Feeling I Can't Shake..

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Redmaster
Scout

Feeling I Can't Shake..

Post by Redmaster »

I'm not sure why, but recently within the last few months I can't help to feel that Classic is being shelved/sidelined in favor for COTW. Now before you call me a COTW fanboy or anything similar to that, I've been playing THC for 7 years already and have bought hundreds of dollars worth of EM's. It seems the attention they are paying to COTW in favor of Classic is starting to overall affect not just my chances of ever returning, but also a few friends I know. Here are some valid points that I have witnessed. The jeep in my opinion was a shamble put together "last big thing" for Classic, while COTW today in a twitter status update announced that "something new" is coming(likely a new reserve from the hints).
1. Letting go of the main communicator to THC(Alena) after she was promised a chance to return. Clearly a change in house when she came back
2. Giving the single most highly requested map/idea to COTW, while we get spoon fed and forced to accept on the Classic front that any hunting in Africa is "poaching."
3. Survey of the year. COTW got which animals/reserves/gear/features would you want to see? Classic got "so did ya like the Halloween event?" and that was it.
4.Already at a point of two years in development, COTW has a little over half the number species of Classic, which has taken nearly 10 years to get to the point it is.
5. Monetizing reserves was obviously the last big step they didn't think about for Classic, and every new reserve is a motivation for COTW to have a literal cash cow.

***Not really important: Giving COTW a much better Hirschfelden with Fallow deer and European Bison, the former being one of the most requested species for the last half dozen years.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Re: Feeling I Can't Shake..

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Redmaster wrote:I'm not sure why, but recently within the last few months I can't help to feel that Classic is being shelved/sidelined in favor for COTW. Now before you call me a COTW fanboy or anything similar to that, I've been playing THC for 7 years already and have bought hundreds of dollars worth of EM's. It seems the attention they are paying to COTW in favor of Classic is starting to overall affect not just my chances of ever returning, but also a few friends I know. Here are some valid points that I have witnessed. The jeep in my opinion was a shamble put together "last big thing" for Classic, while COTW today in a twitter status update announced that "something new" is coming(likely a new reserve from the hints).
1. Letting go of the main communicator to THC(Alena) after she was promised a chance to return. Clearly a change in house when she came back
2. Giving the single most highly requested map/idea to COTW, while we get spoon fed and forced to accept on the Classic front that any hunting in Africa is "poaching."
3. Survey of the year. COTW got which animals/reserves/gear/features would you want to see? Classic got "so did ya like the Halloween event?" and that was it.
4.Already at a point of two years in development, COTW has a little over half the number species of Classic, which has taken nearly 10 years to get to the point it is.
5. Monetizing reserves was obviously the last big step they didn't think about for Classic, and every new reserve is a motivation for COTW to have a literal cash cow.

***Not really important: Giving COTW a much better Hirschfelden with Fallow deer and European Bison, the former being one of the most requested species for the last half dozen years.
Just to clarify, Alena has posted here in this forum, in the last week, that it was her decision not to return from maternity leave.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Classic is certainly in the autumn of its live, given the old technology it is based on. It is only normal that new hunters will jump to CotW.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

HooCairs wrote:Classic is certainly in the autumn of its live, given the old technology it is based on. It is only normal that new hunters will jump to CotW.
Wonder if thClassic clients stop to buy things will get EW the same amount of money to improve COTW?? COTW income is just US$5 per reserve, how many we Classic clients invest/spend on a soley weapon/tools/new things? and tha money instead of invest on fixing the bugs go to COTW , theHunter Classic is the Golden Egg Chicken for COTW what will happend if golden chicken clients stop renewing/buying em$?? COTW can support himself just with $5 per reserve every 3-4 months? Thing of that EW
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

HooCairs wrote:Classic is certainly in the autumn of its live, given the old technology it is based on. It is only normal that new hunters will jump to CotW.
COTW is for adolescents.

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

mapache01 wrote:Wonder if thClassic clients stop to buy things will get EW the same amount of money to improve COTW??
I suspect Call of the Wild is already making a profit based on the number of sales. I would imagine those profits are now funding Call of the Wild development, and perhaps other projects. However, I have for many years questioned the limited reinvestment of Classic funds, so I take your point. If people stop spending here, Expansive Worlds will to make up the deficit elsewhere. Let's just hope enough people keep spending to keep the servers on. Because if Expansive Worlds ever has to turn the service off, one of their other projects will have to fund the reimbursement of membership fees -- and with stunts like the deployable towers and lately one of the vehicles being tied to memberships, I suspect many are signed up for decades.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

caledonianblues wrote:
mapache01 wrote:Wonder if thClassic clients stop to buy things will get EW the same amount of money to improve COTW??
I suspect Call of the Wild is already making a profit based on the number of sales. I would imagine those profits are now funding Call of the Wild development, and perhaps other projects. However, I have for many years questioned the limited reinvestment of Classic funds, so I take your point. If people stop spending here, Expansive Worlds will to make up the deficit elsewhere. Let's just hope enough people keep spending to keep the servers on. Because if Expansive Worlds ever has to turn the service off, one of their other projects will have to fund the reimbursement of membership fees -- and with stunts like the deployable towers and lately one of the vehicles being tied to memberships, I suspect many are signed up for decades.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying EW has not reinvested earnings in to the game. There is a nebulous source of funds for both games?

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying EW has not reinvested earnings in to the game.
No, just that it's pretty clear that not all of the money has always gone back into Classic. Take Primal as a perfect example. It was clearly funded by Classic. There are no doubt more.
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

stancomputerhunter wrote:COTW is for adolescents.
Uh no.
COTW is very much realistic in a lot of ways over Classic and Classic has a lot over COTW.
For example I've noticed if the wind is going towards an animal in COTW they won't come in even laying down. However Classic is very lenient on scent, I've had wind blown right at a WT buck before and he didn't smell me with no scent reduction on from 20m.
Classic has Tru-racks, COTW doesn't.
I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the idea.
BOTH are good games.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
Mackie2112
Tracker

Post by Mackie2112 »

I see it this way. COTW was a way to expand into market Classic could not. I suspect keeping the hype for a game in this era of development is a tiring lesson of AHDH and OCD finish it in one go have everything at once mentality of modern gamers. Keeping them interested in itself is a chore. If they ever decide to stop classic my hope is they offer a way to pack it up and install it as they do with COTW. I invest in Classic because I like it challenge and its community events and contests.

Return to “General Chat”