Competitions and respect

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Re: Competitions and respect

Post by BearJohnson »

TheHunter-Master wrote:no i dont to be offensive. Its my fault i may dont use english languge properly ending up giving another meaning in what i want to say. i apologize
Hey bro...

Your English is just fine.

I understand.

I was not being mean to *you*.

I was not trying to be mean at all.

I was just saying - "Keep on trying!"

Competition is just that - a "Me vs Them"

I will admit that I do not enter certain comps - range for example.
I *KNOW* that I have not yet mastered the "range thing".
But I practice EVERY chance I get.
I am working on it.

Other comps that I do not join are the ones for a specific weapon type - I cannot afford to buy all the guns; and I do NOT want to hunt Rocky Mountain Elk with the single shot shotgun.

I play to have fun.

I join comps in hopes I get lucky and bag that "Elk of a lifetime" and gather some more em$ so I CAN buy that gun for THAT comp...

LOL - it is a visious circle - LOL
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

dj.p.king wrote:p.s that name you are using here doesn't exist in the game :lol: hiding behind a fake name :roll:
Wow...

I think I have been trolled by that guy.

Meh...

I don't care - I still have an opinion on this and that.

I am from The United States.

I am NOT getting political (I say that before I get accused of that).

In my country there has been a decay of the competitive spirit.
People give out "participation trophies" to make the less competitive, less skilled people "feel" like winners.

IMHO that is not right.

I played chess as a young boy against my Uncle - he was the State Champ on the collegiate level at the time.
He NEVER "let me win" - I lost so many games against him, but he never let me get discouraged.
Eventually I began to beat him.
I have raised 5 daughters. I have taught chess to all of them.
I have never "let them win". I have won many games against them (as expected), but I too have lost a few games against them.
I personally have never been prouder of my kids as to see them succeed against great odds. To learn the skills to win.
They do NOT accept "participation awards".
My kids rock.
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Yep, if you want to be competitive and compete what better way to gain experience, then by gettin' your ASS whooped. You may not always win, but the experienced gained improves your chances in the long run. No one should ever let anyone win because they have never won- that makes no sense at all, nor is it helpful to any competitor. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Hello, TheHunter-Master. I have understood since first read that you're not asking for players to simply lay down just so you and others can win. I understand that what you're really asking is for those who have learned and mastered a particular comp to give others a shot now and then. This made me smile because I've always been a fan of the underdog, because it's an unselfish petition, and because someone had the cojones to devote a thread to a "hot topic" such as this. Seeing the general response though, all I can do is repeat the saying, "You catch more bees with honey". This is what I mean..
TheHunter-Master wrote:There have been years i wanted to post something like this :
All these years i watched and participated in lots of competitions checking other competitors,so i would like to share my thoughts with you and them.There are about 10-20 players (dont want to mention their names)who keep joining in the same competitions over and over again.... and again.OK, i know you found the way so you can win every time ,Bravo,Bravo,but now back off for a while. Let someone else win the trophy , i see same players tryharding to get the 1st position, you see them too , just let them get it,your whole world will fall apart if you dont join that competition and let sme else get it,its so important,really?
What I see here is your frustration speaking out. Years worth, as you mentioned. Even though I'm a casual EW comp player, I can understand your frustration. Do you know this other saying, "Hate the game, not the player"? I think that the main issue is that some of the comp(s) can/do lend themselves to certain tactics/game mechanics which can be more easily repeated than others, and those will always certainly be learned and taken advantage of. That's just human nature, and I'm not implying any kind of exploitation/dirty play whatsoever. I'm also not telling you to hate the game tHC. I'm telling you that with the way the game and the comps have been created, this is simply what is. With that being said, I think that if you had taken a warmer approach rather than seeming to be in attack mode here, the general response may have been warmer in return.
TheHunter-Master wrote: Here's come the respect part.Ok you won that competition multiple times ,may its time to back off showing respect to others.I remember once i was doing the same in bunny mayhem competition noone could beat me it was too easy i did it 3 times in a raw but i felt bad then i realised that i should stop and let sme else get first place even with low score.Ofc how can i expect others to think like me,but really guys you will not die if you dont participate in that competition for once or twice.
Now, many of you will say ''if they want to win just try harder to beat him etc.'' other will say '' that why its called competition'' comparing this to real life, some other would say '' they like competitions instead of chasin the HS or normal hunting''. I respect all opinions but still thats not an excuse.Its all about respect,i really hope some of them read this post and really make them think ''may i back off for a while?'' ''may i am being too greedy?''.
I really hope one day EW will change the competition system so when i join a competition and make top 3 i could not join again in the same competition for 3 rounds.
Just to make it clear im not posting this being jealous of other players. No, even if i dont like competitions i won few of them,almost every one i participated i won it, as i said it has been years since i wanted to post something like this and after what i saw last three days forced me to do so.With all the respect i just share my thoughts everyone has his own opinion.Thank you for your time.
Since English is not your first language, I think "compassion" or "benevolence" would be a more fitting word than "respect", and may have also led to the general response. I see what you're saying here. When you mastered a comp you felt that continuing to repeat it time and time again would be taking advantage of the comp and therefore you graciously left the field of play. That's a rare and notable act and I applaud it, and it's not unfair to ask the community to at least ponder upon the notion, but again it's all about how you approach a subject as "touchy" as this.

As far as any other kind of "solution" or means to an end.. There are any number of ways to make the comps better in general/reduce repeatability, but I wouldn't predict anything being changed anytime soon. I think all anyone can do is choose their battles wisely, learn up on the best methods, and try their very best. Happy hunting. :)
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

One of the greatest lessons I have learned in life is "If what I do does not work, I change what I do".

We tend to just try harder and harder doing the very same thing. That might improve our situation by a few percent, but will never give us a great step forward. Sometimes I force myself to stop doing what I have told myself would be the right thing to do, and just do something different, as silly as it may be. That applies to situations in life just as much as to situations in theHunter. There has to be a good balance between leveraging what you know that works, and re-inventing yourselves. I can tell you from experience that if you start embracing this idea, many times you will be very glad to have chosen a new path and tried something new. This by the way also keeps the game fresh for you.

Hog and bear comps are won mostly over feeders like it was mentioned already. Other comps are by no means "100% luck". Game experience, tracking skill levels, general gaming dexterity, perseverance, knowledge of good spots, these are many factors that will help you do well. More factors could be listed. As in any other competitive situation, there will be the same names again and again on the top ranks. These are the gals and guys that keep improving. They are competitive by nature, always hungry.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
calamar2000
Hunter

Post by calamar2000 »

HooCairs wrote:One of the greatest lessons I have learned in life is "If what I do does not work, I change what I do".

We tend to just try harder and harder doing the very same thing. That might improve our situation by a few percent, but will never give us a great step forward. Sometimes I force myself to stop doing what I have told myself would be the right thing to do, and just do something different, as silly as it may be. That applies to situations in life just as much as to situations in theHunter. There has to be a good balance between leveraging what you know that works, and re-inventing yourselves. I can tell you from experience that if you start embracing this idea, many times you will be very glad to have chosen a new path and tried something new. This by the way also keeps the game fresh for you.

Hog and bear comps are won mostly over feeders like it was mentioned already. Other comps are by no means "100% luck". Game experience, tracking skill levels, general gaming dexterity, perseverance, knowledge of good spots, these are many factors that will help you do well. More factors could be listed. As in any other competitive situation, there will be the same names again and again on the top ranks. These are the gals and guys that keep improving. They are competitive by nature, always hungry.
So fair and true, that's exactly my thought. ;)
Forgiveness for my english...

"Aggressiveness is not on the side of the hunters." - (Leon Mazzella, 1890)

Return to “General Chat”