Choosing weapon help

General chat about The Hunter. For suggestions, please use the "Suggestions"-room below.
RickC
Outfitter

Re: Choosing weapon help

Post by RickC »

Nathan112244 wrote:, 7mm is too basic imo and too many people have it.

Too many people have it? There is a reason it is so popular...........it is a great caliber in this game!
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

1. I can only speak for the .45-.70, but it's powerful. The falloff at longer distances is bad, but I expect that's true of all the biggest-caliber weapons.
2. I love my 7mms, but for stopping power & sound I strongly recommend the .300. The noise it makes is BRUTAL. Boom!! It IS heavier with more inventory space/wobble than the 7mm, but I'm fairly sure it's slightly stronger (dropped everything I've shot so far, thick bear & boars included, very quickly), & sounds better.
3. No experience with these, sadly.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

lassekongo wrote:Hi i have a question that i really hope someone would be kind to help me with. The thing is i cant decide between some of the calibers regarding the biggest cartridges. Which is the biggest cartridge i.e. the most powerful cartridge according to the games weapon mechanics.My qeustion is divided in three sections. I know i am asking for a lot of help here and listing alot of different calibers but i am hoping that the answers posted here will help others who are wondering the same.

Between these which one is your favorite according to stopping power and wound time and has the most brutal sound to it when you are firing the rifle.
.45-70 .405 .340 weatherby 9.3x74R

2nd: .300 9.3x62 7mm 8x57

3rd: .30 r .308 .30-06 7x64 7.62x54 .30-30
Your question is not as clear cut as you are portraying it. If you are just looking for empirical data its pretty cut & dry 1) 340 2) 300 3) 30-06. However hunting, especially in a game is not about the destination but rather the journey. All of the weapons you have listed have the power & accuracy to take anything on its ethical list even at long range. What is more important is how well do you like hunting with it? Does it look & sound good, do you like the way it "feels" & drops game? Then it becomes much more of a subjective question. I tend to gravitate to the premium guns, at least the ones I like the looks of.

Here are the rifles I tend to use the most based on your choices

Drilling: I just LOVE this gun! Its versatility with the 16ga over the 9.3x74 is great but more importantly the rifle is sufficently accurate & powerful to handle anything on its ethical list.

7mm Brake Action: All around solid gun & everyone knows pretty guns shoot better!

Liberator: This gun I just LIKE! It looks & sounds great plus has excellent iron sights! I probably wouldnt recommend this gun to most because its more of an experts gun. The cartridge is very mediocre performance wise so good shot placement is essential or you will be tracking the animal for a long time.

Stutzen: Alternate 3rd pic. Great aesthetics & performance.

Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

RickC wrote:
Nathan112244 wrote:, 7mm is too basic imo and too many people have it.

Too many people have it? There is a reason it is so popular...........it is a great caliber in this game!
well yeah its a great caliber, i have one irl. I just think the buillpup is a ugly, overpowered gun that i notice a lot of a noobs purchase as a first gun.
Nathan22Outdoors
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

LoL.
Some of us Noobs have been around since the game first went public ... or before. rotflmao.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Well if you can get the 12 month bundle and the .300 then you already have a great work horse, but if you want the biggest and better for stopping power and long distance shooting then .340 Weatherby, the only drawback is the limited ethical selection, basically only large game, while the .300 or the .7mm are much more practical, now if you find the Bullpup ugly then the .30 o/u is a great alternative, and you have an extra shot for those not so perfect shots.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
RedWolf
Spotter

Post by RedWolf »

HooCairs wrote:The .300 / 9.3x62 / 7mm's are all equal performance wise.
I have to disagree. The .300 is substantially more powerful than the 9.3x62 and 7mm's, it's not only confirmed in the field, but more importantly on the shooting range, where the .300 is able to penetrate more organs.
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

RedWolf wrote:
HooCairs wrote:The .300 / 9.3x62 / 7mm's are all equal performance wise.
I have to disagree. The .300 is substantially more powerful than the 9.3x62 and 7mm's, it's not only confirmed in the field, but more importantly on the shooting range, where the .300 is able to penetrate more organs.
It is a fact that they programmed the 7mm and 9.3x62 to be more powerful than the .300 . Overall power and power within 60m on a range are very different.
Nathan22Outdoors
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Well range shooting can go to 100mts, but imho is irrelevant which one have more power at 100mts, because anything you hit at that distance with any of those rifles is bound to die, unless you shot at a leg, or get screwed by the immortal intestine shot bug, so the difference would be which one have more stopping power at distances over 250mts or even out render, for efficient long range shots and take advantage of the ERR.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
DaveyCockett
Tracker

Post by DaveyCockett »

.347 will drop anything with one shot at range
.300 carbon fiber flat trajectory and good stopping power on buffalo even.
.30-06 lever action classic it causes bleeding so even if you get a bad shot you still will have a dead animal at the end of a blood trail.

Return to “General Chat”