Competitions and respect

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Andhii
Scout

Re: Competitions and respect

Post by Andhii »

I'v never won the lottery but I'v tried so many times, can we all just be gents and agree that I should be allowed to win big this week? Nobody else participate pls!
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

Now, if you are referring to me, you are becoming offensive, i believe that your ethical vision, as you gratify to define it, is only a distorted vision and i repeat it without any sense, so I do not allow you to say that i am unethical, you are passing the sign with your statements and i point out that you are nobody to judge the ethics of the other players so i think it is appropriate that either you stop pontificating or that the topic is closed here. (I thank in advance the moderator who wanted to intervene).
TheHunter-Master
Spotter

Post by TheHunter-Master »

no i dont to be offensive. Its my fault i may dont use english languge properly ending up giving another meaning in what i want to say. i apologize
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I believe it would be "unethical" to abstain for the express purposes of "letting someone else win". This isn't a buffet, where we all have to share. It's a competition.
And the human spirit of competition is what drives those with the ambition to win to improve themselves & excel.

Do you think Jack Nicklaus ever "laid down" and let Arnold Palmer win? Not a chance!! And can you imagine how devastated Arnie would have been if he found out?
In many sports & games, "throwing the match" is an egregious offence, considered cheating, and in some cases criminal.

Your friend's options are to work harder to win, or accept defeat gracefully.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
lmp1986

Post by lmp1986 »

A lot of competitions are split into three groups (0 - 50 animals harvested, 50 - 500 animals harvested, 500+ animals harvested). Those are the competitions for newbies and people who don't have the desire to compete with the most hardcore players out there. Nobody can win over and over in the 0-50 animals bucket. He'll be out of that bucket after a few attempts at most.

I've been playing the game a looong time but I'm not a very competitive person and I've only won a few comps fairly recently. I try to stay away from the most crowded/popular ones, I don't do the long range comps and the total weight comps, and I can win a prize every now and then. OTOH if I knew I won only because somebody let me... I'd feel no pride at all.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

When i join a competition and it just my personal opinion, i want to know where is stand among the others, if i win great, if don't, well, so will be, but its cool when i see another well known member in the same competition and i want to know if i can surpass him/her. But something is clear as water, nobody get respect(including me) if only win because the better ones let him win on purpose, that is more like condescending and instead than respect bring pity, better is be top ten by own merits that first by pity of the ones that are better than me. that's how i see it at least.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
MudBug
Outfitter

Post by MudBug »

Nope. I play the competitions that I like and while I don't always win, I do manage to perform well and win/place on frequent occasions. I do not desire, nor would I ever want, someone to "throw the game" so I can win. I don't expect anyone to do so. There are some competitions that I know I'm unlikely to win, because they are other player's favorites. I still give them a try.

As someone stated before, there are levels for players of each skill level. A new player doesn't have to compete against a veteran.

As far as that other player's responses to your "friend", it was deplorable and definitely the work of an immature individual.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

There's been a couple comps I liked, they were long range ones. I remember once getting a 2nd or 3rd place to ghostwind. That was as good as a win and was very proud of it. When you can hang with that guy in LR comp? You've hung with the best there's ever been.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

A competition is kinda supposed to be Competitive.

The winners of comps cant make sure it happens 100%. Its about luck, and you will have a higher chance of winning if you have the right equipment.

If you want to win, then buy em$ and get your setup in order. i'll guarantee 95% of the bear and pig comps are won over a feeder, someone who doesn't spend money on the feeders isn't going to win unless they randomly run into a huge animal.

Now as i was saying with the hog/boar comp i compete in.
I have 2 feeders that get filled for the comp. My boar feeder is in the same spot as a ton of other people.
So now it comes down to pure luck, between player and player who have feeders in the same spot. Anyone can win.

If this competition has, say, 15 people. 10 of which are running feeder setups and the other 5 don't want to spend the money, so they decided to just go around the map and find the pigs,
Who is going to win?

There is a good chance its one of the 10 people with feeders.
Now say the winner is one of those guys who have got gold for the last 4 times this event was hosted.
Next comp rolls around and we have the same numbers as before ( 15 people. 10 of which are running feeder setups and the other 5 don't want to spend the money, so they decided to just go around the map and find the pigs)

But this time, that guy who won every comp for the last 5 times, backed off and doesn't join.
Is the winner going to be one of the 5 people without feeders this time? there is a good chance it wont be, because this comp the winner would probably be another one of the 10 hunters using feeders. There is a low chance its one of the guys who don't wanna spend the money of a feeder setup.

And as for the other species like deer that cant be baited, that is 100% luck. There is no spot that has a 192 Whitetail hunt after hunt. U just need to find areas with a lot of whitetails and hunt there.
Nathan22Outdoors
TheHunter-Master
Spotter

Post by TheHunter-Master »

the whole think ended up with most of you misunderstood of what my exact point was. I may not being clear enough at the first place. I didnt said players back off on purpose to let others win either how other players feel if they win an easy trophy , who cares at all about what they think and how they feel.You all made it up,i never said that.For example,giving a chance to another player win the trophy dont mean that he dont deserve it, even with lower score achievement he invested time and efford.IMO 1st place win feels the same no matter what.

Return to “General Chat”