Forum Dwindling?

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: Forum Dwindling?

Post by Radamus »

I've refrained from saying a word thus far *amazing in itself* and wanted to see how this went. I like to deviate from what I know will contain conflict, stress and negative vibes. This wasn't as bad as I thought and lots of good stuff and typical to the vast and varied personalities we have that make up this amazing community.
As I've really put some thought into it I can sum a lot of this up with 3 words - only my opinion, and not intended to offend anyone, or slight anyone as changes are part of everyday life just as it is here. End of the day, a lot of what has happened, what hasn't happened and what isn't happening as well as what is happening. I feel the number one contributing factor is "We lost Alena" I don't really think it's more complex than that. She fought for us, she communicated with us, she engaged us and she had absolute respect from all and if they didn't have that, we didn't need them here anyway. Again, not knocking anyone at all, TK has done the best he knows how and had big shoes to fill - but no one could replace her, as no one would ever begin to try- But to me, that's been the difference quite simply.

edit- Something I should add - I came in around the time Alena started- She had no power, not sure of a direction, she battled the forces in charge - she had a challenge - And there was never a shortage of people, even almost 5 years ago that said the game was ending soon- We've seen it as a seasonal topic- "when are the lights going out???" ~ It's no different than the place I work- in the first 2 weeks the guy I worked with said "we won't be here in 2 years" ... that was 14 years ago.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

TreeKiwi wrote:
JimboCrow wrote:this is true, but does that make it a rule?. its never been tried and given the current state and consensus of members whats to loose? knowing where were going might smooth over allot of whats been said in this thread.
I can ask for you all, but I am pretty sure I know what they will say! :D

I mean I put out ONE topic we were thinking about improving. Everyone saw where that went and how constructive it was. Can you imagine what would happen to a whole years worth of roadmap? Everyone would have their own wants and needs (and rightly so) and I do not think it would be a productive thread.
To be fair, that topic had incomplete information, and I think a lot of confusion could have been avoided if the reason for the change (assuming you're talking about the fleeing AI) was included.
At the very least, it would have kept the conversation focused more on the issue at hand. I'm sure there still would have been opposing opinions.

I highly doubt a roadmap will ever be shared. It's not a static list, and changes frequently. As soon as something is published, it becomes an expectation. And then the expectation is made greater by everyone speculating & dreaming about how the feature should work in their ideal world. Then if the feature gets cancelled or doesn't and fails to meet those inflated expectations, nobody is happy.

The roadmap should be greatly influenced by customer feedback, but I think it would be a disaster to share it too soon.

I'd also like to see a little less hype & "teasing" on many of the new features. I think it's a bit too much. In fact, I'd love to see a few things released as complete surprises. I thought the cats would have been perfect for this kind of release. They could have made them as rare as the descriptions in the pre-release status reports suggested, and just added them to the reserves without any fanfare.
People would discover them pretty quickly, and the word would get out, and then no one would have time to wait & speculate & form those inflated expectations.
Of course, I'm not an expert, or even an amateur at marketing. Perhaps the 'hype' method is the best way to generate revenue from a new feature???

As for forum activity, it should & I think does reflect game activity. All the data that's available seems to indicate that participation in the game is subsiding. Given the nature of the business, I think it's just a natural progression. I mean, I don't hear of too many people playing Leisure Suit Larry or King's Quest anymore. Although I doubt we'll see theHunter dying anytime soon. As long as there is enough income to pay the bills & have a little profit left over. I think it will be around for a while.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

sorry dissagree with that radamus.it is more complex than that.the numbers were going down when alena was here.the only difference is that the trend has continued.it has gone up and down up and down whoever has been in charge.thats why you had different people come and go trying to find the right people to keep the boat sailing smoothly.the thing is what many must remember is how well the game is has done. not many games even last aslong as theHunter classic has.10 years on basically the same engine and still a community about is amazing !

the game hasnt gone downhill cause alena has left.remember how many others have contributed to the game just as much and more.yet rarely mentioned.i still think should of got someone who really played in charge.ive not got on sometimes with hoo but i would of probably had him in charge if they could of got somekind of deal worked out.you need someone who knows the game inside out. who knows if changes will affect the player base. someone who understands buisness side of it but is also liked by the community. its great being liked by the community but if you dont know the game you playing or business then you are not the right selection.what good is being liked if the game is losing players ?

how many devs do you see in games they make the game yet dont know how to play the game for eg ? see it all the time. i do like in recent times this has actually been approached better and the streaming side has been built on to promote the game.which is good. devs are joining in and from someone who has suggested things like this since the start of the game its nice seeing it happen just its kinda at the end of classics life. which isnt great for classic but will work out for call of the wild.

as for the game ending its always been ending since the first year its been out ! :lol: the games been through far worse times than now and still fighting on. ;)

this week has been a bit of stinger for the game. im sure with the right thinking moves there is still a bit of life in the ol dog yet. ;)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Tod1d wrote: At the very least, it would have kept the conversation focused more on the issue at hand.

What??? You been here how long?? LOL
Tod1d wrote: In fact, I'd love to see a few things released as complete surprises.
Agreed! I think the hype is overdone as well.
Imagine the clamor to play if the only announcement was the day the update was added that there was a new species somewhere & a modest prize to whoever harvested the 1st one of each gender & variation. Let us earn it & figure it out without expectations. Add some mystery :mrgreen:

Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

SoftShoe wrote:
Tod1d wrote: At the very least, it would have kept the conversation focused more on the issue at hand.

What??? You been here how long?? LOL
It's a struggle, but I try to remain optimistic ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

... We need optimistic people for sure . I'm in the realistic group , based on facts and results more than on hopes and dreams though.

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

DYEUZ wrote:... We need optimistic people for sure . I'm in the realistic group , based on facts and results more than on hopes and dreams though.
Optimist... Pessimist.... Realist...

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Tod1d wrote:To be fair, that topic had incomplete information, and I think a lot of confusion could have been avoided if the reason for the change (assuming you're talking about the fleeing AI) was included.
At the very least, it would have kept the conversation focused more on the issue at hand. I'm sure there still would have been opposing opinions.
Couldn't agree more and I apologized for that, it was something I learnt a lot from!

Return to “General Chat”