Competitions and respect

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Competitions and respect

Post by caledonianblues »

TheHunter-Master wrote:I didnt said players back off on purpose to let others win either how other players feel if they win an easy trophy , who cares at all about what they think and how they feel.You all made it up,i never said that.For example,giving a chance to another player win the trophy dont mean that he dont deserve it, even with lower score achievement he invested time and efford.IMO 1st place win feels the same no matter what.
So what, they should accidentally back off? :lol:

How does one do that? Are you suggesting they should "throw the match", but make it look convincing enough so as not to make the final winner feel like he or she was handed it on a silver platter? If so, then that's an even less realistic expectation.

What you're essentially suggesting here is a paradigm shift in human nature. People compete to win, not to make others feel good. Someone earlier touched on the concept of a participation prize, so more people get to feel good even if they didn't win. The psychology behind that simply weakens us as a species. If you want to be the best at something you need to work hard for it, and that means investment of time, and sometimes money. The journey might suck at times, but when you reach the goal and finally win, the reward will be far more satisfying. Don't expect humans to stop being humans, it's a pointless endeavour.
TheHunter-Master
Spotter

Post by TheHunter-Master »

Oh man you took it on another level :D . Its just some random simple competitions in the hunter ,thats all. I see that as a fairplay(even though fairplay term may be debated) , my point of view at least. ''Accidentally '' yeah :lol: :lol:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Fair play is winning because you deserved to win though. Fair play is not putting in less effort so someone else can win.
dj.p.king
Scout

Post by dj.p.king »

In the 2.5 years i have played this game, my first 5 months was spent just shooting at everything not once did i enter any of theHunter comps,
my first comp i entered in was the 3 with the .300 back in August 2016 i was lucky enough to finish that first comp in 2nd place, i re-entered
the same comp 2 weeks later to again finish in 2nd place, this was my last time i was to make the top 3 in any of the comps i entered till March
this year, i have earned 11 trophies in comps now and all of these i am happy with, as i have studied my hunting grounds well, found as much info
and paid for the right equipment but i know that this does not guarantee me a top 3 finish it just helps, at the end of the day we still need that
bit of LUCK when Hunting weather it's in real life or virtual.
p.s that name you are using here doesn't exist in the game :lol: hiding behind a fake name :roll:
Season 26

1 Range record Season 23 - Dall 583.110 m, 1 Range record Season 25 - Dall 601.410 m
PB range, Xbow 230.230, Bow 471.180, Rifle 601.410
Game play 2700+ hours/hunter score 19000+ http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/stats.php?username=djpking
TheHunter-Master
Spotter

I ll give simple example, messi who's the goat at the moment tends to assist other players instead of just score a goal by himself although he compete for the golden foot at the end of the season and that makes him so special.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

TheHunter-Master wrote:I ll give simple example, messi who's the goat at the moment tends to assist other players instead of just score a goal by himself although he compete for the golden foot at the end of the season and that makes him so special.
And that's admirable. But that's his choice. You can't expect everyone to be like that.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Tod1d wrote:I believe it would be "unethical" to abstain for the express purposes of "letting someone else win". This isn't a buffet, where we all have to share. It's a competition.
And the human spirit of competition is what drives those with the ambition to win to improve themselves & excel.

Do you think Jack Nicklaus ever "laid down" and let Arnold Palmer win? Not a chance!! And can you imagine how devastated Arnie would have been if he found out?
In many sports & games, "throwing the match" is an egregious offence, considered cheating, and in some cases criminal.

Your friend's options are to work harder to win, or accept defeat gracefully.
Very good post, Tod. :!:

However, I don't think there are any ethics associated with joining, or abstaining, for any reason. I choose not to compete because I don't know who I'm competing against. That's my personal emotional reaction to this game in particular because of how I feel about hunting IRL, and nothing more. There is nothing moral or immoral about my decision, I just don't enjoy competing against people I don't know. It doesn't appeal to me.

The human spirit has many facets, and competing against one another is only one aspect. I truly admire players who have demonstrated they can consistently produce results, but I don't envy them. I prefer to compete against myself within my own personal goals; I never give up against myself, ever. But against someone or something I can't quite perceive as real, well, even victories can be a little hollow.

Jack knew who he was competing against, always, but who's to say, maybe he was competing against himself as much as anyone else? It's a personal choice each of us makes, or chooses not to make. You're right though, no one should ever join and then purposefully "lay down." That's a very good point. And it was out of bounds when I added the "greed ruins everything" comment to my earlier post. I should have thought twice before I submitted that. I was being judgmental, plain and simple. My bad.
TheHunter-Master
Spotter

caledonianblues wrote:
TheHunter-Master wrote:I ll give simple example, messi who's the goat at the moment tends to assist other players instead of just score a goal by himself although he compete for the golden foot at the end of the season and that makes him so special.
And that's admirable. But that's his choice. You can't expect everyone to be like that.
Thats right.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

Where is the respect for the players that have invested the time, money and effort that makes it possible for them to win often?
Why compete at all if not to win.
When you take the luck (big part of it) out of the competition, everyone has the same advantage based on their knowledge, time and effort put in.
If someone wants to win, just do more than the current leaders, and get a little lucky.

Quote TheHunter-Master "I ll give simple example, messi who's the goat at the moment tends to assist other players instead of just score a goal by himself although he compete for the golden foot at the end of the season and that makes him so special"
That is called playing as a team, and has nothing to do with this at all since this is singles competition.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

that's a team sport, and helping your teammates is a crucial part of the game. He also couldn't score if his teammates didn't assist him.
Does he assist players from the other team? Does he sit out of the game just to let his other teammates have more glory?

I used golf as an analogy because it's an individual sport and compares better to theHunter competitions.

We have several hotshots who frequently help other players learn how to compete at the top levels. They don't however, back off from a competition just so other players have a chance at winning.
If anything, they do it to help others, and to create more formidable opponents. If the new opponent wins because they deserve it, then that's great.

Jimbo, my comments were directed at TheHunter-Master. Forgive me if I didn't specify that.
Your reasons for how & when you compete are yours, they're personal, and there is nothing wrong with that. If you made the conscious decision to take a break from a comp to let others win, that would be totally fine too. But I think someone asking you to back off & let others win is really unreasonable & wrong.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “General Chat”