Could someone be nice enough to give me an update?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Jing000
Tracker

Could someone be nice enough to give me an update?

Post by Jing000 »

Been off this game for about two years and unable to invest the time in it, but life has calmed down some and I'm looking to get back into it, Trying to gather together all the new stuff that's been added and would appreciate if someone could give me the highlights of the past year or two.

Also welcome would be a recommended buying guide of anything that most of the community currently considers "essentials". (bar ducks, got my decoys)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: Could someone be nice enough to give me an update?

Post by caledonianblues »

You can find the release history here on the wiki. In descending date order, this shows the items or functionality that have been released in the game, so this is probably a good starting point.

As for a buying guide, I would say it's difficult to give an optimal answer without knowing your plans. I would consider a number of items to be essential:
  • callers for the animals you plan to hunt
  • a shotgun, versatile and permitted for many species
  • a bow or other arrow slinger, especially if you plan on doing any stealth hunting
  • tents, which make traversing maps much quicker but bear in mind a vehicle is in the works which might alter their value
Obviously a rifle is nice to have also, but again it largely depends on your hunting style and the animals you want to go after. If you want to hunt big game animals such as bison and water buffalo, then you should consider one of the larger calibre rifles. If you're only going after deer then you can get by with a shotgun, and maybe a .243 rifle.

A bit more information on your hunting plans might allow us to give a more tailored response. Welcome back though ;)
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Here you will find the release list and the changes of the game, just look what have changed since your last time, and if you have a question about some specific change feel free to ask, is a long list:
http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Release_History
There has been new weapons, dogs introduced, but probably the most important change was this year with the extended render range, now depending on your graphic setting you can see further than 300 meters away, and a vehicle is soon to be released.

For duck o geese:
http://thehunter.wikia.com/wiki/Waterfowling
It may be confusing at first, and is not essential but many players got a setup because is fun go into waterfowling.

Now if you need something essential i think nothing of what has been introduced is "essential" you can do fine with the same you had 2 years ago, just look for anything you feel that may improve your style of hunt. ;)

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Jing000
Tracker

Post by Jing000 »

Thank you for the links both of you! I'll read over that tonight (kinda had an idiot moment not just looking for a wiki first...) As for plans, That is sadly. not easy to come up with, I want to do everything, though I will likely start by simply going after my old favorite the Elk. I had the .300 when I last played and I imagine that still packs enough punch for the larger animals added.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Jing000 wrote:I want to do everything, though I will likely start by simply going after my old favorite the Elk. I had the .300 when I last played and I imagine that still packs enough punch for the larger animals added.
With a bow and a shotgun you can in theory go after everything but your style might warrant more flexibility. The .300 is a great rifle. You might consider the new combination rifle, since it's effectively a shotgun and a rifle. It has some drawbacks, chief among those being the weight, and although aesthetically it's not to my liking it seems to be a hit with many. Something to consider. Maybe you could give us an idea of what you're looking to spend and we could give you some options.
Jing000
Tracker

Post by Jing000 »

Not counting my membership fee around $30 right now. as for what I would want to buy. (I'm pouring over the wiki right now) I'm looking for items that will open up area's easier since I do want to branch out as much as possible. Already put the climbing ropes on that list. I do have a tree stand and tent.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Between the new animals there is 2 felines, Bobcat and Lynx, both can be hunted with the good free .243, but you may want consider one of the vermin rifles, or if you plan going after large game as bison or water buffalo, a .340 Wheaterby may be an excellent addition, and work in Elk, Moose, bears and other large game, also is a bolt with 3 shots, so is an improvement to the old good .300, the drawback is that is for large animals only.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."

Return to “General Chat”