What do you LOVE about TheHunter Classic?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
INSANEPAPPY60
Outfitter

Re: What do you LOVE about TheHunter Classic?

Post by INSANEPAPPY60 »

I must be hunting in the wrong area
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

I'll never forget my initial hunts when I found this game. Later on I found the forum - for me? it's the people that make this game what it is for me. I've made friends here I will always call friends. I'm of the opinion The most interesting and valuable things you will ever involve yourself with in life will revolve around the people you meet.
THC was the first time I'd ever been anything considered a "gamer" I still don't think of myself as such but this game, this forum, they are something special and it's made the world a smaller place.

The game is full of variety, challenges and mystery and as others have mentioned, you just never know what's around the next tree.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

basically caught off guard and seeing a massive trophy animal.knowing its big or massive (after seeing that 110 whitetail 100 times already) and knowing i need to be on my game or i will mess it up. it will be gone maybe never getting one chance as big as that again ! no hand holding just make a play and dont be wrong or its gone ! its your decision and skill to bring home the reward.

too many games get this wrong. reward for the sake of reward when many people want the thrill the fight of the chase.the feel of actual hunting. you dont need a 200 whitetail every hunt you need one every 2000 hunts or more.thats what keeps you hunting ! ;)
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

What do you LOVE about TheHunter Classic?

Stalking red deer in the wooded areas of Hirschfeldon.

Youve tracked a big weight stag for 20 min or more and he is finally down to 6 to 20 min ahead. He calls.
You look around for a clear area to ambush him and you call back.
You back off downwind from your call spot and go prone. Visibility not more than 25 yards, you wait.
You hear footsteps .. out to your rear .. damn... a heat seeking female missile ... what to do ? She is going to walk right over you.
Where is the stag, have you time to take her out with the 10 point? ..then you see huge antlers through a gap in the trees .. 40 m out, no body, no clear shot..... the hind is less than 20 m away, footprints on your back any second now .....

Its entirely up to you and the next decision you make that will decide the outcome.
Well not every hunt is the same, and not every story ends the same, so you have to guess how this one will end.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
Pretty_Boy
Outfitter

Post by Pretty_Boy »

ronMctube wrote:...you dont need a 200 whitetail every hunt you need one every 2000 hunts or more.thats what keeps you hunting ! ;)
Exactly! This I will keep mind, this is exactly what I want to hear. This motivate me to be more patient, and to still keep looking after that 10 point hot, but for me until now, "non-existing" lady in bed. I know she is out there somewhere, just need to look in the right bed, but typically, I'm waking up facing that 300 moose of a kind. So if what you say Ron is really true, I need only one every 2000, then I need to do some changes quickly, stop running around and double my patient. I'm literally going to sit and wait until I'm getting old and gray. But I guess, If you are right and I'm getting lucky, I may end up facing a 150 moose of a kind instead... Me and luck are just very rare, so my doubts are sky high, have a good one Ron. ;)

Happy Hunting :)

Mountaineer
Hunter

Post by Mountaineer »

INSANEPAPPY60 wrote:Where do you see a blacktail 180 to 200...…..The biggest I always see is the same 165..been this way for ever.
Whitehart, Got a 194 there yesterday. I see a 180 - 200 there every couple months or so. I have actually shot way more 190s than 170s because of the way the scoring works. When you see a 180-200 it is almost always 190 + because 180s are very rare. I don't think I have ever shot any 180s and only 2 170s.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
INSANEPAPPY60
Outfitter

Post by INSANEPAPPY60 »

Mountaineer wrote:
INSANEPAPPY60 wrote:Where do you see a blacktail 180 to 200...…..The biggest I always see is the same 165..been this way for ever.
Whitehart, Got a 194 there yesterday. I see a 180 - 200 there every couple months or so. I have actually shot way more 190s than 170s because of the way the scoring works. When you see a 180-200 it is almost always 190 + because 180s are very rare. I don't think I have ever shot any 180s and only 2 170s.

Congrats on that Mountaineer(WOW) I have 8 tents on Whitehart mainly around the lake area and never see a 190.....What area do you hunt if I may ask?
Mountaineer
Hunter

Post by Mountaineer »

Almost exclusivly around the lake area. If you want to see exactly were any animal is killed it will tell you on the score sheet if you click on map. So if you want to find out were some of the higher scoring animals are coming from,look at the comps and see if you can find the animal in the leaders stats, click on the score and that will bring up the score sheet for it and were and when it was killed.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/moun ... /628184131

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

For me, the "gambler's high" is part of it, as with most people hunting/fishing IRL or in-game. I think we all know that random rewards are a hell of a lot more psychologically addictive than consistent ones.

But more than that--first, the beautiful environments. Even with a slightly dated engine, the maps are still beautiful, and very peaceful to roam. I've referred to it before as my "zen-like" state, moreso with a dog by my side: just calm, relaxing and very pretty. Being able to wander about "in nature" when I just don't have the time, or energy, IRL, is wonderful. Those mountains, that sunset, thick mist, this rainstorm... all great stuff. Little things, too--the crack of a particular rifle, or the satisfaction of a bow hit at close range--just the overall experience is rewarding in and of itself.

Then, of course, there's the trophies. Yeah, it's partly the gambling thing, but those really big racks are just genuinely beautiful to see. The feeling of both satisfaction and triumph when you finally get one down is fantastic. Going back and seeing it in the lodge later is something to bring a smile to my face. The stories behind some of them--the ones you really remember--are also really pleasing, to me.

Lastly, the behavior of the deer, and "outsmarting" them. Now, the in-game animals' AI isn't great, and they aren't that bright. We all know there's room for improvement--I'd love to see more complex behavior, my #1 wish. That's partly because I derive so much enjoyment from trying to predict and outwit the actions of another, be it a player in a PvP match or a deer in theHunter. DanthemanBoone describes a great scenario--and part of the reason that the deer don't need to be hyper-intelligent to give this satisfaction. It's because, for me, it's not about challenging the actual "opponent"--the deer--but myself. I want to see how well I can adapt, and react, and come out on top. When you manage to see that hind coming in time, and make a call and then scoot in a lay-down position twenty yards left, so that you hit that stag as he comes in while she's rooting around just FEET away from where she'd spook, and it comes together and you pull that off and get him down--that's a great feeling. I guess it's some kind of primal "I succeeded at hunting a thing" somewhat bloodlust-esque joy, in the end--just a hunger for the hunt--but I really like it.
INSANEPAPPY60
Outfitter

Post by INSANEPAPPY60 »

Mountaineer wrote:Almost exclusivly around the lake area. If you want to see exactly were any animal is killed it will tell you on the score sheet if you click on map. So if you want to find out were some of the higher scoring animals are coming from,look at the comps and see if you can find the animal in the leaders stats, click on the score and that will bring up the score sheet for it and were and when it was killed.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/moun ... /628184131

Thanks Don for the tip will have to check that out ;) ...Congrats on the big Blacktails and continued success in all your hunts.have a good one!

Return to “General Chat”