WHI has been changed???

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: WHI has been changed???

Post by HooCairs »

Tod1d wrote:we don't have that kind of season in the game, we're stuck in a single season per reserve.
And that's where this idea comes in: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=88416

Still not random but at least different per season selection.

I believe random animal spawn would be bad for many reasons:
- stand setups would be pointless
- we have no scouting & finding phase
- hard to bind casual players
- not only spawn maps would have to be changed (or deleted) but also interest/need maps
- animals could occur in the wrong places, like bighorn sheep in the valley
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Mountaineer
Hunter

Post by Mountaineer »

Radamus wrote:I don't like the idea of changing it - I've got hundreds of pieces of equipment scattered all over that took years to tweak and twist right down to what exact degree the TS faces - I do NOT want to have to do that kind of thing over, and over..... No way.
I agree 100%! I hardly have time to play now, let alone having to move all my equipment every time they decide to move the spawns around.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man."
Ravenousfox
Outfitter

Post by Ravenousfox »

WHI has been changed???
Yes, for the worse.
Devs better change it back as I haven't felt like playing the game since my fav map is now ruined.
I have over 1337 kills with my Longbow at 100% kill rate.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPHtNC ... RQ3X3b0TjQ
My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/rav_fox
J_Birdman
Hunter

Post by J_Birdman »

Radamus wrote:I don't like the idea of changing it - I've got hundreds of pieces of equipment scattered all over that took years to tweak and twist right down to what exact degree the TS faces - I do NOT want to have to do that kind of thing over, and over..... No way.
Hooray someone else with some sense, and all those who also agree. Exactly right, thank you for saying the same thing I did.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Mountaineer wrote:
I agree 100%! I hardly have time to play now, let alone having to move all my equipment every time they decide to move the spawns around.
I also agree with this, it just doesn't make any sense to learn a map and know where you'll find animals and then the next time they would be in totally different places.
I would agree on new seasonal maps for secondary & third seasons and wouldn't mind learning them for those maps if they were made.
But there is no reality to the game seasons anyway as there are no pre-rut, rut, & post rut times in the game maps which alters the animals actions & physiques so
just leave it alone.... Look what happened to RFF, you could go out of the east lodge and there would be plenty of big bull ELKs around but how often does that happen anymore?
it's just better off leaving the maps alone IMO.
Last edited by gas56 on October 1st, 2018, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokie206
Hunter

Post by pokie206 »

Bluejay wrote:
INTIMID883R wrote:
100% agree.
Ditto!
Ditto!
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Full Disclosure: If the animal maps never, ever change (even though it might be done subtly, coherently, consistently, logically, and sparingly - and only once a year) I'll still be here, but I'll always be a little bored. And yeah, I know, it's my own fault. Believe me I know.

OK, I'M JUST GOING TO SPIT-BALL NOW, SO PUT AWAY YOUR SHOTTY'S.... :shock: :lol:
HooCairs wrote: I believe random animal spawn would be bad for many reasons:
- stand setups would be pointless - only if they were randomized every time a game started - no one wants this.
- we have no scouting & finding phase - if it only happened once a year, we would start each new season with a finding phase.
- hard to bind casual players - again, only if it were random every time.
- not only spawn maps would have to be changed (or deleted) but also interest/need maps - probably, but perhaps the maps would only have to be slightly modified to still be useful - if not quite so defined.
- animals could occur in the wrong places, like bighorn sheep in the valley - well, you're reaching here, but ok, it could become an issue. But how many animals in this game need to be absolutely confined to one area?... IRL, not bighorns, not by a long shot; maybe ibex.
I'm afraid to ask, but I'm just wondering: isn't everybody just a little bored, knowing where every animal is going to be from now on, forever? I know SOME are really bored, like myself, but isn't EVERYBODY? just a little tiny bit? "Rinse and repeat" and all that? C'mon Hoo, you know you are, you KNOW you are.... ;)

I sympathize with static hunters, I get it, but I'm not a static hunter even though I have a lot of towers. I also sympathize with the fast travel and short duration hunters. But I'm an IRL hunter, so I just do not enjoy unrealistically short hunts. I like walking, a lot. And man I'm BORED with knowing which animal is going to call next. Literally!!! I would really like a little more variety, and lately, on WHI, it just felt like a breath of fresh air.

Is there no way to make this change possible without alienating the majority of players? Isn't there one decent, comprehensive compromise out there that one of us can come up with, which will improve the game without ruining it? Hopefully there is, but maybe not. If not, as I said before, I defer to the bottom line, and to the majority; because I still absolutely love this game. Absolutely.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Well, one possible way would be make it like an event, where by lets say 2 weeks the spawns are changed, so the people would know before and could change their setups or just let them alone knowing it would be normal after the event. But the real question is, can be done without mess some code and get spawns or something else broken? i know i sound kind of negative but an spawn change intended or not can have unforeseen consequences.

After all we are here in this tread talking about an spawn change that wasn't intended and happened... why happened?

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

When new animals are added to original maps all animals are effected by where they were once found because of the randomly overall spawning is effected with each
species even if EW says it doesn't effect any others after spawn roamed influences, but how many times have we seen it happen on maps when new animals are released on original maps?
If routine daily feeding(drinking), going to or going from a bedding area were defined also with spawning spots for those areas then non-aimlessly roaming wouldn't occur as it now does.
This is one feature that was left out of the Hunter animal A.I. and it really defines why an animal is at spot A, B, or C, as IRL. This is how hunters find animals and set-up accordingly in hopes
to catch an animal while going to or from a feeding area or at a feeding area. IRL I have deliberately snuck into a bedding area and have gotten to within feet of animals
and succeeded shooting them when all else has failed especially during gun season when animals change their habits due to a lot of hunting pressure from other hunters and
retreat to more safer private land bedding areas which they usually become active only after dark to roam, browse along the way going to a food source.
It's not too often but animals will set-up and have a food source in their bedding area,.. so their is no need for them to do much traveling during daylight hours, except for
browsing at tidbits within the bedding area. Animals know their area well and travel the thickest areas during the day to avoid detection and can bed at several different
areas if chased out of the bedding area they were in.
Mating is a total different situation as animals will roam during the middle of the day and plain ignore the danger when nature calls and this is why I like to hunt the Rut so much IRL.
That is another missed feature in the Hunters animal A.I. that draws Males and Females together during these times and can be unpredictable where they will be found,..
unless you know where the females are found to up your odds of taking an animal.
This stuff only touches the basic of what the game should have had in it to give it more reality the way animals behave, and seriously only reminds me of some
old hunting games where animals just roamed around aimlessly on the maps like the "Hunting Unlimited" series...........
There wasn't much insight while programming the Hunter game when it first came out and trying to make it work better than it has is probably just asking for
trouble with the way it works.
A solution for all this wide and deep changes that EW thinks needs to be made in reworking old maps may be a futile endeavor, and making new maps with new animals
has worked in the past and IMO will still work now and more of a safer bet to adhere to what works and has worked without compromising game stability, well for the
most part, there was a partial interruption when WRR was released in 2015 thru the beginning of 2016, but that was mostly server problems that caused instability of the game.
Hopefully a more stable approach will be kept within the ongoing Hunter development.
Last edited by gas56 on October 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wetland
Outfitter

Post by Wetland »

BIG Ditto from me as well to what INTIMID883R Posted above!!!

[edit] Sorry, I meant what Radamus posted above!!!

Wetland

Return to “General Chat”