl, I have enough of them in the back yard. The geese added a lot more fun for me afterwards.

It was the lack of effort in fixing the scent hounds that completed my coffin. My attention was grabbed with the release of the new dog (after all, I finally get to have my avatar in game too) and then I realized... they didn't even attempt to perform maintenance on the original canine code, and here my new buddy was ending up just a bugged as my previous. Pretty much game over for me, it was like the Trophy Lodge again... introduce something great and let it trickle away after reaping a few sales.

I'll hunt my Reindeer again (favorite part of christmas) but I doubt I'll finish the missions, haven't finished a holiday mission pack yet this year. Have no interest in the actual point collection portion of the event.

When I see/hear the veterans who has supported this game religiously (to me at least) on the forums previous to this year, all but step away from the game. I know something is dead in the Classic House. The forums reek with it.
Spoiler:

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
DHRifleman wrote: Classic is UFC and COTW is WWE ;)
UFC is real fighting entertainment and WWE is Pro Wrestling fake entertainment....
Hard to compare fighting to either game unless it's talked about in the forums,.. it's good for a laugh here though.........

"Jimbo" compared them to Steak and Hamburgers..... that's his taste though,.. and he had just probably eaten a hamburger for dinner...... :lol:

If I had to compare Classic I would leave any "real" out of it...
They're both games for entertainment, and can be valid to each individual with their choices.

Blame Mark (Tanngnjostr) for all this end of the world stuff...... :lol:
According to Mat (TK) they still have lots already planted into the New Years role already so maybe all of this is just conjecture like the fairy tale Chicken Little .......
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

DanthemanBoone wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:
The styles differ in not in how you hunt in the games but why you do. Here it is for the comp win, mission completion, HS, Achievements for what they are worth.
COTW is mission based to gain credits to unlock and get additional equipment. COTW has an endpoint that you could actually complete once you have earned everything, where Classic does not. I don't think Arcade is accurate, but more scripted.

Classic is UFC and COTW is WWE ;)
....................................................................................................
I feel it needs to be clarified that in COTW you dont have to do any missions to unlock, progress through the levels, gain exp and earn currency.
It can be done solely on the basis of the animals you kill and the sites you unlock during the course of the game.
How do you unlock sites?

The endpoint will only come when the game no longer gets new maps, and the player has hunted all that appeal to him and/or the player reaches saturation point.
My point doesn't mean it can happen fast, just that it can. Isn't it possible to grind through the maps and complete missions, and get every piece of equipment up to that date?
Classic will always have another comp so no endpoint as long as it is here

UFC is 2 people in a round cage beating the hell out of each other until one submits, is KOed, or it is stopped. WWE is Pro Wrestling where it is completely choreographed and 99.99% of the time the winner is determined way before anyone gets into the ring. So my analogy was that in classic you are competing against others with an unknown outcome, and in COTW you are going through the motions to get to a pre determined outcome

I totally agree with your last point.
Honestly, both have a place but if the best of both could be combined it would be the Ultimate game.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

Djehmli wrote: When I see/hear the veterans who has supported this game religiously (to me at least) on the forums previous to this year, all but step away from the game. I know something is dead in the Classic House. The forums reek with it.
I enjoyed your post but I wanted to highlight this last bit.

The forums over the past year have had such a negative atmosphere, you can tell things aren't right. I know classic can't last forever but it is sad nonetheless.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

@ DHRifleman
You unlock bases by walking up to the flag pole and press E when prompted.
Unlock stone cairns the same way.
You unlock the small huts by going inside, approaching the note on the wall and pressing E when prompted.
You unlock lookouts by climbing to the top, approach the info centre and press E when Prompted.

Every time you unlock something you get exp points, some in-game currency and new areas of the map are opened up.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

I think it's a little wild to say that "they use our money to pay for CotW." Any company will absolutely focus on support for whatever their cash cow is. If they're primarily focusing on a game, it's b/c that's the game that's bringing in the bucks. Meaning: CotW pays for itself, and so long as money is coming in from Classic, they will continue to work on it.

They are also always heavily developing this game, as should be obvious with all the things constantly being released. I sincerely doubt that the dev teams--from programmers to artists--are the same teams between the two games. Are they? Is it even a question of which to put dev time into? I'd have assumed that two different games have two different sets of people working on them, since they're on separate engines, etc.

I don't care about a South American map. If they add cougars I hope they look better than what's shown in that trailer. That one's running really weirdly... I do hope they fix bugs in the current game first, and also focus on improving what we have. Models. Behavior/AI. Bugs.

Summary, not a slap in the face for me, even though I have suggested cougars before.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

DanthemanBoone wrote:@ DHRifleman
You unlock bases by walking up to the flag pole and press E when prompted.
Unlock stone cairns the same way.
You unlock the small huts by going inside, approaching the note on the wall and pressing E when prompted.
You unlock lookouts by climbing to the top, approach the info centre and press E when Prompted.

Every time you unlock something you get exp points, some in-game currency and new areas of the map are opened up.
OK, you open new areas by exploration and not doing a set task like hunt down X animal.
TheSheWolf wrote:I think it's a little wild to say that "they use our money to pay for CotW." Any company will absolutely focus on support for whatever their cash cow is. If they're primarily focusing on a game, it's b/c that's the game that's bringing in the bucks. Meaning: CotW pays for itself, and so long as money is coming in from Classic, they will continue to work on it.

They used money received for this game to create Primal, and COTW and in the first one it was greatly at the detriment of this one, and not quite as bad for the second

They are also always heavily developing this game, as should be obvious with all the things constantly being released. I sincerely doubt that the dev teams--from programmers to artists--are the same teams between the two games. Are they? Is it even a question of which to put dev time into? I'd have assumed that two different games have two different sets of people working on them, since they're on separate engines, etc.

Yes different dev teams and hopefully if Classic need some monetary support to keep it running it gets it from COTW

I don't care about a South American map. If they add cougars I hope they look better than what's shown in that trailer. That one's running really weirdly... I do hope they fix bugs in the current game first, and also focus on improving what we have. Models. Behavior/AI. Bugs.

Summary, not a slap in the face for me, even though I have suggested cougars before.
I think the slap was referring to COTW getting things that a quite a while ago we were told we would not get, like Africa. It would either mean there has been a change of heart, or COTW is thought of as a lesser game which I surely doubt. Now when with primal we were told it would be an experimental or proving ground for things to be added to Classic, still waiting for some of that as well.

My hope is EW with all of it's games continues to grow, and keeps Classic alive much longer than would typically be expected, even if its just because it was their flagship game that allowed them to get where they are. And finally before the end create it again with current technology.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD

Return to “General Chat”