This is a giant slap in the face to anyone who's wanted this animal....

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: This is a giant slap in the face to anyone who's wanted this animal....

Post by Tanngnjostr »

gas56 wrote:How can you justify a statement like that when we are still paying memberships and spending on features and events on this game?
I see it differently. We are paying to get the game as it is right now. EW isn't obliged to develop Classic with our money - it's theirs and if they choose to put it into CotW instead (because it's more profitable for them), they're free to do so. We were never entitled to get any development or new features, they just did it because it kept the game profitable.

So of course EW is interested to develop new features as long as those can be monetized - either by selling them directly or by keeping the game interesting thus selling more memberships. But my strong belief is that the management at EW/Avalanche is well aware that the game is at the end of its lifecycle. So if I were them, I'd only invest resources into features that can be monetized in the short term. New weapons - fine! A vehicle that sells at 1k em$ - obviously fine too. Development of a whole new reserve for a game that might only last another year or two? - No thanks, we better put that into CotW.

That's how I see it, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I'm just surprised that so many players don't seem to realize that Classic probably isn't the "star" in Avalanche's hunting portfolio any more - I would think that CotW has that role now. If we're lucky it's still a cash cow, but as far as I know those get milked without any long-term investments.
Image Image Image
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
gas56 wrote:How can you justify a statement like that when we are still paying memberships and spending on features and events on this game?
I see it differently. We are paying to get the game as it is right now. EW isn't obliged to develop Classic with our money - it's theirs and if they choose to put it into CotW instead (because it's more profitable for them), they're free to do so. We were never entitled to get any development or new features, they just did it because it kept the game profitable.

So of course EW is interested to develop new features as long as those can be monetized - either by selling them directly or by keeping the game interesting thus selling more memberships. But my strong belief is that the management at EW/Avalanche is well aware that the game is at the end of its lifecycle. So if I were them, I'd only invest resources into features that can be monetized in the short term. New weapons - fine! A vehicle that sells at 1k em$ - obviously fine too. Development of a whole new reserve for a game that might only last another year or two? - No thanks, we better put that into CotW.

That's how I see it, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I'm just surprised that so many players don't seem to realize that Classic probably isn't the "star" in Avalanche's hunting portfolio any more - I would think that CotW has that role now. If we're lucky it's still a cash cow, but as far as I know those get milked without any long-term investments.
You had me, Marc, until "We are paying to get the game as it is right now." Everything else you said, I agree with. But no, we aren't paying to get the game as it is now. We are paying to get the game we paid for..that didn't have hit box bugs, that didn't have un-harvestable animal bugs, that didn't have Grey Wolf AI that caused other animals to be almost impossible to hunt, that didn't have missing sounds when placing world items in a reserve, that didn't have the sound of a player walking in water where there is not water, that didn't have a HM or map that didn't show water but yet in front of your eyes is a half acre pond, that didn't have root systems of trees where the player could not get out once in between them, that didn't have dogs that we paid for that don't work as designed, that didn't have a plethora of other issues that were not there when we started, the list can go on and on. In my opinion, they at the very least have a moral obligation to fix them. Why shouldn't we be entitled to the game we paid for?
Last edited by stancomputerhunter on December 7th, 2018, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Nobody gives a hoot about any personal feelings here, neither to deliberately slight or target individuals preferences.
Its really about progress. The classic engine is old, it may not be possible to get all the things we want because of the simple economic facts that putting resources into this game makes less sense than putting those resources into a more modern application.
But then we did get a jeep in classic complete with the capacity to carry a mate, a dog and untold gear. COTW gets only a single seater 4 wheeler that cant even keep you out of the rain, is a bugger to drive and will burst into flames if you dont drive it with some care.
LOL.
COTW is the next step up, so much of what was learned in Classic and much of the content wanted for classic will be instigated in COTW simply because it has its whole life ahead of it.
But it is a different game, although obviously a close sibling to its older predecessor. Even the bugs bear a familiar family likeness.
Its up to each individual to decide if they want to keep up, Play one or both games ... or simply cry miserably into their beer while calling foul.
Last edited by DanthemanBoone on December 7th, 2018, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Reggy
Scout

Post by Reggy »

:arrow: Stan ninja-ed me but I agree with what he said.
stancomputerhunter wrote: Why shouldn't we be entitled to the game we paid for?
I'm some where in the middle. I do think this game is reaching the end of new development, but I also think the servers will be up for a very long time. Look at Primal, nothing is being done but it is still online. As long as COTW is online Classic, IMHO, will be available to play. Maybe only on Steam as that seems the current direction.

Tann you're correct, IMO, that we pay for what we currently have in the game, not for future development. The decision on how to spend revenue is not ours. However we do have the right to expect the current game to work as stated without game breaking bugs. Adding items to make money, cough Cash Grab, as a priority over fixing ongoing issues is something we are not paying to receive. ;) This is a business but a business needs customers to exist. You always want new customers but never at the cost of losing regular long-term customers. Or so I once thought. :D
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I see it differently. We are paying to get the game as it is right now. EW isn't obliged to develop Classic with our money - it's theirs and if they choose to put it into CotW instead (because it's more profitable for them), they're free to do so. We were never entitled to get any development or new features, they just did it because it kept the game profitable.
I don't remember them ever saying that they would stop ongoing development with paid membership dues, that only they were about to begin going
wider instead of bigger with the game. Well if that is a fact and I believe it still is that fixing bugs, putting more animals into maps, making new features and adjusting old ones still
all apply to that statement. It was never released as just an as is game. And if you interpret it as anything else than I believe we should hear it from the
horses mouth themselves and have an official statement made to see just what is now pertinently fact so the paying customers can make decisions on if the
game is still viable in supporting it because I am not one player who will play that other arcade game they call hunting or want my money going to its un-volunteered charity.
So it now begins....
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Stan, Reggy - I agree that severe bugs should be fixed as long as people pay for the game. Even though the opinions what constitutes a "severe" bug will probably differ. ;) Anything that clearly breaks the game should be fixed and any item that doesn't do what it's supposed to do should be refunded. And of course EW should keep the servers up as long as there are running memberships - even though... in PrettyBoy's case that'll probably mean until 2070.

What I meant was just that there's no obligation for EW to use our money the way we would want them to - just because the money was earned with Classic doesn't mean it has to go into Classic - as some people seem to think. And I'm sure no one wants to slap us in the face - that's all business decisions and I can understand them. As I've said numerous times before - I would have loved to see Classic get ported to a modern game engine, but that hope was pretty much dead the day they started developing CotW.
Image Image Image
lx188
Scout

Post by lx188 »

cotw looks nice thats all!! new reserve ok!!! ,but real hunting game always will be the classic!!!
ElusiveShadow
Outfitter

Post by ElusiveShadow »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
I see it differently. We are paying to get the game as it is right now. EW isn't obliged to develop Classic with our mone
Then they should stop charging a membership and take a one-off payment. It's always been the give and take of "we pay a membership and you expand the game with the money".

Classic won't last forever and it has had an amazing run but things like this make it clearer and clearer that COTW is the priority. It's making me hesitant to buy anything.

The last thing I want from the game when it finally ends: An offline, single player version.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

We already have Axis if you only imagine it properly - Put different antlers, or imagine different antlers on the sitka - which are basically female blacktail in the snow where some have antlers and add some muscle structure, or scale down the BT buck 15% and we call them bucks and insert AI file of whitetail and color using different crayons.

Haven't Fallow deer been in COTW since the start? The differences are what, a couple genes apart? some spots and no spots? I don't see the axis as some big thing, same deer different environment in a simplistic form.

I do sympathize for the yearning, I respect that desire for something that is special to others who do desire it- just as I would appreciate the same thoughts on something that could be special to me. In the end they all cook up to good eating :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

They all look best in the same place....right beside the green beans, mashed potatoes, and gravy.
Spoiler:

Return to “General Chat”