Feeling I Can't Shake..

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Feeling I Can't Shake..

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I've never played COTW, but I've seen quite a few video's and to be honest I am not all that impressed with it. Sure the graphics are a bit better, but the overall hunting feel isn't there for me. From the animations of animals when shot (bison rearing up and falling over when shot with a bow? Give me a break!), to night hunting for big game which is highly illegal where I come from. COTW just seems very arcadish as other's have said. I'll stick with Classic.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Mackie2112
Tracker

Post by Mackie2112 »

TreeKiwi wrote:
Redmaster wrote:I'm not sure why, but recently within the last few months I can't help to feel that Classic is being shelved/sidelined in favor for COTW. Now before you call me a COTW fanboy or anything similar to that, I've been playing THC for 7 years already and have bought hundreds of dollars worth of EM's. It seems the attention they are paying to COTW in favor of Classic is starting to overall affect not just my chances of ever returning, but also a few friends I know. Here are some valid points that I have witnessed. The jeep in my opinion was a shamble put together "last big thing" for Classic, while COTW today in a twitter status update announced that "something new" is coming(likely a new reserve from the hints).
1. Letting go of the main communicator to THC(Alena) after she was promised a chance to return. Clearly a change in house when she came back
2. Giving the single most highly requested map/idea to COTW, while we get spoon fed and forced to accept on the Classic front that any hunting in Africa is "poaching."
3. Survey of the year. COTW got which animals/reserves/gear/features would you want to see? Classic got "so did ya like the Halloween event?" and that was it.
4.Already at a point of two years in development, COTW has a little over half the number species of Classic, which has taken nearly 10 years to get to the point it is.
5. Monetizing reserves was obviously the last big step they didn't think about for Classic, and every new reserve is a motivation for COTW to have a literal cash cow.

***Not really important: Giving COTW a much better Hirschfelden with Fallow deer and European Bison, the former being one of the most requested species for the last half dozen years.
Hey thanks for sharing your opinion with us all here,

Just a few things to note;

Point 1: Like Stan pointed out, Alena decided not to come back, there was a job here for her if she wanted it.

Point 3: That was not our survey of the year, the title clearly stated "Halloween Survey". This year's survey was already done and it will come again next year.

Point 5: Both have different payment models, so you can not really compare the two like this.

Overall, the road map for next year is nearly done and it is looking awesome... there are some very new and exciting things coming early next year.

We are not going anywhere!

TK
Thanks for the response. OPS concerns are valid and you're response does quell some of the new player jitters (after spending more then I should have) and now fills with anticipation! :P Cheers!
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

I'm sure if they added a 'simulation' mode to COTW with stuff like trurac, no skills/perks, reduced animal density, slower pace etc then I'm sure people would migrate to it.
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Actually T.K's comment scares the B.jeezers out of me.
We have a road map ..... (but) .... we are not going anywhere.
LOL.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Redmaster
Scout

Post by Redmaster »

It does quell the monetization questions a bit, but it seems that COTW is now getting TWO reserves...literally in the span of less then 4 months of the past release. Makes me suspicious.
EndPin
Scout

Post by EndPin »

stancomputerhunter wrote:
HooCairs wrote:Classic is certainly in the autumn of its live, given the old technology it is based on. It is only normal that new hunters will jump to CotW.
COTW is for adolescents.
Guess I'm a 74 year old adolescent then.

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

EndPin wrote:
HooCairs wrote:Classic is certainly in the autumn of its live, given the old technology it is based on. It is only normal that new hunters will jump to CotW.
COTW is for adolescents.
I'd like to hear your comments about that game. Do you play on PC or Xbox? Have you played Classic? If so, what made you decide to switch?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

EndPin wrote:
COTW is for adolescents.
Its called the second childhood. And Im loving it.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Redmaster
Scout

Post by Redmaster »

Well, they have made two reserves already for COTW. They just dropped the trailer for Parque Fernando.
It has two, if not three of the most widely begged species we wanted for YEARS for Classic(Blackbuck, Axis, AND COUGAR).
They've given COTW not just one, but two begged for maps.
Honestly for me and a few friends, this just feels like a gigantic slap in the face after years of playing. Needless to say, I think this hunter is hanging his hat up.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Redmaster wrote:Well, they have made two reserves already for COTW. They just dropped the trailer for Parque Fernando.
It has two, if not three of the most widely begged species we wanted for YEARS for Classic(Blackbuck, Axis, AND COUGAR).
They've given COTW not just one, but two begged for maps.
Honestly for me and a few friends, this just feels like a gigantic slap in the face after years of playing. Needless to say, I think this hunter is hanging his hat up.
Call of the Wild is being shown a lot more love lately than Classic. I can sort of understand it from the point of view of the developers. Nobody wants to work on old tech. However I never thought Call of the Wild would become the flagship product, and it definitely seems like this has happened. New reserves and exciting species definitely can't compare to santa hats and candy cane rifles. That being said a lot of effort clearly went into the Jeep. But, I think this happened purely as a last ditch attempt to monetise something fairly large. I don't think the spirit of the game was at the forefront of its design. So I agree, it seems to me the sun is setting on our beloved game. The won't likely turn out the lights for a long time but I suspect at some point, the Classic development team headcount will be reduced to zero.

Return to “General Chat”