More noob questions...

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
RedWolf
Spotter

Re: More noob questions...

Post by RedWolf »

VonStratos wrote:They work in the treestand, but is advisable to not lure them right at you, but around 25 meters from your TS, this is to have a good shot and minimize the chances of getting detected, animals can see/smell you in the TS
VonStratos talks about animals smelling and seeing the hunter, so he's clearly talking about the risk of spooking the animals when you allow them to get too close, he's not talking about the risk of spooking animals when you shoot them (sound). That's why I said that the risk of spooking deer in a treestand (with smell or sight) is rather small.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

RedWolf wrote:
gas56 wrote:How many of those deer did you shoot? I'm just curious with the answer you gave.
Why is that relevant?
VonStratos wrote:
They work in the treestand, but is advisable to not lure them right at you, but around 25 meters from your TS, this is to have a good shot and minimize the chances of getting detected
Because you made a statement without saying anything about the chances of getting detected after shooting them, and this was part of VonStratos' advise. I have also shot animals that come to the stand but only when they come in one at a time and there is enough time and distance between them to not to get detected shooting them with a bow. I was curious if that is what you were doing?
Last edited by gas56 on October 21st, 2018, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

Yeah, they do seem to spook when they are side by each comin' in. I usually try and shoot pins into them as they approach- that way they don't seem to scatter as easily. I think it also depends on the bow being used and how loud or silent the bow is, sometimes you get lucky and other times they scatter at the first arrow set to flight. ;) Peace.

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Yeah i was talking about when they approach or walk below the treestand or like i said some 25meters away(personal preference) and with the right equipment the chance of spook is very low, but still real, now if we enter into what happens one a shot is made, well that's apples from another tree, with PP i have shot turkey and deer without spook other animals in the spot, but of course only if the animal die in the instant, if not he will spook others in the area, even if run just a couple of meters before die.

A pro to have animals right below you is the chance to instant kill one with the PP while others approach.
A pro to have animals at certain distance is to have better visual(the tree or branches wont block you) and so you can pick the biggest scoring of the group.

So is a matter of what are you trying to get, if i lure a group of male Elks i want only the biggest scoring, once i shoot i don't care if the others flee. if i am after killing lots of yotes or turkeys then it doesn't matter, as long i can kill them silently.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “General Chat”