Does heavy rain and fog affect animals ability to detect the player?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Does heavy rain and fog affect animals ability to detect the player?

Post by gas56 »

#1. This is a funny question,... because I asked the same thing when I joined theHunter about if rain effects animal senses,..
And I remember the answer as being yes it does,... but I never noticed it at all trying to sneak upon coyotes being a newbie then...........which was hard for me to believe it does hardly
anything at all unless it is such a very minimal amount that you don't notice much of the effect.
IRL heavy rain does effect eyesight and hearing and smelling which you can notice extremely well when trying to getting close to animals,...
but animals are very wary and notice even the slightest effect from those senses,.. especially movement, and sound, and smelling not so much if your downwind of the animal, when
the wind is swirling very hard it is harder for animals to pick up where sounds are coming from as is with the hunters senses also are less acute.
If it's just a light drizzle of rain in the game don't expect to run around the woods and not get unnoticed, although some animals don't even notice you in the game and walking within close
range or even bumping into them when it's a clear day, try that IRL.......... :lol:
IMO,.. for the most part the animals in the game will notice you even if it is raining or snowing, especially the trophy animals if you aren't deliberate with your movement and
noise and your wind scent as just like any clear day hunting.

#2. The only effect fog has on anything in the game is the players clear view,... which should effect the animals view as well but it doesn't have any effect whatsoever on them.
Dazakiwi34

Post by Dazakiwi34 »

Thanks guys for your replies.
HooCairs wrote:The last official statement I can remember is from 2012. The question was "Does rain mask my walking sounds?" and the response was
Björn Öjlert wrote:It does to some extent but you'll still have to be careful, especially when stalking high scoring animals.
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... in#p364095

But since then, many, many things have changed, a lot of features were lost and never restored. If anyone has a later official statement please post. :)

Fog has no effect whatsoever. At low settings you don't see the same fog than with high settings, anyway.
What features were lost and never restored that you can recall?

I hope perhaps this can get addressed by the devs at some point, i mean if those features are still buried in the code perhaps they can be resurfaced since its there already unless there were good reasons they were removed?
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Dazakiwi34 wrote:Thanks guys for your replies.
HooCairs wrote:The last official statement I can remember is from 2012. The question was "Does rain mask my walking sounds?" and the response was
Björn Öjlert wrote:It does to some extent but you'll still have to be careful, especially when stalking high scoring animals.
https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... in#p364095

But since then, many, many things have changed, a lot of features were lost and never restored. If anyone has a later official statement please post. :)

Fog has no effect whatsoever. At low settings you don't see the same fog than with high settings, anyway.
What features were lost and never restored that you can recall?

I hope perhaps this can get addressed by the devs at some point, i mean if those features are still buried in the code perhaps they can be resurfaced since its there already unless there were good reasons they were removed?
It wasn't done intentionally when the code was written for newer features that effected older code features........... it happens with a lot of updates
and some stuff takes years to get fixed if it gets fixed at all by it's low priority............. ;)
I wouldn't really worry about this too much,... as it was very minimal at the least to have much of an effect on the animals with the rain, maybe a 7% effect if it was even that much.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

I'm just an old grumpy guy, but here is my experience with rain. I have crawled to with 7-10 meters of a standing coyote, more than once in the rain. I have crawled to within 10 meters of an easily spooked turkey, more than once in the rain. I have crawled to within 7 meters of an Alpine Ibex, more than once in the rain. I have crawled to within 10 meters of both Black and Brown Bears,more than once in the rain. Many others as well that are not as jittery.

Based on those experiences, I would say the rain definitely has an effect on the animal's ability to sense movement, and it's sense of smell. You can't run to it, or crouch walk to it, but it can be done.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

stancomputerhunter wrote:I'm just an old grumpy guy, but here is my experience with rain. I have crawled to with 7-10 meters of a standing coyote, more than once in the rain. I have crawled to within 10 meters of an easily spooked turkey, more than once in the rain. I have crawled to within 7 meters of an Alpine Ibex, more than once in the rain. I have crawled to within 10 meters of both Black and Brown Bears,more than once in the rain. Many others as well that are not as jittery.

Based on those experiences, I would say the rain definitely has an effect on the animal's ability to sense movement, and it's sense of smell. You can't run to it, or crouch walk to it, but it can be done.
I also believe it makes a difference. I've hunted quite a bit in the rain on Piccabeen, and had better stalking success in the rain than in the sunshine. In fact, one time, I was crouched between two big tree roots when a nice Sambar buck appeared out of the rain beside me, facing the same direction, and just as he did it stopped raining. He was right beside me about 10 meters away and I didn't even hear him coming. I didn't move, but suddenly he turned, looked at me and bolted, all at once in one quick movement. I had no time to react even if I wanted to. It doesn't happen like that when it's not raining, so yeah, I think it makes a difference, for both the hunter and the hunted.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I have no trouble getting close to animals in clear weather, and a lot of times waiting for the animal I'm after I have herds of deer types head straight towards me and I crawl out of their way within mere meters without spooking them a lot of times. I always watch the wind, and use scent eliminator (which sometimes I don't think is worth using but still do) and some animals will bolt when I'm doing nothing from 30-50 meters away and others will walk right by me and never notice me. But in this game some animals will flee with me just sitting there downwind of them. All I can say this game is not full-proof on the way the animals react in the game towards detection of the player during rain or clear weather using their senses.

Last year on a clear day during gun hunting season in N.E. Ohio, I walked within to feet of a Big Whitetail buck that was bedded in a brush field than it jumped up and ran away and I took a potshot at it with my .357 and missed as it surprised the hell out of me and I still couldn't believe I still had the stealth to do that and if I hadn't got that close to it I probably would've walked right by it and never had known it was there at all. That deer was the first buck I jumped during gun season which to tell the truth I watched it run a ways before I even got my .357 up and got my reactions going...........I am a lot older now and not as nimble or quick......... :lol:
The thing of it is I would never be crawling on the ground IRL where that buck was because it was so brushy, swampy and wet,.. So this game doesn't compare to the animal reactions of IRL IMO,... and would have a long ways to go to be even believable, because I don't think I could crawl around on the ground avoiding animal herds if they walked by me like I can in the game.

https://www.thehunter.com/#competitions ... eaderboard

Return to “General Chat”