Waterfowl and rifles?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Metamega03

Waterfowl and rifles?

Post by Metamega03 »

Wondering if any European waterfowlers could tell me if it’s legal their to use a single projectile (rifle cartridge) on waterfowl?

As a Canadian waterfowler myself, it’s federal law not to use a single projectile on waterfowl. Your required to use birdshot(non-toxic I.e lead).

I know the U.S has the same laws as it be way to easy to plunk ducks off with a small rifle at a distance. Partridge is allowed as they hide in thick brush for most part.

Shooting birds on ground or water is considered unsporting but not illegal. Their vitals end up being tucked under thick wing bones aswell as a smaller target.

Wondering where the developers came up with .22 and 17hmr for waterfowl. Perhaps other nations allow this? Not to mention firing a .22 at a flying bird is extremely dangerous.

Just a little detail that always bugged me.
Andhii
Scout

Re: Waterfowl and rifles?

Post by Andhii »

Here in Finland there's no laws against shooting ducks with rifles but i'v never heard of anyone doing so. Hunting clubs, which are have to be member of if you intend to hunt the lands they have rented, can place in restrictions that say you are not allowed to shoot a rifle in a body of water which would block any attempts to shoot a duck with a .22 for example. Shooting a rifle on a body of water is very risky anyways, that's why hunters here don't do it at all.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

It's illegal to use rifles on waterfowl in Louisiana. Also highly unethical, as you are firing a rifle into the air without knowing where the bullet will land.

Simple hunter safety 101 and a big NO-NO in real life.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I know a few rednecks here in the hills of Kentucky that could care less about unsportsmanslike conduct. To them its all about putting meat on the table.

Lets not lose sight that Classic is just a game & the pixels being harmed could really care less. While its good to strive for realism for yourself & ask for it to be portrayed in the game its a fools errand to expect it from others.
Why does EW do the things they do? Sometimes its about balance, sometimes its about sales & sometimes they dont know themselves.

Lapehunter
Outfitter

Post by Lapehunter »

Not specifically waterfowl, but in Nordic countries it's traditional to shoot upland fowl species to the tree branches and treetops with rifle cartridges. Especially for Black Grouse and Capercaillie it's one of the most valued hunting methods. And yes, it can be very dangerous if you don't know what is behind the target. For waterfowl it's not that common, as shooting birds to ground or water is not considered to be that great. It's only the trees that's the thing :D

Image Image
Dillakiller870
Spotter

Post by Dillakiller870 »

I wish they would illegalize rifles on ducks/geese. Totally unrealistic, and especially annoying when the ducks fly away and your partner whips out the plinksington and fires off 500 rounds at a flying duck. Also get rid of pistol and rifles for turkey. However I think rifles for ptarmigan and pheasant will be fine.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

In game shooting airborne waterfowl at longer ranges is fun too lots of players if you are one that don't enjoy it than I would suggest that you simply don't do it and not try to suck the fun out of this GAME.
Spoiler:
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Dillakiller870 wrote:I wish they would illegalize rifles on ducks/geese. Totally unrealistic, and especially annoying when the ducks fly away and your partner whips out the plinksington and fires off 500 rounds at a flying duck. Also get rid of pistol and rifles for turkey. However I think rifles for ptarmigan and pheasant will be fine.
Basically agree that waterfowl should be taken off the permitted list for rifles. Probably pheasants as well.
But Turkeys are primarily a ground bird, and mostly only fly when spooked, so the air and water dangers associated with rifle shooting do not exist in most cases.
Here in NZ we have some isolated areas where there are Turkey or Peacock, but they are classified as feral and no legislative controls exist for either that I am aware of.
I lived on a 10 acre block just out of Napier were both would wander across the fields. During late Nov/Dec they are fat from the spring and early summer Fare
and both make excellent table birds for Christmas dinner. But better headshot with a .22 than filled with shotgun pellets.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

Well... if you want this game to be realistic then...
You buy ONE tag per animal with em$.
You gear up and go hunting...
Shoot ONE animal per tag purchased, then...
Hunt ends.

Buy another tag = start another hunt.

It seems more fun to play a game...
that is after all a game.

Don't ya think?
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

Eraser_SK
Outfitter

Post by Eraser_SK »

One mission in thehunter i do it with .30-06

After all other objectives has been done, kill an animal with a .30-06 Lever Action Rifle while you are at The Solitary End (x -3900, y 10245). The animal shot does not need to be at The Solitary End.

i kill mallard and finish mission pack (Rougarou Bayou Travel Missions). Of course Doc was mad about this, of course doesnt count to harvest animal, but still i was rewarded with 3000 gm$ :)

Return to “The Great Outdoors”