Your thoughts on the game direction

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
gas56
Outfitter

Your thoughts on the game direction

Post by gas56 »

When I 1st started playing the Hunter most animals were attainable and could be found and harvested with a bit of searching
and you could reach a max limit of 500 individual animal types (besides Waterfowl) to satisfy the game requirement.
Well things have changed since then and as we all know 1000 individual animal types (besides Waterfowl) are now the requirement.
Here comes the main question with what has to do with all of this?
Should animals be made to take them a lot harder then as before as with the Lynx & Bobcat now are?
I mean taking a 1000 Lynx & a 1000 Bobcat will be quite a long endeavor to say the least and should they be made to be
so rare and spooky where only a couple to a few are taken on one hunt?
I thought this was a game and was supposed to remain fun while being able to harvest animals at a relative search and see animals that you can't mostly do IRL.
IMO if Whitetail deer can be found and taken or harvesting them at a relative search then why not all animals also set this way?
How many animals could you really harvest if they are set to real life standards in a day?
I think most of us know this answer,... but the question is related to the game, as that is what matters the most of what we get out of it.
Is the new way of the harder harvesting new animals like the Lynx and Bobcat and taking less animals satisfying to the overall majority of players?
And do we take many years to fill the limits of a new devise for the game?
What seems to be a good idea on paper just doesn't prove to be of real substance for the game to overall enjoyment of the way it was.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Your thoughts on the game direction

Post by SoftShoe »

Is this a bucket list kinda thing to you?

IMO Classic isnt a game designed to be "finished". Moreover when you do "finish" (1000 harvests) its not like anything is even finished. The next hunt they are still out there wait for you. Classic is about the journey, not the destination. It boils down to. What difference does it make?

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I think that mixing it up is good. You can have a lot of action when shooting waterfowl or hunting moose and bison on WRR, but not every animal needs to be easy. Not every animal needs to have callers, scents or feeders. Yes, it's a game, but that doesn't mean it should cater to the completionists and those who like it easy only. So if no player will ever reach 1000 lynx, so be it - there are over 40 species now! (Though we all know that some players will eventually reach 1000 bobcats and lynx ;) )
Image Image Image
Grizdude
Trophy Hunter

Post by Grizdude »

I like the fact that the Bobcat and the Lynx are hard to hunt. I look forward to some very challenging competitions, whenever
they do come out. I personally care less about the 1000 animal achievement... but to each his own. I agree with SoftShoe
"Classic is about the journey, not the destination." 8-)
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

I too think the top HS should be nearly a mythical target. Back when Hoocairs & Francis & only a few others were battling for the top spot it made the game exciting.
I, for one, would have liked to see the bobcat & lynx be much more rare & elusive.
I'll never reach the max HS, nor do I aspire to. Yet, despite that fact I still enjoy the game. ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
MaxVe
Scout

Post by MaxVe »

Each of us i believe has their own preferences, mine is that i do not enjoy wandering two hours of real time without any result and in fact i only have 57 bobcats in my statistics and zero Linx note that all these killings were by chance accidentally, i do not even think about starting a specific hunting trip to these animals because boredom could kill me, but this is my personal thought and taste and it is not important for everyone. The interesting thing, in many ways not least that related to the purchase of equipment and dedicated items and the level of liking of users towards these animals, is to understand the majority of what they like in a game. I have an idea about this but i have no certain data of course, if i have to reach a conclusion based on the few elements that i can read i think there are very few who have decided to practice hiking to Hemmendal, however, if someone is happy so it's okay for everyone...
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I would also like to add this as onto your replys:
The game does have objectives to go by and completing them is a goal worth finishing if that is your preference in the game.
There are different animal/birds skins/rares to be found, collectibles, and amounts.
Not everyone goes for these objectives or makes it their goal, but none the less these objectives do have a set number thus making for relative game searching the different types.
If they were not there then there would be no need of setting a goal for the objectives in the game, but obviously the game makers have thought otherwise
to make such set numbers,.. which is still part in the game.
I was actually getting someplace in accomplishing the animal 500 objective before it abruptly changed to the animal 1000 objective, and to take a look back at the reason why it had
changed so abruptly ATT is because long time players who had this 500 objective completed ran out of a goal to complete, they needed more with the continuous
ongoing game style to have a good reason to keep playing so the numbers were made higher,..
Not every player is here to admire the scenery in the game and enjoy just shooting 1 or 2 animals in a hunt even though this can be part of the immersion while playing,..
Players set different goals in the game for themselves to achieve where they want to go or how far to accomplish things where they get the most enjoyment,
but changing the gameplay in higher animal difficulty is truly what this game was not about.
As I stated in my 1st post that if that was the case then all animals should be harder to find as it makes setting goals unequal when this spectrum is changed to just a few.
Who IRL is going to shoot 20-30 animals or 60-100 birds in a day? Who? This is a game, and still is a game, with objectives.
It is not like anybody can go shoot 20 whitetail deer in a day in the wilds and where are Whitetail deer so easily harvested?
I can understand players that have not been in the game for very long to not understand where I am coming from but that is why I put this on the forum even though
the Forum members are only a small voice in the entire theHunter game community but a chance to hopefully share every ones thoughts that can reply with an
answer, whether they play in comps, missions, or just hunting animals.

There is no animal/bird presented (not counting Waterfowl & Reindeer as they can migrate off the map) in this game that is not harvestable under normal circumstances of a good internet connection unless you run out of hunting time, but what degree of hardness/difficulty should they be changed to set an objective amount so high for players who already had a goal set when it is completely changed from what hardness/difficulty it was?
Last edited by gas56 on October 17th, 2018, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Tod1d wrote:I too think the top HS should be nearly a mythical target.
Since the Lynx it is. ;)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Mountaineer
Hunter

Post by Mountaineer »

Once Whiterime, Australia, and TGT were released and and all those new animals, then the ptarmigan spread, then PB and more new animals I've given up on "maxing out" on every animal. So I am OK with some being rarer or harder to hunt,but I can see how if one wanted to get all of everything, the game is stacked against being able to do that unless you invest massive amounts of time.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
vsaet
Hunter

Post by vsaet »

The all thing is that the game is based on quantity and no on quality to have a good place in the hunter score and the rank. Starting from that many players kills animals in all ways to reach the hunter score and I think for that the number was increased.
Like you said is a game but every one of us can play the way he likes. For me is better to have 3 or 4 good animals in one hunt even 0 and I make no attention to the rank or the score I have. I play like IRL . For that reason I stopped competitions in the classic and play only in Antler Creek Lodge tournament that differs for the Classic competitions and is in weekly basis and there are combination of males-females and weight .
At the end every player can play the game like he feel is better for him.

Return to “General Chat”